Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

26 minutes ago, Duwz said:

you mean checkmate... HS seems a lot cleaner

HS is a complete mess to my ears. 

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They didn't need to replicate the songs but they can make an honest effort to replicate the quality...

Thankfully they have ;)

• Wow 1

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I get maybe making a side comment if the mix isn't your cup of tea, but my God folks, change the channel already. The song is dope AF.

I mean, a lousy mix can, and it will, destroy a good song. But I like it on this one. I can hear everything very clear in my ears, and it gets me paying attention to only one instrument at several points during the song, which is good.

4 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

I really hate the negativity in this forum.. If they release a new album with new songs.. Well guess what.. It will be the same  negativity. Mix is wrong, Bring Matt or Steven back. I don't here Welcome to the jungle.. Axl can't sing.. And so on.. Why is there always a problem? 

To all of you that hate this band so much. This is what you get! Guns N' Roses 2021 😘

You have made multiple posts expressing as such, and I get it.  But this is a GNR forum where it is a trading of ideas both positive and negative.  I like the song for example but I think the mix leaves a bit to be desired from an audio engineering standpoint, especially when it comes to the drums.  Doesn't mean I hate the band

• Like 4

Releasing singles is definitely the way to go at this point.   That’s what’s frustrating about past comments from Fernando that they were trying to figure out the best way.  It’s easy today. You don’t need any record deals, Best Buy deals or any of that crap.  Write a song, record it and release it.  Sadly, no one is waiting in line at midnight to buy an album anymore.  With that said, I do hope they release a full album and in contains some new songs recently written.  It’s better late than never.  I still want more, but I’m glad to finally see things going in the right direction. 

• Like 4

I think the main thing that I think was a bit jarring is that since the drum parts are super different, the buildups to the chorus are not as dramatic and bombastic as they were on the demo.  I was so used to that, that by comparison this new version seems a bit more flat dynamically and that is especially heard going from Slash's solo parts back to the verses IMO.  But I think a better mix could have remedied that a bit

I think that you can tell that whoever is doing these mixes also is doing the Selects mixing on the Youtube channel lol

That being said, the actual parts themselves beyond that are great especially Slash's guitar work which is absolute fire, as usual

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I hope they do a limited vinyl release where the B side is "Hard Skool (Axl Vocal +1dB)."

I've listened to it on Sennheiser headphones, two bose tower speakers, and a smaller bose color ii soundlink. The vocals stand out big time on the bose color ii soundlink. I think they just went for a balanced mix that works on various setups. I don't think they are buried by any means. The guitars and everything is super heavy, so I think that's why the vocal seems quieter. The original GNR albums have the guitars quieter, almost too quiet. Nightrain isn't nearly as heavy on Appetite vs every live performance. I don't mind this song being full balls to the wall.

4 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Trash post.

Not everyone is complaining about the song. And from those complaining about the song, some (most) are complaining about certain aspects of it.
Not everyone is worshipping the song. And from those that are worshipping the song, some (most) are worshipping certain aspects of it.

Do you wanna know why? Because it's a fan forum. And in a fan forum you are going to get either constructive criticism or constructive praise.

If you want absolute blind worshipping, you can try other places :) 

Trash post no.. Just the truth about some of the so called fans here 😉 They who always write negativ things about Everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

You have made multiple posts expressing as such, and I get it.  But this is a GNR forum where it is a trading of ideas both positive and negative.  I like the song for example but I think the mix leaves a bit to be desired from an audio engineering standpoint, especially when it comes to the drums.  Doesn't mean I hate the band

Exactly!! I neither hate or love the song, but I'll still check out the full release when it comes and I'll continue to listen to the band even if the new album is average... I hope it's great though. Nobody in their right mind should be expecting songs as good and better than the main songs off of AFD/UYI... too much history/expectations to ever touch them! And i want to hear the next evolution of the gnr sound, not some bullshit rehash (not calling HS a rehash, that was a general point).

Hard skool is a good corrective step in my opinion, but like when you look it as one of the first songs people hear from Duff, Slash and Axl in 20yrs it is a bit underwhelming. It's not negative to state your opinion. Negativity would be to comment constantly saying "everything gnr do is shit, they've been shit for years and they'll never get better". I'm more optimistic 😊

4 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

Well, I've noticed that just about everyone that doesn't like it is obsessed with the leaks and the previous version. That's a weird reality to have to live in. The leaks shouldn't exist and the band isn't going to go in and re-record every part just because you've already heard it. If Axl had re-recorded vocals, yet they were the exact same melodies and notes, the bitching would be "why record new vocals if they sound the same?!". Say what you want about "opinions", but a chunk of the negativity is just whining. Almost like some of you wished Slash/Duff would have stayed away. Then you would have your leaks and nothing else, because these clearly weren't ever going to see the light of day until now. You knew what you were getting with Hard Skool before it was even released...

I bet if this song was never on a leak and it was promoted as a new song, even with a BS photo of them in the studio, people would be dying over how amazing that is and would know no different. I put the song on, crank it up, and am enjoying the shit out of it. Sucks to be the people that want to nitpick that 20 fucking year old drums aren't on a track, while bashing great 20 year old vocal takes because of their age. That doesn't make sense. Can't have it both ways. 

Unfortunately for folk like me who have heard the leak we can’t unhear it….so naturally we will compare.

I like the new version but prefer the original one (I’m none of the few who liked he original intro). No negativity from me - just a different opinion. Glad to have both!

After reading this topic I cannot but be thankfull to myself for not giving a f$#@ for leaks of unfinished demos and whatever...

The song itselfs is ok, nearest thing to GNR since UYI... Will not leave a trace in history, but cannot see GNR make song like that today, so...

Will be on my playlist here and there... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly!! I neither hate or love the song, but I'll still check out the full release when it comes and I'll continue to listen to the band even if the new album is average... I hope it's great though. Nobody in their right mind should be expecting songs as good and better than the main songs off of AFD/UYI... too much history/expectations to ever touch them! And i want to hear the next evolution of the gnr sound, not some bullshit rehash (not calling HS a rehash, that was a general point).

Hard skool is a good corrective step in my opinion, but like when you look it as one of the first songs people hear from Duff, Slash and Axl in 20yrs it is a bit underwhelming. It's not negative to state your opinion. Negativity would be to comment constantly saying "everything gnr do is shit, they've been shit for years and they'll never get better". I'm more optimistic 😊

I am out of likes, but I agree with this post 100 percent!   

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

I am shocked a bunch of millionaires who are close to 60 won’t write tunes about what they see while struggling to survive in the street

Yeah they matured into writing about their times at Skool and a biology experiment involving maggots that went horribly wrong. The growth is inspiring. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1