UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

50 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've heard a few theories, one being that these were filmed as an "audition" to see if he was the right guy to film the YCBM video, but who knows really. The videos for My Michelle and Mr Brownstone are cool but they look like they were done pretty quickly, not really "ready for MTV" in the state we've seen them.

That’s a good point, yeah.

45 minutes ago, mystery said:

What was the original release date for the UYI albums roughly? Late Spring/early Summer?

At one point they tried to get it out by Xmas 1990 if I recall correctly and then again in July 1991.

Just now, tsinindy said:

In the US, Septemer 17th

See above.

• Like 1

I wonder if the UYI albums would've done better if they were released earlier in 1991? They wound up doing fine but you had a lot of competition in September 1991. Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam all released their biggest or most popular albums in that period. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mystery said:

I wonder if the UYI albums would've done better if they were released earlier in 1991? They wound up doing fine but you had a lot of competition in September 1991. Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam all released their biggest or most popular albums in that period. 

I think so, not even because of the competition but because they literally got those albums in during the last week of that whole era before Grunge changed rock, Nevermind came out just a week after UYI. I think UYI would have been even more huge if it had come out during the summer, it would have had more time being "cool" instead of joining a sinking ship by September. Only having 1 week before Nevermind definitely hurt those albums.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Not to mention that they started the first leg of their first tour since 1989 without the albums being out. I think the video for November Rain was a big boost for those albums. Guns was still big in that era but the Seattle bands definitely made them seem uncool. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, vicson said:

I was thinking about something. We know the setlist for The Ritz concert in 1991 and it's damn cool. But the Vegas 1992 concert has always been an enigma. We don't have the full setlist. We know Yesterdays was played since it is on "Live Era" and there is a pro shot video for it. In that version Axl says before the song "We're gonna play a couple of songs we haven't played for a while", Yesterdays being the first of them. I wonder what the other one would be. Imagine being something like Locomotive or Breakdown. It would be killer. I guess we'll have to wait for the boxset to see. Also, every single song we know that was played that night sounds killer. "Nightrain" and "Rocket Queen" were perfect that night. Can't wait for the whole show! 

I am more excited about these releases than anything else they have given us since the reunion.  Looking forward to these much more than any of the reworked CD stuff they are working on as well. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I read that Slash said there would be a new GNR album released eventually. Whatever that means? lol

I just would like to see new music from GNR not re done stuff that Axl wrote 30 years ago. I want to see what new songs would sound like with Slash and Duff and Axl writing them.

If they re-release UYI 1 and 2. I'd probably buy it. lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I read that Slash said there would be a new GNR album released eventually. Whatever that means? lol

I just would like to see new music from GNR not re done stuff that Axl wrote 30 years ago. I want to see what new songs would sound like with Slash and Duff and Axl writing them.

If they re-release UYI 1 and 2. I'd probably buy it. lol

I don't want to burst your bubble but UYI, and some of it's best songs like November Rain, were the exact same thing lol. Re-done stuff, that Axl wrote several years ago. Dead Horse and November Rain were like 9 years old by the time UYI was recorded. Didn't stop Slash and Duff from making good songs out of them.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't want to burst your bubble but UYI, and some of it's best songs like November Rain, were the exact same thing lol. Re-done stuff, that Axl wrote several years ago. Dead Horse and November Rain were like 9 years old by the time UYI was recorded. Didn't stop Slash and Duff from making good songs out of them.

Some of them, yes. But were they complete songs with guitars and drums made by someone else over 20 years before? No. Which is why I think they could use a similar approach now (with just basic chords and Axl's lyrics). But some people here are obsessed with the idea that the only way is just rehashing and embellishing complete songs like now with HS. 

As in, extremes only: Guns don't often work as other bands - so that means they can't ever do anything at all like a normal band and just... write a song every now and then? Bullshit, of course they can.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

For me the difference is, it wasn't like Axl recorded the final vocals and other things to November Rain 9 years prior, and had Slash and Duff record instruments over that 9 year old recording - they revised the composition and all had input and recorded it all within the same time span together as a band

To me the recording and collaborating in the same recording session (or at least the same year lmao) at the very least, is much more crucial to an organic sound than the time between writing the basic idea of a song, and the recording of the composition fully realized IMHO

I am sure Caram's mixing has not done the cohesion factor any favors, but I can hear the disjointedness in not just HS and Absurd, but when CD came out in 2008 I had the same feeling

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

For me the difference is, it wasn't like Axl recorded the final vocals and other things to November Rain 9 years prior, and had Slash and Duff record instruments over that 9 year old recording - they revised the composition and all had input and recorded it all within the same time span together as a band

To me the recording and collaborating in the same recording session (or at least the same year lmao) at the very least, is much more crucial to an organic sound than the time between writing the basic idea of a song, and the recording of the composition fully realized IMHO

I am sure Caram's mixing has not done the cohesion factor any favors, but I can hear the disjointedness in not just HS and Absurd, but when CD came out in 2008 I had the same feeling

100% this. It just feels wrong, because it is.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, vicson said:

The Vegas 1992 concert has always been an enigma…. I wonder what the other one would be. Imagine being something like Locomotive or Breakdown. It would be killer. I guess we'll have to wait for the boxset to see. Also, every single song we know that was played that night sounds killer.

This was my thinking when I first heard about it. We could be getting a pro shot Coma, or like you said Locomotive or Breakdown. It would fly right to the top of the greatest footage we have of this band just like that 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jadeder said:

This was my thinking when I first heard about it. We could be getting a pro shot Coma, or like you said Locomotive or Breakdown. It would fly right to the top of the greatest footage we have of this band just like that 

They'll find a way to ruin it somehow. Instead, here's the Tokyo show again for y'all! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jadeder said:

It would. The songs that we don't have a pro-shot for in the Use Your Illusion Tour are (at least to my knowledge :

- Out Ta Get Me - has been played several times in '92 - the Guns/Metallica leg of the tour

- Reckless Life - few times in '93

- Back Off Bitch - played twice in '91

- Garden Of Eden - played several times in 93 - The Skin & Bones Tour

- Bad Apples - played in the second night of Rock In Rio 91 and also at one of the 3 warm up gigs. 

- Breakdown - played two times in '91

- Locomotive - played four times in '91

Edited by vicson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vicson said:

It would. The songs that we don't have a pro-shot for in the Use Your Illusion Tour are (at least to my knowledge :

- Out Ta Get Me - has been played several times in '92 - the Guns/Metallica leg of the tour

- Bad Apples - played in the second night of Rock In Rio 91 and also at one of the 3 warm up gigs. 

so happy the garden was recentlty added to the proshot ones :shades: 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vicson said:

When was back off bitch played a second time besides the Toronto show in 91?