GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

22 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Just looked at the twitter thread for the announcement.....folks getting fired into the band/management BIGTIME. Asking where the new material is, NITL cd/br, selects etc and going mental about this ‘cash grab’!!

TBH - I fully understand folk going crazy at lack of ‘new material’ (of course) but don’t see the hate for this. If you don’t want it fine - but for those of us that do, then happy days!

I'm still surprised how naive people are about new material. Even during the first parts of the NITL tour I saw people saying things like 'yeah, apparently they're recording while they're on tour' and 'the new album will come out sometime during the tour'. I don't bother with social media any more so don't see what every clown with access to the internet says about things from behind a screen.....but it's interesting that people seem to be now acting this way. Seems the pressure is certainly on for them to do something different heavily. 

As a Guns N Roses fan and a Newcastle United fan... man what a shitty week.

This is our 2020 release...? Not bad but... just meh. Like languishing in 17th each season.

No doubt I'll buy it, as I will still continue to hand money over to Newcastle. What a fool I am.

20 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

I hate to complain about everything but this release was lazy in 2004. They could have atleast replaced SFTD, Ain't It Fun, and SIDHY.

There is a certain amusement in that they were all united in outrage at it's release in 2004 and tried to stop it happening.....then in 2020 reissue it themselves on a format considered too archaic to release it on originally! 

• Like 1

I will probably buy both versions of this, because like RussTCB, I am a completionist. With the $644 I’m getting back from the ticket refund, I am still going to put some of my money, albeit a smaller amount, into Fernando’s hands.

Fuck.

11 hours ago, feli1269 said:

Slash is left handed in the Picture Disc. UMG is so fuckin stupid

He’s Jimi Hendrix now.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I hear ya, trust me. I'm the first guy to say "vote with your wallet" when it comes to GN'Rs bullshit. I also already own every song on this set on vinyl.

However.......I'm a total completionist. I just am. I'm not happy about it, but that's how I work lol. 

For example; I have all 15 Pink Floyd studio records on vinyl. Plus I have their live albums. I still bought several of their hits packages though, just to be complete. 

I totally realize that makes no sense, but it doesn't make sense to still be a fan of GN'R to begin with lol. 

Russ, I totally get where you are coming from and agree with nearly everything you said on this forum 😄 But please don’t let me down and don’t buy this shit. 😉😄

As you do I got thousands of records and in the past I considered my self as a „completionist“ when it comes to a lot of bands in the past. But when I got older I came to a point where I asked myself more often do I really need this?! I know, sometimes its hard to not pull the trigger. For me it’s even harder when it comes to GNR, my „first real love“ which kinda still lasts after 30 years like an old marriage 😄 See, I was one of the idiots who bought the L&L box on its release day and guess what: I hardly opened the box three times since then 😄 

After this whole L&L shit I promised myself I will never ever spent a cent on GNR product unless its a quality realease and its reasonably priced. And this Greatest Hits LP isn’t .

Instead of spending 40€ on this crap I will support young bands and buy three cool albums with fresh and new music by them, maybe even nice DIY releases. 

By the way: Do you really own all GNR releases? All original EPs, all 12“ and all 7“? I do not. I still do miss some and will e.g. rather spent 20€ on a mint 1991 YCBM 12“ than 40€ on a shitty 2020 Greatest hits album. 

Please dont get this post as an offend. I highly expect you to know how it’s meant. 😃

Edited by zigzagbigbag

Guys, GnR greatest hits is one of the best selling albums of all time.  It's only the fifth album in the history of the billboard 200 to chart for 500 weeks.  It's sold over 11 mil copies world wide.  

Anybody who is surprised that they are putting it on a physical media that actually sells today is just acting silly.  Why wouldn't Universal do it?  My only surprise is it took this long, I would have figured Universal would have done this 3 years ago.  Anybody saying it's a cash grab, of course it is.  Every greatest hits is a cash grab.  That's the point of it.  

Anyway I nabbed the silver splatter record.  Shit looks awesome and I'm always happy to add some GnR to my vinyl collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

Guys, GnR greatest hits is one of the best selling albums of all time.  It's only the fifth album in the history of the billboard 200 to chart for 500 weeks.  It's sold over 11 mil copies world wide.  

Anybody who is surprised that they are putting it on a physical media that actually sells today is just acting silly.  Why wouldn't Universal do it?  My only surprise is it took this long, I would have figured Universal would have done this 3 years ago.  Anybody saying it's a cash grab, of course it is.  Every greatest hits is a cash grab.  That's the point of it.  

Yes, it makes perfect sense (from a corporate POV) that UMG is releasing this now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2020/07/29/guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-is-the-fifth-album-in-history-to-chart-for-500-weeks

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Matinator said:

I said this earlier on FB but if they had thrown 1 new song on this thing we all would have bought it. Hell if they put a NITL version of a CD song most of us would have bought it.

