"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Earlier I was listening to AFD as I worked, and was reminded how I've always thought the lyrics to Anything Goes in the liner notes are incorrect.

I don't have the liner notes to hand, but the lyrics online - which I think are based on the liner notes are:

Panties round your knees

With your ass in debris

Doing that grind

With a push and a squeeze

I've always heard that second line as "ass in the breeze", which rhymes better and to me sounds more like what Axl sings.

What do others reckon? It's clearly very important that when I sing along to AG I can be sure I'm getting the words right :lol:

3 hours ago, King_Johnny said:

Earlier I was listening to AFD as I worked, and was reminded how I've always thought the lyrics to Anything Goes in the liner notes are incorrect.

I don't have the liner notes to hand, but the lyrics online - which I think are based on the liner notes are:

Panties round your knees

With your ass in debris

Doing that grind

With a push and a squeeze

I've always heard that second line as "ass in the breeze", which rhymes better and to me sounds more like what Axl sings.

What do others reckon? It's clearly very important that when I sing along to AG I can be sure I'm getting the words right :lol:

What you quoted is what is it says on the liner notes,  but I was the same as you for years in that he was saying debris is a weird way and yes it’s not that much of a stretch to think he’s saying “in the breeze.” 

I’d say for me it’s more that the words of some songs even 20 years since I first heard them just sound like something else even though I know the official lyrics are the correct ones. 

For years my friend who’s a big Bob Dylan fan said that GNR changed the lyrics of knocking on heavens door in a few parts. This first came up 18 years ago when we were drinking and listening to the GNR version and he swore blind and did for years there’s a difference. I’ve never bothered to check to be honest.

• 1 month later...

Bumped to highlight just what a tremendous show Philadelphia 2012 from the Up Close and Personal tour was.

For me, it's the greatest GN'R show since 2006/07 (excluding NITL, could argue a few 2016 shows). That is a big call, but from start to finish, the band were firing on all cylinders and I think musically during this period, the band were more tight than in 2010. Axl is arguably hit or miss throughout 2011/14, but on that evening, he was at the very top of his game and to my ears, exceeded his efforts throughout 2010.

Discuss or don't. God bless Tommy Stinson :tommy:

• GNFNR 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dean said:

Bumped to highlight just what a tremendous show Philadelphia 2012 from the Up Close and Personal tour was.

For me, it's the greatest GN'R show since 2006/07 (excluding NITL, could argue a few 2016 shows). That is a big call, but from start to finish, the band were firing on all cylinders and I think musically during this period, the band were more tight than in 2010. Axl is arguably hit or miss throughout 2011/14, but on that evening, he was at the very top of his game and to my ears, exceeded his efforts throughout 2010.

I didn't go to that show but I did go to Atlantic City a few days before and that was the best show I saw post-2010 up until Toronto 2016. Was a great night, totally worth the trip.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amir said:

I didn't go to that show but I did go to Atlantic City a few days before and that was the best show I saw post-2010 up until Toronto 2016. Was a great night, totally worth the trip.

I've been on a bit of a binge of 2012 concerts of late, those Up Close and Personal shows were great for the most part. Still mad to think that they streamed a few shows in this period too. The LA and Vegas shows in December 2011, Chicago in 2012, then nothing til the Selects started last year. That's GN'R in a nutshell! :lol:

I had on the Glasgow show last night and threw it on my iPod. Scary how fast time flies. That was a great night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was out for a walk yesterday and I saw on a bricked up doorway in an old wall in  faded black spray paint “guns n roses 30.10.89” which I’ve checked and I can’t find anything of any note that happened on that date. It was definitely 89 and not 87 which if it was 87 was the date of the CBGBs show in New York but it wasn’t so I’m confused as to why someone would write such a specific date on a wall in Ireland.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:30 AM, Dean said:

I wish I could have went to that one.  I was out of work at the time and had just seen the band the previous year at the BB&T pavilion and just couldn't afford it.  Really bummed I missed that show and the one at Wells Fargo a few years back (that one had a great setlist!).

Oh well I'll be seeing them for the 7th time this summer and when I went to the no show in 2002 at Wells Fargo if you told me I would see them even once I would have called you a liar lol

Just now, IrishgunnerII said:

I was out for a walk yesterday and I saw on a bricked up doorway in an old wall in  faded black spray paint “guns n roses 30.10.89” which I’ve checked and I can’t find anything of any note that happened on that date. It was definitely 89 and not 87 which if it was 87 was the date of the CBGBs show in New York but it wasn’t so I’m confused as to why someone would write such a specific date on a wall in Ireland.

could it have been the date it got written on the wall? 

