Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

9 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Axl always surprises us. I’ve heard the same complaint in 2002 and 2016.

At least in 2002, 2014, etc. the argument could still be made that 'he can still sound good when he wants to'. That hasn't been the case for a few years now... I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't expect him to sound great when he returns.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

4 hours ago, axlvai said:

The new 50 sec leak of Coma from Tokyo 92 kick the fuck out all this shit.

If GnR upload some sneak peak like that in their social media..... the world would explode.

That 50 sec leak sounds okay but it’s just a very tiny segment /sample of a song. In the few lines of Axl singing, some of it sounds like a cat being raped by an elephant. 

And besides, what would be the point of uploading these onto the official GnR sites? Like this was how interesting the band was 30 years ago, but now, hmmm...

Edited by DownUnderScott
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

And besides, what would be the point of uploading these onto the official GnR sites? Like this was how interesting the band was 30 years ago, but now, hmmm...

Well, if their next release is gonna be a UYI box set, I'd much rather see footage from the UYI tour than from NITL...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

That 50 sec leak sounds okay but it’s just a very tiny segment /sample of a song. In the few lines of Axl singing, some of it sounds like a cat being raped by an elephant. 

No

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Ok but you do understand as time goes on nature takes it's course right? He's approaching 60 years old and his voice has been in free fall since 2016 ... 

Theres plenty of singers out there older than Axl and sounding great. They take care of themselves and voice.

Alot of singers also do not tour so endlessly and heavy to save their voices.

Oh and practice/rehearse.

Edited by vloors

1 hour ago, vloors said:

Theres plenty of singers out there older than Axl and sounding great. They take care of themselves and voice.

There is also plenty of singers out there older than Axl and sounding worse. 

So maybe we can conclude that people age differently? Maybe the voices are different and age differently or some people find it harder to maintain their voices than other people do?

• Like 3

Axl definitely can surprise us. He sounded bad in 2002 and then came back full-on in 06. He sounded bad since 2011 and then came back in 2016 and sounded like a god with AC/DC – which is where he subsequently wrecked his throat. He can sound like he did with GN’R in 2016 again. But the key would be less touring. Just do 4 to 6 shows a month and only tour for a year. Release a recording. Release old footage. Make pauses, take it easy, work on new stuff. You don’t have to tour the whole fucking world for 3 years, playing the same songs at 3+ hour shows. Make shows 1.5 hour long and shuffle the playlist. Use songs that fit your current form. 
Oh and hire a proper PR team. 
Goddamn it! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Nobody is gonna wanna pay 150€ for a 90mins show. Plus, the fact that his voice is always better at the end of a tour indicates less shows wouldn't solve anything

I disagree, other bands do it, so can Guns. Or it may be a bit cheaper, we don’t need the huge NITL production anymore, do we. His voice doesn’t get better at the end of a tour – his voice gets better after a few shows at the beginning, but it obviously starts getting worse towards the end. Ever since 2006 (I think '07 was a bit weaker), but definitely since 2010. This would help a lot. Thinking the current version is the only way it could be done is deluded. Anything can be changed, it’s just that we’ve been used to certain routines for so long that we think that’s the only option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I disagree, other bands do it, so can Guns. Or it may be a bit cheaper, we don’t need the huge NITL production anymore, do we. His voice doesn’t get better at the end of a tour – his voice gets better after a few shows at the beginning, but it obviously starts getting worse towards the end. Ever since 2006 (I think '07 was a bit weaker), but definitely since 2010. This would help a lot. Thinking the current version is the only way it could be done is deluded. Anything can be changed, it’s just that we’ve been used to certain routines for so long that we think that’s the only option. 

Well, the stay at home people might prefer a shorter set. When I'm seeing guns live, I wanna see a full blown 3.5hr show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Well, the stay at home people might prefer a shorter set. When I'm seeing guns live, I wanna see a full blown 3.5hr show. 

Of course, to each their own. But I can do without the noodling, 20-minute KOHD, "improvs", etc. My back is killing me as it is! :D

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

They just started yesterday.

I thought they were recording prior to covid

3 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Rather quality over quantity for sure

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

I like the long shows too, personally. I don't have any complaints about that side of the live experience. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:25 PM, allwaystired said:

There were still some great shows up to 2019 I think. After that it just seems there was a general lack of interest. 

The only reason I can think of for showing these poor shows is that they might be saving the good ones for some of official release? Otherwise, I'm totally at a loss as to why you'd want to highlight weak performances over strong ones! 

Nah, it's very unlikely they've chosen to purposefully choose sub par content just to hold on to later release the good stuff. I don't think they know what they have, whoever is picking the content isn't concerned with how the bands performance is or the mix. 

It's a small bit of effort, but going through a set and finding one minute of Axl sounding amazing is not an impossible task for almost any show. But you would A) need to care B) know what you're doing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

I don't mind a long set, I just don't want a set that feels long. Gnrs set feels long and there's a definite lull in the middle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Of course, to each their own. But I can do without the noodling, 20-minute KOHD, "improvs", etc. My back is killing me as it is! :D

I agree. Once a show, any show, gets above 2 hours I'm losing interest even it was Zeppelin who have a much bigger catalogue than GNR. 

GNR with a set padded out with covers and solos would kill me.

My favourite era of GNR was actually when they were opening and they used to come out and put on this ridiculously intense set. When they started to headline it was good at first but then slowly got more bloated and boring IMO.

One of the best shows I've ever seen was the Sex Pistols on their reunion tour when they came out and just hammered it relentlessly for 60 mins and left. I don't even remember there being an encore. It was the biggest pit of any show I've ever seen by a long way and certainly one of my most memorably gigs - it was almost like what just happened.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

How can they be "stay at home" people if they're out at a show.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't mind a long set, I just don't want a set that feels long. Gnrs set feels long and there's a definite lull in the middle. 

Totally this, I feel the same way about movies also.

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

How can they be "stay at home" people if they're out at a show.

Totally this, I feel the same way about movies also.

Me too about the movies, the goal is supposed to be to entertain the audience. I still think gnr shows suffer from people leaving before the ends and that starts around the 2hr mark, most people are soent by then. Cut the unnecessary filler shite and get to the entertainment. That doesn't mean just play the hits or don't take solo spots... it does mean don't take the piss, and gnr are king ribbers😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Euchre said:

I agree. Once a show, any show, gets above 2 hours I'm losing interest even it was Zeppelin who have a much bigger catalogue than GNR. 

GNR with a set padded out with covers and solos would kill me.

My favourite era of GNR was actually when they were opening and they used to come out and put on this ridiculously intense set. When they started to headline it was good at first but then slowly got more bloated and boring IMO.

One of the best shows I've ever seen was the Sex Pistols on their reunion tour when they came out and just hammered it relentlessly for 60 mins and left. I don't even remember there being an encore. It was the biggest pit of any show I've ever seen by a long way and certainly one of my most memorably gigs - it was almost like what just happened.

I'm amazed they played for 60 minutes, as they barely have that amount of material! 

I opted out of those shows, even though they're one of my favourite bands, as I don't like living in the past, trying to recreate it, nostalgia, etc. Bands have their moment and if I missed it first time, then, bad luck me. Would have loved to have been there in the 70s, but I wasn't. I don't want to miss the bands of now. No point looking backwards. All that stuff. You know the drill. Yet......here I am on a GNR forum in 2021! Hahaha!