UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

Just now, DTJ80 said:

Dunno man - I think it suggests it’s a ‘real thing’ and still happening.

I hope there is an about turn on the inclusion of the surround mixes though….although I guess they could be released separately in the future.

I'd say file it by the remix album, the NITL live album, etc etc. Things that were planned but just didn't happen. 

Either way, if 'they' (and I doubt very much it's 'they') have just rejected the mix, there's no way this thing is coming out any time soon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I heard to save money, they are just going to have Fernando do it in Audacity. The current holdup is he's trying to figure out how to export a sample in .mp3 to share with Melissa because the .wav is too big for the AOL servers to handle. 

That's stupid, everybody knows you can use Audiograbber for that ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say file it by the remix album, the NITL live album, etc etc. Things that were planned but just didn't happen. 

Either way, if 'they' (and I doubt very much it's 'they') have just rejected the mix, there's no way this thing is coming out any time soon. 

Certainly timeline it doesn’t seem feasible to be soon but I do think we will see it…..based on the preparation after gathering ideas on here etc it’s obviously been on the go for a while.

I get it though….we have been burnt more times than is necessary….time will tell. 🤣

Edited by DTJ80

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

You're right. And may I add: not only WTTJ and SCOM are both available in Dolby Atmos on Apple Music, but the band also wanted to test the mix of the Illusions with that Q-Sound.

And the only time I heard something with Q-Sound was when Capcom used on those Street Fighter Alpha and Marvel vs. Capom arcade machines. :lol:

What’s the actual deal with Q-Sound….did it actually sound good?  Actually I think I have the files on a hard drive somewhere! 🤣

Considering that they’re planning on including shows this time around, maybe there just simply wasn’t room for the 5.1 thing again? UYI is 30 songs, after all.

I still hope this box set happens (regardless of what’s on it) but if it doesn’t then I’ll be fine, as long as we get more cd2 leftovers instead. Though I suppose the healthy thing to do would be to not hold my breath for either.

Edited by rocknroll41

24 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Considering that they’re planning on including shows this time around, maybe there just simply wasn’t room for the 5.1 thing again? UYI is 30 songs, after all.

I still hope this box set happens (regardless of what’s on it) but if it doesn’t then I’ll be fine, as long as we get more cd2 leftovers instead. Though I suppose the healthy thing to do would be to not hold my breath for either.

It's so fucked up that the thought of a real comeback album with newly written songs by the actual band members is almost grotesque now.

• Like 1

The first post in that forum thread that mentioned the rumour about the Steven Wilson mix was in Dec. 2021, the day after the Slash interview, which means that the mix was already done (and probably already rejected) by the time Slash announced the release of the box set. So it's more likely that it's still happening, but without the SW surround mix.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

What’s the actual deal with Q-Sound….did it actually sound good?  Actually I think I have the files on a hard drive somewhere! 🤣

It was supposed to sound more like Dolby Atmos, with a "spatial sound", but obviously not as advanced. The Qsound mixes we have (from Alan Niven? Can't remember) were identical to the stereo mix. More likely, the tape source just was a lossy transfer. To reproduce it, I  guess it was required to have a digital source and the proper codec or equipment (with a DSP chip) to play it. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The first post in that forum thread that mentioned the rumour about the Steven Wilson mix was in Dec. 2021, the day after the Slash interview, which means that the mix was already done (and probably already rejected) by the time Slash announced the release of the box set. So it's more likely that it's still happening, but without the SW surround mix.

It’s crazy that the record company would pay possibly the best surround mixer on the planet to work on the UYI stuff….just to be rejected. 🤦‍♂️

He will have been paid regardless but still - why was AFD ok to have a 5.1 mix? I guess seeing as the work has been done they could revisit it at any time….at least we know it’s actually ‘done’. Slash will get asked about it at somepoint now.

