"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:10 AM, jamillos said:

(It's Dallas 91, it's written right there, I'm an idiot. Looks mind blowing.) 

I coukd be wrong, but thought there was a story about that. I thought there was a reason why he was like that and i think something to with either axl getting hassled by security or the cops that day.

Edited by Sydney Fan

13 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I coukd be wrong, but thought there was a story about that. I thought there was a reason why he was like that and i think something to with either axl getting hassled by security or the cops that day.

Interesting, he definitely looked pissed off. 

It was the first show after St. Louis. Also, here's this: 

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4990-12-january-july-1991-touring-mayhem

Oh and here is this!

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1835-1991-07-08-starplex-amphitheatre-dallas-usa

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1836-1991-07-09-starplex-amphitheatre-dallas-usa

https://web.archive.org/web/20190801083318/http://www.gnrontour.com:80/

Edited by jamillos

On 10/17/2020 at 2:29 AM, Rovim said:

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

Just to bump this, if i remember as part of the China Exchange interview when axl was asked whether slash and duff have heard any unreleased material and axl said " yes and they like what they have heard". So i feel that whatever has been heard will be worked on and released as part of the new album. 

Im still thinking the next album will be hybrid. Mixture of new and CD2 material.

9 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im still thinking the next album will be hybrid. Mixture of new and CD2 material.

I think that is the most likely scenario if Axl actually pulls the trigger on a new release. It has the potential to be interesting cause Axl's approach to it could be balanced with Slash's and Duff's more direct style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

I was wondering why Duff don't do a solo on the NITLT tour like in Oklahoma for exemple or Tokyo ? It was so great

You mean a bass solo? Probably because it would bore the arse off most of the stadium. If you're talking about that bit where he farts about with Sorum for ages, that was a constant 'fast forward' on my Tokyo Live VHS tapes! 

Really, no-one wants that sort of thing in a live show! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You mean a bass solo? Probably because it would bore the arse off most of the stadium. If you're talking about that bit where he farts about with Sorum for ages, that was a constant 'fast forward' on my Tokyo Live VHS tapes! 

It's funny cause it's true! :D

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm ok with a bass solo as long as there isn't a Frank drum solo.

On 11/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, jackparker123 said:

Liam Gallagher has today announced a special paid for gig live stream, filmed on a boat going down the river Thames.

Meanwhile, radio silence from GNR.

#TheNextChapter

I want to do a long topic post about how the GNR reunion compares to Liam's comeback.

Compare how Liam courted the hardcore fans, worked to improve his vocals and the constant releases to how GNR are managed. 

• Like 3

Sad and frustrating as it is with Guns silence, I sometimes wonder if its down to professional limitations? Like could Axl do a solo acoustic set from home? Both musically, and is he is comfortable hosting it?

The big three all are very awkward. I just cant picture them doing Wired AutoComplete interviews or Hot Ones. They dont have that aspect of the showbiz skill set cultivated.

Slash is, in my estimation, the most primetime ready. Hes done Ellen and Conan, etc, etc. Hes also done some "new normal" online stuff, like that zoom video that included Gilby. Not trying to take that from him or exaggerate. (Hes also done the least Guns media sine NITL, until the pin ball machine)

But I think theyd all, or at least Axl and Duff, benefit from some coaching to make them more prepared to take more opportunities under the spotlight?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I thought Axl was quite charming and funny in the Kimmel interview. I think that maybe the 3 of them are pretty good at giving interviews, you know... just from watching how they used to do it in the late 80's and 90's.

when you got something to promote and not everything is a fuckin' secret maybe it's easier and more enjoyable to be interviewed. I didn't get an awkward vibe when they had the option to speak freely.

that 2014 Swedish interview with Slash when the interviewer asked him about him and Axl being friends again and Slash shutting it down abruptly was super awkward though and not at all like how Slash seems to handle it normally, but maybe I'm missing something, idk.

as for Liam compared to Axl, I admire his approach and attitude, I just think they're very different people maybe and musicians. Liam doesn't really give a fuck, it's possible he's just doing what he always done.

Moving forward, making music cause it could be boring not to release anything when you like to create and perform while Axl seems to take himself and Gn'R way too seriously to not overthink it and I believe he pays too much attention to the bs and details and what everything means so he doesn't gain momentum very often and then there's the lack of deadlines and impossible standards

(like the recent interview with Dave from Pearl Jam indicates how Axl wanted new Guns to be bigger than the classic line up for example) eventually led him to release only 1 album in 30 years and basically playing the same tunes for decades.

