Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

12 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Fair enough Axl wrote some cheesy lyrics back in the day, but he was an extremely mature lyric writer for his age 80% of the time. 

Why is he now writing lyrics that read like a 15 year old who hates Skool. 

And is it just me or do the lyrics to both Absurd & Hard Skool read like a dig at Slash? 

What lyrics read like a 15 year old who hates school? Hard Skool has almost nothing to do with school, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

And no, I don't think Absurd is about Slash. I don't see how Slash is a syphilistic priestess with a pussy full of maggots. Saying that it's about Slash seems pretty far fetched.

Hard Skool on the other hand, yeah that one is very likely about Slash. Or at least about the break up of the band. But I'm sure that Axl and Slash have talked about the lyrics and Slash is fine with it, so yeah. The lyrics are written from Axl's point of view. Not necessarily the deepest lyrics ever, but it's not superficial or bad either. It's just lyrics about life like, I don't know My Michelle or something.

Axl tends to write different types of lyrics. Sometimes they are deeper, sometimes they are less deep, but relatable, sometimes they are full of anger. There's not just one formula to writing good lyrics. When you're on an angry mood, a song about pussy full of maggots might be just what you want to hear. Not everything has to be super deep. That being said, I think Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps have fairly mature lyrics, so it's not like Axl would have abandoned that type of lyrics.

Different types of songs benefit from different types of lyrics.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Fair enough Axl wrote some cheesy lyrics back in the day, but he was an extremely mature lyric writer for his age 80% of the time. 

Why is he now writing lyrics that read like a 15 year old who hates Skool. 

And is it just me or do the lyrics to both Absurd & Hard Skool read like a dig at Slash? 

He had his moments back in the day but he seems like he may have mentally lost his edge a long ways back. Add success, only being around yes people and sycophants on the payroll to already existing mental issues and things usually start going in the wrong direction. I feel like it’s kinda swept under the rug these days, but we’re talking about a person who was paying good money to some new age quack named Yoda to essentially make life decisions for him by studying people’s faces and advising if the electric energy waves were safe enough to go to certain cities or whatever all that shit was…BTW whatever happened with all that crap? Does he still believe in it? Has he commented on it before? 

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Hard Skool lyrics are about Slash - and of course have nothing to do with school :lol: They were seemingly written shortly after the breakup and the allusions to that are very obvious to me; it's like Axl's version about Slash's last days in GnR, as he expressed it in the forum chats, made into a song.

Absurd lyrics are totally unrelated to Slash, I think.

Just read the lyrics (never listen to lyrics while enjoying music) and yeah, I'm on board with this theory.

• Like 1

The thing I love about Gn’R is every album is different. I dig the song, the leaked one might be a bit better, louder. To me this song has AFD/UYI vibes especially first hearing the bell ring. They definitely went back into time with the style of the song. Also that has to be the “heys” from eye on you right? Lol I like that song too. Loud af just like the silkworms leak. I want some weird shit for the album.. thats just me though. 

• Like 1

I want to pull the trigger on the 7", but It's a bit of a gamble when there's no pressing info. Hoping there's not TOO many since it isn't an RSD release like Shadow Of Your Love. Especially considering it's $30 for two songs.

Edited by Syk

23 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

some new age quack named Yoda to essentially make life decisions for him by studying people’s faces and advising if the electric energy waves were safe enough to go to certain cities or whatever all that shit was…BTW whatever happened with all that crap? Does he still believe in it? Has he commented on it before? 

It's called midlife crisis. and who knows what was going on in his life at the time? Some folks drown it in alcohol, others buy a Porsche and get a younger girlfriend and yet others lean towards the spiritual or religious route, getting a tarot reading or listening to some guru. Who am I to judge that? If anything, I feel sad for anyone with no friends or family close and real enough so that he has to seek outside help and inspiration to cope with the madness going on inside and around him.

What makes me question Axl's sanity is not his private life that I know nothing about, it's his artistic and business decisions.

This one is getting very positive response from the casuals on social media, as far as I've seen.

But it's hilarious to read the comments on Axl's vocals and compare them to the respective comments on Absurd.

Casual fans on Absurd: "OMG, is that Axl? What happened to Axl's voice? This sux."

Casual fans on Hard Skool: "OMG, Axl got his voice back! This rocks!"

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Joraz said:

Is it a hit? Do we think views will grow substantially larger after its finally played live?

It's 2021. In most cases, hits and views for current music are bought. The bigger the budget, the wider the reach, the more likely a "hit", especially with clever marketing. Quality of music has nothing to do with that, just marketing and enough budget. Most people will just stream, download, buy or attend whatever music they are being spoonfed. Some will even listen to a band or genre out of habit. I can sell anyone an album of you singing in the shower and make them love it. You don't need talent for that, just enough money to sell it properly and the rest will fall into place. In short, no the song is not going to be a hit, too small a budget, too amateurish to non existent the marketing, too detached the artists.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

What do you mean? Like making your own lathe cut?

Nope out on the GNR web store.

5 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I didn't know they announced the 7" single! 

Hasn't been announced anywhere as far as I can see. I went to the shop with the hopes it would be there, and sure enough it was. Also some 30th anniversary UYI stuff.

Haven't gotten as many texts about this song as Absurd but got a few. All big fans

One friend said it rips but using old vocals feels cheep.  He was happy to hear it on the radio today.

My Uncle who is at last nights show just said "Its OK.. better than Absurd I guess"

My cousin also a big fan.. Went to Vegas with me in 2016.. Said he listened to it once and they need to stop with Frankenstein CD songs bullshit..

I still can't get myself to listen to it..

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This one is getting very positive response from the casuals on social media, as far as I've seen.

Seems a little different here. Had a quick look at some of the italian music websites posting the news/video and the comment sections were full of casuals bashing it. Almost all the sites announced it as "a song originally written in the Chinese Democracy sessions and then scrapped" and the words "Chinese Democracy" carry a huge stigma in the eyes of casual fans around here (well, not only here, but still). Seen some positive comments too, but much more bashing than I thought. 

• Like 1