Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

On 9/24/2021 at 1:13 AM, Ak1nney said:

I don't think the way the drums kicks in necessarily means there was something before it. I think it just might be a cool little way to introduce the bass. If something preceded it, it would normally be cut in a way where that drum part doesn't bleed over, the bass would just start immediately. Who really knows though...

No they did it when they were playing it in soundcheck before the Columbus show, so I think it's meant to be part of the song.

21 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

The day Guns N' Roses start taking lessons from the guitar player from Creed is the day I'll stop listening to them.

There's way more to Mark than "guitar player from Creed (which doesn't exist anymore);" in any case he wasn't the one mixing his record so clearly you didn't read my post properly.

21 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Im over the moon to be getting a new song, however. It feels cut and pasted and overly sterile. Listen to HS, then listen to Down On The Farm, I know axl has moved on from Mike Clink, but he could produce this way better than Caram, and make it sound like GNR. With DOTF, listen to the drums, then guitar tone, then vocals, and it sounds like a band in the same room. HS appears to have a disconnect between instruments/vocals IMO.  Why does TSI sound better than this, it can't be the budget, they have plenty of money, and technology has increased since then. However, still hyped to be getting new song, however lackluster i feel about it.

I agree, I think they need to get a real mix engineer and producer who can help them develop their songs more and take them to the next level.

20 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’m fine if the plan is to just keep releasing singles. Even if it’s more recycled songs from back in the day. It’s all good in my book.

That would be cool.

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

So after sitting on it for a day and listening to it more times than I care to mention, my only major gripe is the drum sound. It's absolutely lifeless.

Granted, that's kind of just the "go to" modern drum sound for most music these days but it's so stale in comparison to Absurd. I'm certain it's Frank on the track but even still, I like Frank. Once again, the mix just does him no favors. His natural drum sound is great as evidenced by the soundcheck clips from on stage so why they compress it to death is beyond me.

Also feel like the fade from the end of the first chorus to the second verse is a little clunky but otherwise I dig the mix overall. Feels like a Slash solo song. With '99 vocals, of course.

The drums sound almost programmed to me, esp the kick doesn't sound like how it would with an actual person playing it. The hits are a little too on the beat if that makes sense.

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

Q104.3 in the NJ/NYC area has been playing the song a couple of times today. It's getting airplay in the biggest market of the country. The song is doing its own promotion.

As far as the song goes, I have been a fan of this song for a long time. I think it sounds MUCH BETTER than the demo.  The song needed Slash and Duff on it. Slash sounds awesome! It's  has much more of the classic GNR feel. My only complaint is there could have been a few more lyrics during the slow section of the song. Other than that it's awesome to me. I've been driving a lot today and have had the song on repeat. :)

Isn't that @Gambit83's station?

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Actually the Spotify version is quieter than the mp3 file I have. Odd

Spotify normalizes everything to a certain range, so that's why. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

To be fair, we don't actually know if it's a recent decision by Axl to include the Eye On You vocals on Hard Skool. It's possible that he made that decision already 15 years ago or so.

The Hey's and the scream might have been a part of Hard Skool most of the songs existence. At the end of the day we were never supposed to hear Eye On You. If it wasn't for the leaks we would have never known that he used vocals from another song on Hard skool.

Who knows if some vocals in the old classic songs were originally recorded for one song, but used on another song instead. We don't know cause we don't have all the unfinished songs that Axl recorded during the UYI days for example. But it's possible that he cut and pasted vocals already back then.

You have a good point there, hadn't thought about that and I take back what I said if that has been the case. It think someone even said it was a talent of Axl to connect different ideas to one song but I always imagined that this statement was based on connecting different riffs/sections, not pasting vocals. 

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not sure how true any of that is but I listened to an instrumental soundcheck and I do agree it had an old school GnR feel to some of it. 

Well if it’s true I wish the band would come out and say it. It’s a turnoff that it’s written about in every article that  it’s some CD era castoff that wasn’t good enough to be on that album that f’ing Slash wasn’t even involved with. Not a great way to sell the song to the general public in the first place, but especially if it’s not even totally accurate. 

