2023 WORLD TOUR

12 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Well there you go everyone. El Guapo from mygnr said it's gonna suck. Everyone better be selling their tickets now.

Done. Glad I got the warning 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at some big acts that are touring in 2023, i feel a little depressed when thinking about GN'R.

Alice Cooper - new setlist, live debuts, new opener, one song for the first time since 1991, other first time since 2017, new set closer.c

Metallica - two nights in a row, two entire different setlists, songs that weren't played since a long time, new stage, new songs.

Bruce Springsteen - 30 concerts in, 56 songs played so far, not the same song opening or closing the set, not the same set length everynight.

GN'R - ?

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

54 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

Looking at some big acts that are touring in 2023, i feel a little depressed when thinking about GN'R.

Alice Cooper - new setlist, live debuts, new opener, one song for the first time since 1991, other first time since 2017, new set closer.c

Metallica - two nights in a row, two entire different setlists, songs that weren't played since a long time, new stage, new songs.

Bruce Springsteen - 30 concerts in, 56 songs played so far, not the same song opening or closing the set, not the same set length everynight.

GN'R - ?

They seem almost to be self-sabotaging at this stage. What are they offering to potential ticket buyers? 

Big stage show? Nope. They stopped even the limited pyro. 

New show? Very unlikely- will more than probably be pretty much the same setlist. No new material obviously. 

New experience? Nope. Stadiums they've mostly already played. 

Rare chance to see them live? Nope, the tour has been round Europe/US for years now. 

Cheap prices? Nope. 

Big promotional push to sell tickets? Nope. 

I just can't for the life of me work out what they're doing to attract people. The 'casual fan' gets mentioned a lot on here, but what draw is there for a casual fan now? Doesn't seem to be any to me. 

As for ticket sales....well it's hard to know with Ticketmaster and their 'illusion of false demand' tricks. Norway got downsized is about all we know for sure. 

It does seem though that they're making less than zero effort to promote this tour or push ticket sales. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FabioRoses said:

GN'R - ?

The point you make is valid, but Alice Cooper is a baaad example in this scenario - you're making it sound a lot more exciting than it was. I saw the second night of the tour over the weekend in Youngstown, and it was probably the most underwhelming show I've seen from Alice in 40+ times on about 8 different tours. To your points on his setlist:

- The live debut you mention (I'll refrain from naming songs in case anybody is seeing him and avoiding spoilers) looks a lot more exciting on paper than it really is - in reality it's a very short intro that's only maybe 45 seconds long that only serves as an opening to the show. Alice sings one verse and that's it - onto one of the staples. And it's a song that nobody except the absolute most die-heard Alice fans know. It's more a novelty than a legitimately exciting talking point, and I say that as it being off my favorite of his solo albums and only having seen one song from that album before. 
- The song not played since 1991 is a good choice in my opinion and one I've wanted to hear for some time, but it's also not exactly a popular song even amongst diehard fans and most of the crowd will still be going "huh?"
- The song not played since 2017 is a staple that get's played more often than it does not - it's certainly not a "wow, look at this exciting song Alice Cooper is doing" type song. 
- The closer is a song that only gets played during a specific timeframe nowadays, can't elaborate on that without giving away what the song is. Also worth noting that the last time it was an appropriate song choice Alice wasn't able to play it for obvious reasons. 

Besides all that, there's a lot more negatives to the new show than there are positives. This new show is, in the strictest sense, the most "greatest hits"-y Alice Cooper show I've ever seen. There were exactly no new bits of stage show/production than than a new stage set...which nobody interacts with at all. He does all of the appropriate theatrics, but there's no connective tissue between any of it - there's never that story aspect. So Alice gets executed as you expect - but there's no reason. There's no him killing somebody, doing something evil, just "well, it's time to execute Alice". He gets executed in the straightjacket, then immediately comes back onstage in the next song still wearing the straightjacket - why? It's all extra frustrating because Alice made promises before this tour that did not come to fruition - new stage (yes), new theatrics (no), some of the staple theatrics being retired (no, at least not the specific examples he gave), totally revamped setlist (no, at least not beyond the songs detailed above. Four out of 25 is now a "whole new show"). This isn't the first time Alice has made big promises about a new show and not met them. 

This is all a bit rambling, and it's certainly not as stale as we've come to expect from GN'R, but it's definitely a very bad example up alongside Metallica and Springsteen who actually are doing really exciting things on tour this year. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

For a good laughD3-F25155-B246-420-A-87-B2-BA11-A236-AA4 check out how many tickets are available for the Phoenix show 😂

Then it'll end up on Groupon and that live nation $25 all in sale that happens every year. Between merch and beer sales everyone still makes money. 

• GNFNR 2

14 hours ago, allwaystired said:

One support act a stadium show? They've always done two minimum in the past I'm sure......

More cost cutting? 

The Pretenders is a big act though. I would assume they cost more than Grace McKagan, Tyler Bryant and whatever the other ones were called. Gojira, Volbeat, Greta Van Fleet and Manic Street Preachers are bigger names, but still not like Pretenders. When I saw GNR in 2017 at Werchter Classic Festival, Pretenders were there too. I would enjoy seeing them again, as I would assume many people in their forties or over would. They have lots of classics everyone knows. Chrissie Hynde is great. Calling her the chick who sang with Phoebe is like calling Axl the dude who rocked the rock with Bugs Bunny. (I know it wasn't you who said that.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lio said:

The Pretenders is a big act though. I would assume they cost more than Grace McKagan, Tyler Bryant and whatever the other ones were called. Gojira, Volbeat, Greta Van Fleet and Manic Street Preachers are bigger names, but still not like Pretenders. When I saw GNR in 2017 at Werchter Classic Festival, Pretenders were there too. I would enjoy seeing them again, as I would assume many people in their forties or over would. They have lots of classics everyone knows. Chrissie Hynde is great. Calling her the chick who sang with Phoebe is like calling Axl the dude who rocked the rock with Bugs Bunny. (I know it wasn't you who said that.)

Oh, the Pretenders have some good tunes in my view. I've got their Greatest Hits....but I'd say the likes of Volbeat and Great Van Fleet are far more popular these days. 

My 'cost cutting' comment was more around the fact they're only having one support act it seems. Two seems the minimum for Stadiums these days.