I personally find them tremendously awkward. But Im not a professional interviewer, who Im sure can guide them along. 

As a fan I find it endearing how much Axl tries to communicate with hand gestures, but when I see him out in the world doing it I must admit I cringe a bit. Like, I dont mean he gestures along as he speaks, he will attempt to finish sentences with hand gestures even sometimes. And someone has to verbally fill it in for him, or he picks back up after a pause. But again, that doesnt mean he's not enough of a loveable dude to have a go. Kimmel was fun.

I guess Im speaking to some of the somewhat newer interview formats to really reach the masses. Like the Architectural Digest "Open Door" or Vogues 73 questions type stuff. And again, perhaps they could. But then why not is the question? 'Everyone' else does.

You make a good point about when they have to be cagey about band secrets. It did bring Duffs CNN fail to mind (even though that wasnt even a guns interview). Deer in the headlights when asked about sexist lyrics. How did he not see that coming? But yeah, generally speaking, it would be a hindrance to have so many topics off limits.

I dont follow Oasis at all, but I swear Ive heard Liam say basically that he hopes Noel will take note of his vocal performance and work ethic? Because Liam wants a reunion? Maybe Im mistaken.

Definitely agree that Axls anxiety around perfectionism is at the centre of a lot of it. On the other hand, cooking a meal with Sean Evans (hot ones/ first we feast) wouldn't be invasive, just fun content for us that gets them out there in the world. Or even just rating Taco Bell snack menu items over Skype currently. Why not? He just cant be bothered? 

Sigh. Maybe I just prefer the thought that he doesnt feel comfortable extending himself. :shrugs:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soon said:

Sad and frustrating as it is with Guns silence, I sometimes wonder if its down to professional limitations? Like could Axl do a solo acoustic set from home? Both musically, and is he is comfortable hosting it?

The big three all are very awkward. I just cant picture them doing Wired AutoComplete interviews or Hot Ones. They dont have that aspect of the showbiz skill set cultivated.

Slash is, in my estimation, the most primetime ready. Hes done Ellen and Conan, etc, etc. Hes also done some "new normal" online stuff, like that zoom video that included Gilby. Not trying to take that from him or exaggerate. (Hes also done the least Guns media sine NITL, until the pin ball machine)

But I think theyd all, or at least Axl and Duff, benefit from some coaching to make them more prepared to take more opportunities under the spotlight?

Yeah, when you think about it...very awkward. Slash ALWAYS wearing his hat and the shades, no matter the occasion is laughable at this point for example. He's his own funko pop figure. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

I thought Axl was quite charming and funny in the Kimmel interview. I think that maybe the 3 of them are pretty good at giving interviews, you know... just from watching how they used to do it in the late 80's and 90's.

when you got something to promote and not everything is a fuckin' secret maybe it's easier and more enjoyable to be interviewed. I didn't get an awkward vibe when they had the option to speak freely.

that 2014 Swedish interview with Slash when the interviewer asked him about him and Axl being friends again and Slash shutting it down abruptly was super awkward though and not at all like how Slash seems to handle it normally, but maybe I'm missing something, idk.

as for Liam compared to Axl, I admire his approach and attitude, I just think they're very different people maybe and musicians. Liam doesn't really give a fuck, it's possible he's just doing what he always done.

Moving forward, making music cause it could be boring not to release anything when you like to create and perform while Axl seems to take himself and Gn'R way too seriously to not overthink it and I believe he pays too much attention to the bs and details and what everything means so he doesn't gain momentum very often and then there's the lack of deadlines and impossible standards

(like the recent interview with Dave from Pearl Jam indicates how Axl wanted new Guns to be bigger than the classic line up for example) eventually led him to release only 1 album in 30 years and basically playing the same tunes for decades.

I've always thought he did a good interview really. Never seems too awkward....but you know, if they don't want to do interviews that's fine by me. I get sick of celebrities being everywhere, and I'm quite happy for them to be private. 

But if they're taking that approach and combine it with never doing anything, I think the only result is fan frustration and ultimately boredom and disinterest. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I've always thought he did a good interview really. Never seems too awkward....but you know, if they don't want to do interviews that's fine by me. I get sick of celebrities being everywhere, and I'm quite happy for them to be private. 

But if they're taking that approach and combine it with never doing anything, I think the only result is fan frustration and ultimately boredom and disinterest. 

I feel that way about other celebrities, but personally I enjoy interviews by the gunners if it's a good interview of course. I think only Axl doesn't like to do them and Slash and Duff don't seem to have a problem with it but the Gn'R questions put them on the spot cause they can't or don't have anything to say about it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1