THE LYRICS 
A different take at things: Aside from the fact that I’ve thought the lyrics are most probably about Slash, has anyone actually entertained the possibility that Axl also might have written this thing about himself? Even if it’s from around 96/97, he’d had enough time to cool off and think about the whole Slash situation with a clear head. And it could be considered as sort of a confession or atonement. I mean, the guy is not a sociopath, he knows when he fucks up. Even despite the animosity that was going on back then, he still could have written it like that. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. 

Another possibility would be he initially wrote it about Slash but now may look at it as a description of himself. Or he’s letting the audience figure it out. It’s a mystery, we don’t know, makes you think, etc. 

It’s just a thought, but as improbable as it sounds, I don’t think anyone’s looked at it from this point of view yet. 
I have one of the awesome hangovers. Sometimes you need it to be able to enter different realms and perspectives! 

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

THE LYRICS 
A different take at things: Aside from the fact that I’ve thought the lyrics are most probably about Slash, has anyone actually entertained the possibility that Axl also might have written this thing about himself? Even if it’s from around 96/97, he’d had enough time to cool off and think about the whole Slash situation with a clear head. And it could be considered as sort of a confession or atonement. I mean, the guy is not a sociopath, he knows when he fucks up. Even despite the animosity that was going on back then, he still could have written it like that. I know it sounds crazy, but think about it. 

Another possibility would be he initially wrote it about Slash but now may look at it as a description of himself. Or he’s letting the audience figure it out. It’s a mystery, we don’t know, makes you think, etc. 

It’s just a thought, but as improbable as it sounds, I don’t think anyone’s looked at it from this point of view yet. 
I have one of the awesome hangovers. Sometimes you need it to be able to enter different realms and perspectives! 

I always thought it might be about Izzy, especially if this song dates back to the mid 90’s while Slash was still there. I like your theory tho and I could definitely see that being the case. Too bad we won’t ever know for sure

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

I always thought it might be about Izzy, especially if this song dates back to the mid 90’s while Slash was still there. I like your theory tho and I could definitely see that being the case. Too bad we won’t ever know for sure

The instrumental was probably written in the mid-90s but, according to Matt's autobiography, didn't have lyrics at the time Matt was still in the band (early 1997). So the lyrics were written after Slash left.

40 minutes ago, jamillos said:

THE LYRICS 

I've entertained the idea that the song could be about Axl, but in that case who would be the person who didn't spare efforts in saving what they had? Slash? I doubt that Axl would have written a song about a heroic Slash back in the day. 😂

I'd say that it's pretty certain that at least initially Axl wrote the song from his own point of view. Slash was the one who threw it all away and Axl was the one who didn't spare efforts to save what they had. But it's possible that these days he might view it more like a song about the break up in general and it's not really relevant who is who in the song. To a certain degree they all tried to play it cool and threw it all away. To a certain degree they all tried to save what they had. It depends on the point of view. I think that the song could be seen as a song about the breakup in general.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Lipfel2 said:

After hearing the track more often, it's really hit and miss for me. In the fast bits, I enjoy Slash's guitar quite a bit, in the bridge, the drums are a big disappointment. 

But for me, it becomes more clear, that I can't understand Axl's musical standpoint. In the first breakdown part in the soundcheck, I was almost convinced, that there would be new lyrics, because the lead guitar is not that exciting and more of a backgroundsound. But instead of thinking "what new could I contribute that serves this (new) song" he goes "what do I have already recorded (20 years ago) that I could force into the song" which I feel is so limiting. I just don't understand copying the hey's and the scream from Eye On You... 

