UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah you would think so. Do we know if they ever sold the boxes on their own…the boxes WERE very cool!

I got mine for under £300 in the end so was pretty pleased but it’s a nightmare for the folk we were early buyers.

Not sure about the boxes, but they sold the vinyl and the rings and trinkets individually.

Honestly the AFD box set release was such a clusterfuck that by the time it had reached a reasonable price, I'd lost all interest in it. Got the remastered AFD 2LP, the Sound City 3LP and the SOYL 7" (and obviously downloaded all the other songs) and I have no use for mini lithos, rings, etc. :shrugs:

22 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Not sure about the boxes, but they sold the vinyl and the rings and trinkets individually.

Honestly the AFD box set release was such a clusterfuck that by the time it had reached a reasonable price, I'd lost all interest in it. Got the remastered AFD 2LP, the Sound City 3LP and the SOYL 7" (and obviously downloaded all the other songs) and I have no use for mini lithos, rings, etc. :shrugs:

The boxes were really well made. It actually makes my eyes water that those cool boxes were trashed and smashed. 🤦‍♂️

I was sure the Sound City LPs would have ended up as RSD releases…that way they would have got a premium price for a limited number (and there absolutely would have been a clamour to get them)…but nothing….at least we got them though. 👍

• Sad 1

Something no one mentioned yet (I think):

In the Making Of Estranged there's a snippet of an instrumental with Axl whistling, which later became "Back And Forth Again" by Snakepit because Slash took back all the songs. That to be released would be something no one heard in full, it also has no other home other than a UYI thing because no other GNR album materialized after obviously, and it was recorded sometime between 1992-1993 since it was already there in the 1993 Making Of.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

In the Making Of Estranged there's a snippet of an instrumental with Axl whistling, which later became "Back And Forth Again" by Snakepit because Slash took back all the songs. That to be released would be something no one heard in full, it also has no other home other than a UYI thing because no other GNR album materialized after obviously, and it was recorded sometime between 1992-1993 since it was already there in the 1993 Making Of.

somewhere in the internet there is a clip of a rehearsing on the UYI Tour, Slash playing a jam with band and the horn section which sounds very very close to Beggars And Hangers On. He clearly plays with a bottle neck and the movements are very similare to Beaggars An Hangers On live in Sydney 2012

Edit: it was January 1993 in Sydney

Edited by t-p-d-a
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I didn't know Slash was writing music that early for what would become his first album. I always assumed it was early 1994 when the band was trying to make music which eventually came to a halt. The Estranged video was filmed in 1993 but I guess he could've had some music and ideas from then.

• 2 months later...

Some news! (Not necessaroly good news, but news). 

Apparently, the band have rejected a new Atmos mix of the UYI albums by Steven Wilson

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-30th-anniversary-coming-out-next-year.31571/

(No idea if this is a credible source, by the way)

Steven Wilson's multi-channel remixes of classic albums are usually highly regarded. Guess we'll never know what he could do with UYI.

If nothing else, if this is true it at least this shows that the UYI box project is being worked on. 

Edited by Sausagebrain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

Apparently, the band have rejected a new Atmos mix of the UYI albums by Steven Wilson

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-30th-anniversary-coming-out-next-year.31571/

Steven Wilson's multi-channel remixes of classic albums are usually highly regarded. Guess we'll never know what he could do with UYI.

If nothing else, if this is true it at least this shows that the UYI box project is being worked on. 

Another SH forums lurker ? 😉

Bad news if confirmed.

12 minutes ago, EvH said:

Another SH forums lurker ? 😉

Bad news if confirmed.

Who said I was just a 'lurker', hmmm? ;)

Lack of a surround mix will not be a deal breaker for me. Just as long as the box has max music content and minimal merch content. (Just watch them try and include a reproduction of Axl's tighty whitey on stage cycling shorts in this box)

1 minute ago, Sausagebrain said:

Who said I was just a 'lurker', hmmm? ;)

Lack of a surround mix will not be a deal breaker for me. Just as long as the box has max music content and minimal merch content. (Just watch them try and include a reproduction of Axl's tighty whitey on stage cycling shorts in this box)

Guilty as charged, eh !

Depends on the rest of the contents, but I was really awaiting this multichannel mix so I'm bummed if it's true.