The better bloody not have emptied it just do they could fit in more tattoos or damned cycling shorts….😤…..🤣

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It was supposed to sound more like Dolby Atmos, with a "spatial sound", but obviously not as advanced. The Qsound mixes we have (from Alan Niven? Can't remember) were identical to the stereo mix. More likely, the tape source just was a lossy transfer. To reproduce it, I  guess it was required to have a digital source and the proper codec or equipment (with a DSP chip) to play it. 

That’s what I was thinking - technology wise I wonder how it could have been played…..back in 1991 it would have been ultra niche. Therefore I’m surprised they didn’t release it as….well it would be a GNR thing to do. 🤣

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s crazy that the record company would pay possibly the best surround mixer on the planet to work on the UYI stuff….just to be rejected. 🤦‍♂️

He will have been paid regardless but still - why was AFD ok to have a 5.1 mix? I guess seeing as the work has been done they could revisit it at any time….at least we know it’s actually ‘done’. Slash will get asked about it at somepoint now.

The better bloody not have emptied it just do they could fit in more tattoos or damned cycling shorts….😤…..🤣

It's possible that they just didn't like the work SW did - this band is (in)famous for not being able to work with acclaimed producers/mixers - but they told him they didn't like surround in general because they didn't want to insult him. Something similar happened with Bob Clearmountain.

• Like 2

On SW what’s not clear to me is if he just did a surround sound mix, or if he also did another mix that could still see a release. Yes he is fantastic at surround, but some of the stereo remixes he has done have also been excellent. Maybe this is clear but I couldn’t work this out from what I read.

Either way as a huge SW and huge GnR fan I hope something comes of this.

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's possible that they just didn't like the work SW did - this band is (in)famous for not being able to work with acclaimed producers/mixers - but they told him they didn't like surround in general because they didn't want to insult him. Something similar happened with Bob Clearmountain.

True enough. Fingers crossed some surround version appears someday…either the SW version or another. NR could sound special in 5.1 as there is so much going on musically.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, El Guapo said:

It's so fucked up that the thought of a real comeback album with newly written songs by the actual band members is almost grotesque now.

23 hours ago, gavgnr said:

It’s crazy that we’re lining up to buy some more over-priced merch when what most of us would prefer is a new record.

Stop whining already.

AXL is in his 60's and doesn't sing well anymore. And really hasn't for many years. Even when he still could, it wasn't consistently good.

IMO AXL is and has been keenly aware of this which is why new music has never really materialized other than with vocals he performed decades ago.

Furthermore, most of you incessantly whining about new music would be the 1st to criticize if they ever released new music and it isn't any good.

Have you heard AXL sing lately? It ain't good enough.

So give it a rest.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

34 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Stop whining already.

AXL is in his 60's and doesn't sing well anymore. And really hasn't for many years. Even when he still could, it wasn't consistently good.

IMO AXL is and has been keenly aware of this which is why new music has never really materialized other than with vocals he performed decades ago.

Furthermore, most of you incessantly whining about new music would be the 1st to criticize if they ever released new music and it isn't any good.

So give it a rest.

I think it's fair criticism, not whining. I'm of the opinion that in a studio environment, on the condition Axl was interested, current Gn'R could have made a totally new album and some fans want that. They don't want 20 year old rerecorded Chinese era material. Personally, I'm very interested in anything even kinda new released, but it's a reasonable preference.

also, my guess is the lack of new Gn'R releases has nothing to do with Axl's vocal ability. It's not like he even needs a very good reason to not release music.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Sorry pal you’re wrong there. I love the singles released last year and just would like more of the same. 2016 was six years ago and two songs in that time period is pretty piss poor by any band’s standard 

• Like 2

Just now, thunderram said:

Stop whining already.

So give it a rest.

So, we shouldn't want new music in case we don't like it? 

Great logic! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, thunderram said:

Stop whining already.

So give it a rest.

Why don't you stop whining about other people whining? :wow:

Axl's vocals sound awesome on the Looney Tunes studio track. 

• Haha 1