The sad part is that Slash and Duff would’ve had 2 albums out since they reunited at this point if it was up to them. Unfortunately Axl is the problem (like 94% of the time the last 30 years) and he seems to be a lazy ass who can only be bothered to point out what 20 year old song they should complete that already has finished vocals. I’m happy we got Hard Skool but the truth is the truth. Slash came back because it made sense and his main issue was that Axl show up on time. He has done that remarkably well for 6 years now. Unfortunately it seems like Axl’s desire to be creative died with the botched release of CD and whatever caused him so many issues that same year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I've entertained the idea that the song could be about Axl, but in that case who would be the person who didn't spare efforts in saving what they had? Slash? I doubt that Axl would have written a song about a heroic Slash back in the day. 😂

I'd say that it's pretty certain that at least initially Axl wrote the song from his own point of view. Slash was the one who threw it all away and Axl was the one who didn't spare efforts to save what they had. But it's possible that these days he might view it more like a song about the break up in general and it's not really relevant who is who in the song. To a certain degree they all tried to play it cool and threw it all away. To a certain degree they all tried to save what they had. It depends on the point of view. I think that the song could be seen as a song about the breakup in general.

Well put. 

10 hours ago, opalho said:

THEY'VE DONE IT

THEY'VE FINALLY FUCKING DONE IT!!!!!

I am very happy right now :)

Yeah it's great isn't it!

• 1 decent enough edited demo from 1999
  • 1 20 year old edited demo which is about as good as 'My World'
  • 2 live tracks nobody asked for

Pay now - receive in 6 months.

Don't forget, buy your tickets for 2022.  If sales struggle, we'll release Atlas Shrugged with 99 vocals.

I said yesterday that the depressing thing about that fake EP tracklist was that even though Fernando said it was false, the reality was going to be close.

What's hilarious is that fake EP that everyone was horrified by is much, much better than what we are getting.

As I've just read somewhere else, it's the EP that has outshat even the lowest of expectations!

And as they've just dropped 2 out of the 5 remaining songs they have, an album will never come.  Very best scenario is another EP in 2023 with Atlas/Perhaps/General and live stuff.

Then the vault is emptied.

Also, Beta and Fernando have been actively replying to question on how you can buy it.  When asked 'is there anything new recorded from scratch' they are silent.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Any reports from the halls of the high skools? Are kids dancing in the hallways when it gets played over the PA systems?

Not yet, buy I've seen a fair few of the 'did not happen' posts where people played the song for a friend/relative.

You know the type:

"I just played this song to my uncle who only listens to Mozart and Beethoven.  He always covers his ears when I play him songs, but I played him HardSkool and he raised his eyebrows, nodded his head and gave a wry smile"

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Fortus mentioned, before Reunion, that some of the Chinese tracks whey were working had initial ideias by old members. Maybe this one of them.

Possibly.. All I know is the vocals were taken from a NuGnR song demo.. That seems to be the most reliable source of anything since this the band doesn't say shit about anything

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

It's so funny how some people rate this song depending of how it got made and when. If they didn't have any of that info, they'd probably love it.

It's not about rating it from when it was made.

It's about GNR 'releasing new songs' when we know they are just using old vocal takes from 20 years ago.  Some inexplicably think that means new songs are coming, some understand that there are no new songs which is why we are getting 'Silkworms' dressed up as new.

Hardskool is decent enough.  Would be a good enough, enjoyable filler track on Illusions.  Same on CD - about IRS level.

People are enjoying it.  I certainly enjoyed hearing it.

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Possibly.. All I know is the vocals were taken from a NuGnR song demo.. That seems to be the most reliable source of anything since this the band doesn't said shit about anything

It seems to me that only a sworn statement from Axl, Slash and Duff that it's from 1996 would do it for you - and even that might not be enough, because the vocals are from the CD era, so the song has been permanently contaminated by NuGnR and you may be contaminated, too :lol:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It seems to me that only a sworn statement from Axl, Slash and Duff that it's from 1996 would do it for you - and even that might not be enough, because the vocals are from the CD era, so the song has been permanently contaminated by NuGnR and you may be contaminated, too :lol:

:) 

I will listen to it when I am in the mood and have a more open mind..

But yes.. I didn't like CD, Absurd and the idea of creating songs by slapping tracks over NuGnR demos isn't even remotely appealing to me.. I might be pleasantly surprised but I doubt it

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

:) 

I will listen to it when I am in the mood and have a more open mind..

But yes.. I didn't like CD, Absurd and the idea of creating songs by slapping tracks over NuGnR demos isn't even remotely appealing to me.. I might be pleasantly surprised but I doubt it

You don’t like cd or any guns music are you sure you are on the right forum lad?