Agreed about the stupid "scarf and marbles", they will probably find a way to shoehorn a mini replica of his Converse, or his cigarette holder.

The same guy who said the Atmos version was rejected (not sure if there was someone else trying the same) also said that the band didn't like the "surround sound" in general. Obviously, we know the AFD had the 5.1 treatment, so I'm not sure how credible this information is. And if it's true, maybe Steven Wilson just lost the job, but someone else could still pull it out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The same guy who said the Atmos version was rejected (not sure if there was someone else trying the same) also said that the band didn't like the "surround sound" in general. Obviously, we know the AFD had the 5.1 treatment, so I'm not sure how credible this information is. And if it's true, maybe Steven Wilson just lost the job, but someone else could still pull it out.

Atmos isn't the same as just 5.1, so they probably just didn't like it presented in Atmos. 

35 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I want the guns n roses shorts from the estranged video. I'll pay top dollar... Meaning about €40/50😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I want the guns n roses shorts from the estranged video. I'll pay top dollar... Meaning about €40/50😄

I'd be down for a replica of Axl's lil' 'Mean Machine 22' mesh football top.

Oh sod it, I'd get the leather kilt to go with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Love Steven Wilson. I had heard a while back that he was working on a “big project” for a big rock band, so had considered if it was Guns. If he did work on it and they rejected it then I think that’s an error. His work is usually exceptional (eg the King Crimson mixes he did).

14 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Well this is an absolute ‘boot in the baws (bollocks)’ as I’d hoped that we would get a 5.1 mix and Steven Wilson is probably THE number 1 person on planet Earth who you could get to do this. The fact that it’s literally been almost at completion and it’s been rejected is 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

One of he jewels in the crown of the AFD set was the 5.1 mix….if they weren’t fussed about it why were they even bothered about it being in the package…and what’s the difference in including it this time?

Hopefully if most of the work has been done it may see the light of day in the future though. You’d think with Axls fondness for the cinematic that he has mentioned before that Estranged/November Rain would have been right up his street. Garden Of Eden with all the sound effects would have been really cool too.

The poster on the forum certainly seems to suggest he has a direct line….let’s hope it could be ‘the art of distraction’ (nah - definitely not coming out….OH LOOK IT WAS INCLUDED AFTERALL 🤣) or the the label/band discuss a bit further and minds are changed. 🤞

We were so close to My World in 5.1….🤣🤣….😭😭😭😭

Edited by DTJ80
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, mystery said:

I didn't know Slash was writing music that early for what would become his first album. I always assumed it was early 1994 when the band was trying to make music which eventually came to a halt. The Estranged video was filmed in 1993 but I guess he could've had some music and ideas from then.

man you know when Fall to pieces began to come together?   WAAAAAYYYY before VR was in the works.

14 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Well, I'd say this makes the UYI re-issue even less likely. Especially for it coming any time soon. Another project for the floor of the archives would be my guess. 

Dunno man - I think it suggests it’s a ‘real thing’ and still happening.

I hope there is an about turn on the inclusion of the surround mixes though….although I guess they could be released separately in the future.

14 minutes ago, Dean said:

I may be biased, but nobody touches us for our use of the English language :lol:

🤣 it’s the first thing that came to mind when I read that news. And agreed - we certainly know how to use the language in creative ways. 🤣🤣🤣

If it gave you a laugh then job done. I must admit - I do get a laugh when I see other Scots folk say random stuff like that on random boards. 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

One of he jewels in the crown of the AFD set was the 5.1 mix….if they weren’t fussed about it why were they even bothered about it being in the package…and what’s the difference in including it this time?

You're right. And may I add: not only WTTJ and SCOM are both available in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music, but the band also wanted to test the mix of the Illusions with that Q-Sound.

And the only time I heard something with Q-Sound was when Capcom used on those Street Fighter Alpha and Marvel vs. Capom arcade machines. :lol:

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

You're right. And may I add: not only WTTJ and SCOM are both available in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music, but the band also wanted to test the mix of the Illusions with that Q-Sound.

And the only time I heard something with Q-Sound was when Capcom used on those Street Fighter Alpha and Marvel vs. Capom arcade machines. :lol:

MJ's Dangerous got the Q-Sound treatment if I'm not mistaken. I think Gn'R as a band didn't really want to try it, it was more of an Axl thing maybe.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1