The General Music Video Discussion Thread

It's okay. Nothing amazing, but not as bad as the over-the-top reactions here would suggest (but I expect nothing less these days).

I'm more surprised that they bothered with a music video at all. It's 2024. MTV isn't what it once was and people consume media differently – what on earth is the point in a music video?

The fact they've made an effort with something they really didn't need to is quite something given what these guys are usually like. And an extension to that point – anyone disappointed it's not a big budget production with the band acting in it, more fool you. Lower your expectations.

• Like 2

Just now, DoMw94 said:

It's okay. Nothing amazing, but not as bad as the over-the-top reactions here would suggest (but I expect nothing less these days).

I'm more surprised that they bothered with a music video at all. It's 2024. MTV isn't what it once was and people consume media differently – what on earth is the point in a music video?

The fact they've made an effort with something they really didn't need to is quite something given what these guys are usually like. And an extension to that point – anyone disappointed it's not a big budget production with the band acting in it, more fool you. Lower your expectations.

MTV? Have you not heard of YouTube? It's been around for a while mate and music videos do massive business on it.

No one here is disappointed that it's not a "big-budget production with the band acting in it", you've just pulled that out of your ass. People are disappointed because it's objectively shite. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DingBat said:

MTV? Have you not heard of YouTube? It's been around for a while mate and music videos do massive business on it.

No one here is disappointed that it's not a "big-budget production with the band acting in it", you've just pulled that out of your ass. People are disappointed because it's objectively shite. 

Yes, and it's got millions of different things on it, nobody's going to go out of their way to watch a music video on YouTube. Look at shorts, the go-to form of online video now – you'll see clips from TV shows, live performances, bespoke stuff, but no music videos. The world doesn't care about them. They were invented for a dead medium.

Erm... there's 10 pages of complaints here and stuff all over social media. It's been said. People who want a video generally want more than this. It ain't happening these days.

Objectively? No. Opinions are subjective...

• Like 1

Are we reading the same forum? :lol:

If they're gonna do an 'animated' video, do it properly. This is so poorly done that it's honestly funny. Whoever said this would look dated in 6 months was being very generous...

Most here would've been happy with less - a simple live montage like Perhaps, or just a lyric video.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Yes, and it's got millions of different things on it, nobody's going to go out of their way to watch a music video on YouTube. Look at shorts, the go-to form of online video now – you'll see clips from TV shows, live performances, bespoke stuff, but no music videos. The world doesn't care about them. They were invented for a dead medium.

Erm... there's 10 pages of complaints here and stuff all over social media. It's been said. People who want a video generally want more than this. It ain't happening these days.

The video for the current number 1 in the US, Jack Harlow's 'Lovin On Me' currently has 55 million views though. 

That's an awful lot of people who have gone out of their way to seek out and watch that video. I'd argue music videos are as big a deal as ever, possibly more so. 

• Like 3

Why do they bother making this at all? The hip crowd won't pay attention anyway because it's GNR and the old school crowd won't watch it again because it's, well, GNR.

GNR is known for GREAT music videos, November Rain being one of the most (the most?) watched music videos ever. The stuff they've put out on YouTube since the reunion feels like they are not even trying.

I liked what they did for the Perhaps video - shots from live concerts, some backstage and touring footage, some fan reactions, nicely shot and edited. Works for me, even if it's just an average song for GNR standards, the video lifts the song up a notch. The General is not a great song in the first place and the video doesn't make the song any better.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

A dead medium? :lol:That'll explain the tens of billions of views music videos get each year on YouTube then. Do you think videos were getting that kind of exposure on MTV? The music video industry has never been bigger. Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

There are contemporary music videos on YouTube from the likes of Rosalia, Ed Sheeran, Residente, Bad Bunny, Adele, The Weekend, Luis Fonsi, etc, etc, that have amassed tens of billions of views on single videos alone, but because you don’t watch music videos on there you think no one else does.

Yeah, there are complaints on here about the video, but no one has said they don't like it because it isn't some "big-budget production with the band acting in it", you've just made that up. And if there are comments like that on social media go and talk to them about it, no one here is or was expecting that.

Objectively? Yeah, I meant what I wrote, it’s not some high-art experimental music video that we’re all too stupid to get. It’s a cheap, poorly-made, amateur video from a band that has the funds (but obviously not the inclination) to do much, much better. 

Edited by DingBat

My biggest complaint is that this video caters to no one, save maybe Axl and/or anyone else in the band whose creative prowess was expressed. I was born in ‘93 and can confidently say the millennial fans don’t like it. I don’t think the fans older than me like it and the fans younger for sure don’t… Like Ian Malcolm said, they were so busy thinking about whether they could or couldn’t that they didn’t stop to think about whether they should. 

"Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine."

I bet this is referencing the alligator video. That looked straight out of unreal engine. They were probably expanding upon that originally.

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

"Kickstart" implies there is more to come in 2024. 

No, I think it's just referencing the fact that it's January of a new year. They're kickstarting the year with a video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

why are all the comments for the reddit discussion deleted?

https://old.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/19elxty/guns_n_roses_the_general_official_music_video/

the reddit moderators are weird

Reddit mods 100% have TB ties. Just like Jarmo in the old days. They protect the band/Axl by censoring half the sub

• Sad 1