So with the 30th anniversary of the riot in St. Louis coming up at the start of July, did Axl at the time get an unfair share of the blame, for if not the initial incident, the damage that was caused to the venue ? I mean as Axl admitted at the time(or a few months after at least) that he could have in hindsight dealt with the situation differently on the night, did the fans who wrecked the venue(admittedly a minority of them) get the similar levels of scorn for damaging a new venue ?

The TV reports I’ve watched from the time all have the same slant, which is that it was Axls fault. 

This event is one that slash clearing has zero memory of if you take his version of it in his book versus the actual footage of the show, which bar little to no resemblance to each other.

Anyway, I digress. But yeah I think Axl was at fault but I think(granted with the benefit of hindsight) got far too much blame for other people’s inability to control the crowd, and for actions by fans who I’m sure we’re disappointed, but life isn’t all sunshine wins rainbows but that’s not an excuse to wreck a venue. In Dublin in 2010 when Axl walked offstage and the house lights came up, I don’t recall people wrecking the O2 arena. People were pissed off which was understandable, and I include myself in that group, but nobody damaged the arena. 

7 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

So with the 30th anniversary of the riot in St. Louis coming up at the start of July, did Axl at the time get an unfair share of the blame, for if not the initial incident, the damage that was caused to the venue ? I mean as Axl admitted at the time(or a few months after at least) that he could have in hindsight dealt with the situation differently on the night, did the fans who wrecked the venue(admittedly a minority of them) get the similar levels of scorn for damaging a new venue ?

The TV reports I’ve watched from the time all have the same slant, which is that it was Axls fault. 

This event is one that slash clearing has zero memory of if you take his version of it in his book versus the actual footage of the show, which bar little to no resemblance to each other.

Anyway, I digress. But yeah I think Axl was at fault but I think(granted with the benefit of hindsight) got far too much blame for other people’s inability to control the crowd, and for actions by fans who I’m sure we’re disappointed, but life isn’t all sunshine wins rainbows but that’s not an excuse to wreck a venue. In Dublin in 2010 when Axl walked offstage and the house lights came up, I don’t recall people wrecking the O2 arena. People were pissed off which was understandable, and I include myself in that group, but nobody damaged the arena. 

A lot of stuff here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1298-1991-07-02-riverport-amphitheatre-st-louis-usa

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

And in much more detail:

About the riot itself: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

Band member commenting upon the riot: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

Lawsuits and gig cancellations because of the riot: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

The "fuck St. Louis" statement in the liner notes: (32) 13. JULY-NOVEMBER 1991: USE YOUR ILLUSIONS ARE OUT, SO IS IZZY (a-4-d.com)

Cancellations of shows to avoid prosecution: (32) 14. NOVEMBER 1991-APRIL 1992: THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD (a-4-d.com)

And finally Axl is arrested after returning to the states: (32) 15. MAY-DECEMBER 1992: TOURING AND FEUDS (a-4-d.com)

Axl's plea bargain with the prosecutor: (32) 15. MAY-DECEMBER 1992: TOURING AND FEUDS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

And finally the various settlements from civil lawsuits: (32) 17. AUGUST-NOVEMBER 1993: LAWSUITS AND THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT? (a-4-d.com)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jamillos said:

I’ll say again what a novel idea. Bands can release music videos and albums during a pandemic and the sky doesn’t fall and the earth continues to carry on as normal. It’s like functioning musicians and bands can’t do these things. Someone should send that alleged management team these links and maybe they’ll stop blaming everything and everyone as to why music hasn’t been released in nearly 13 years. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Metallica To Launch Official Podcast
Metallica has teamed up with Amazon to create "The Metallica Podcast". According to the band, the podcast will launch with eight episodes taking a look behind the scenes at Metallica’s self-titled 1991 LP, better known as "The Black Album"...

I mean... imagine. Just imagine. 
How hard would it... ah, nevermind. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

NiTL songs they've played, since I last saw them in 2017:

- Slither (including this but not other covers/TSI tracks)

-Shadow of your Love (dropped)

-You're Crazy

-Locomotive (dropped)

-Dead Horse (dropped?)

-Absurd

Really hope they shake it up a bit more before coming back to Toronto.

Edited by Coma16