Yeah if they did that I would buy it. Put Hardschool and a rerecorded CD and I'm interested.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it makes perfect sense (from a corporate POV) that UMG is releasing this now:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2020/07/29/guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-is-the-fifth-album-in-history-to-chart-for-500-weeks

Now we just need greatest hits to go to #1 and knock Taylor Swift off.

• Like 1

Hold on. They're going to release a vinyl for a record they tried to block legally 16 years ago? And to add insult to injury they're going to include a 35 year old song as some sort of enhancement? As if passing SOYL as somewhat of a "new track" on this tour wasn't ridiculous enough?

Is Slash agreeing to put Sympathy For the Devil on a Guns N' Roses greatest hits? 

How the mighty have fallen.

Easily the biggest joke of a band on the planet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They're definitely really missing a trick by not putting a brand new song on there. 

SOYL is an interesting inclusion but if they went for an all new track (maybe the lead single of the new album? 🤞) then it would have resulted in significantly more interest/ sales.

Another very weird GNR decision. I had to buy it though as the first 'new' GNR album since 2008 😂

56 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Haha really?

is it possible that this is just to wrap up the obligations with the label? 
then release the new album on their own label

I don't think a release of an already existing album in a different format counts.

4 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Anyway I nabbed the silver splatter record.  Shit looks awesome and I'm always happy to add some GnR to my vinyl collection.

Bit of a myth about how much vinyl sells. CDs still massively outsell vinyl. 

Here's a sobering figure- the second best selling vinyl in the UK this year so far is a re-print of a Manic Street Preachers album.

It sold just 2,300 copies to get that postion. They really don't sell well at all. But much attention is placed on them because their sales rose (slightly) in recent yeara, bucking the general downward trend of physical media sales. 

There's a really interesting article on the misconception that vinyl sells, backed up with all the facts and figures (an out of fashion thing these days I know, in an era where people don't need facts!) If you're interested in the whole thing. It's a very weird false narrative that has taken hold, seemingly fuelled by media drive to make articles. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

2 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Hold on. They're going to release a vinyl for a record they tried to block legally 16 years ago? And to add insult to injury they're going to include a 35 year old song as some sort of enhancement? As if passing SOYL as somewhat of a "new track" on this tour wasn't ridiculous enough?

Is Slash agreeing to put Sympathy For the Devil on a Guns N' Roses greatest hits? 

How the mighty have fallen.

Easily the biggest joke of a band on the planet.

What did Slash have against SFTD ? I haven’t actually heard that one?

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

They're definitely really missing a trick by not putting a brand new song on there. 

This is what really confuses me. I think almost all hardocre fans would by the greatest hits if it had a new song on it, in addition to the decent numbers I'm sure it'll do regardless.

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Just looked at the twitter thread for the announcement.....folks getting fired into the band/management BIGTIME. Asking where the new material is, NITL cd/br, selects etc and going mental about this ‘cash grab’!!

TBH - I fully understand folk going crazy at lack of ‘new material’ (of course) but don’t see the hate for this. If you don’t want it fine - but for those of us that do, then happy days!

I did notice there was an uptick in 'new music' sentiment in the comments. I doubt UMG really care, 'Greatest Hits' is infinitely more profitable than a new album would be (sadly).

Tbh the same is under every album repackaging. Even under the Stones new 'Goat Head Soup' re-release there were people moaning about 'milking it'. And that had NEW SONGS!!

I just think it's just a bad look to put this out when the EU tickets have not been sorted yet.

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Bit of a myth about how much vinyl sells. CDs still massively outsell vinyl. 

Here's a sobering figure- the second best selling vinyl in the UK this year so far is a re-print of a Manic Street Preachers album.

It sold just 2,300 copies to get that postion. They really don't sell well at all. But much attention is placed on them because their sales rose (slightly) in recent yeara, bucking the general downward trend of physical media sales. 

There's a really interesting article on the misconception that vinyl sells, backed up with all the facts and figures (an out of fashion thing these days I know, in an era where people don't need facts!) If you're interested in the whole thing. It's a very weird false narrative that has taken hold, seemingly fuelled by media drive to make articles. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

Very true, most analysts seem to look at the 'growth' in sales as opposed to the actual volume shifted. Same with Cassettes. And most music stores have sidelined CD's to make more floor space for vinyl. I guess the profit per unit is better for them?

Vinyl is still a serious market, and the increased cost of the records means the sector can punch above its weight in terms of attention. Last year the highest selling vinyl in thhe UK sold 30,000 units. Which at about 20 a pop isn't too bad.

And you'll be hard pushed to find a major new release that doesn't release on Cassette and Vinyl.

It's interesting as many, many, many people collect the vinyl but will only listen to the music online. Personally I like CD's, gives you a physical media and allows you more freedom. They'll probably come back in fashion when they are looked back upon as relics.