The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Do albums even really make that much money nowadays?

The money seems to be in the special bells and whistles editions and the like that lots of bands seem to be putting out now. There’s literally tens of thousands of GnR fans who would buy the shit out of that. Do we see or hear anything about a release?

Do we fuck 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

not really. Live shows and merch bring in the $$$. I think you release an album for 3 reasons: to stay relevant, because you're a musician and that's what musicians do, and to generate and keep interest in attending your live show.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not really. Live shows and merch bring in the $$$. I think you release an album for 3 reasons: to stay relevant, because you're a musician and that's what musicians do, and to generate and keep interest in attending your live show.

I would say mainly so that people have something to listen to in privacy? I mean, duh, the people attending the shows are but a miniscule percent of the overal fanbase. I'm a fan of bands (and therefore have bought their material) that I've never seen live. Most of them I've never seen live. Barely any. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

I would say mainly so that people have something to listen to in privacy? I mean, duh, the people attending the shows are but a miniscule percent of the overal fanbase. I'm a fan of bands (and therefore have bought their material) that I've never seen live. Most of them I've never seen live. Barely any. 

you have something new to listen to = the band is more relevant to you as a fan no? kinda like another chapter. If there is no new music, there is only shit that you listened to many times already so it gets too boring for most and they move on from that band or listen to it only occasionally so fan interest drops and the band becomes a legacy act at best.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you have something new to listen to = the band is more relevant to you as a fan no? kinda like another chapter. If there is no new music, there is only shit that you already listened to many times already so it gets too boring for most and they move on from that band or listen to it only occasionally so fan interest drops and the band becomes a legacy act at best.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I listened to GNR, other than Absurd. 

I've played the very very limited discography to death now over the many years they've been out. I can't keep listening to the same few songs over and over. I'd go demented! 

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I've played the very very limited discography to death now over the many years they've been out. I can't keep listening to the same few songs over and over. I'd go demented! 

Last Friday, I kicked off my Friday night spin with both Illusions straight through just because of the anniversary. Other than that, I rarely listen to GN'R unless they're played on the radio. 

It's partially what you said: they have a VERY limited catalog but on top of that, there's a good chunk that I don't care for. I LOVE the stuff I love though, if that makes sense. 

But I've listened to the stuff I love a million times. There's only so many times I can listen to the same songs from such a limited selection. 

In additon to that, there's just too many other great artists from all other genres I listen to that put out tons of music. I regularly pick up new albums from so many other artists that I always have new stuff to listen to. 

If / when GN'R ever chooses to put out new music, great. But these years (decades!) stretches between new music just cause me to care less and less about their back catalog because there's just so much great music constantly being released from other artists. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Last Friday, I kicked off my Friday night spin with both Illusions straight through just because of the anniversary. Other than that, I rarely listen to GN'R unless they're played on the radio. 

It's partially what you said: they have a VERY limited catalog but on top of that, there's a good chunk that I don't care for. I LOVE the stuff I love though, if that makes sense. 

But I've listened to the stuff I love a million times. There's only so many times I can listen to the same songs from such a limited selection. 

In additon to that, there's just too many other great artists from all other genres I listen to that put out tons of music. I regularly pick up new albums from so many other artists that I always have new stuff to listen to. 

If / when GN'R ever chooses to put out new music, great. But these years (decades!) stretches between new music just cause me to care less and less about their back catalog because there's just so much great music constantly being released from other artists. 

Totally agree with you here. I don't really listen to much GNR either, primarily because I've heard it all so many times. I listened to the Village Leaks with a hope I'd hear something interesting at the very least. But tracks like Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged, Eye On You etc. just left me thinking... WTF is this shit?! Bizarrely I quite liked Chinese Democracy when it came out. But these days I find it pretty disappointing and cringeworthy at times (e.g. Riad, This I Love, Scraped). If GNR release another album, I will give it a listen, but my expectation levels from CD, the Village Leaks, and Absurd are pretty bloody low now.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

you have something new to listen to = the band is more relevant to you as a fan no? kinda like another chapter. If there is no new music, there is only shit that you listened to many times already so it gets too boring for most and they move on from that band or listen to it only occasionally so fan interest drops and the band becomes a legacy act at best.

Right, if you put it this way, then "stay relevant" it is. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

It’s strange how this is not a problem with other bands (for me), though. Music from Pink Floyd, Jane’s Addiction, Tool, or even certain things from Fun Lovin’ Criminals – I could (and I do) play these same records every week (in turn, alternately etc.), and I still haven’t grown weary of it! 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I come from the position of liking everything they've ever recorded a lot (maybe My World is a pass though!) but as you say there's just SO much other stuff to listen to. Taking aside new purchases I make, I have a big collection of stuff that I'm always going into, and the idea of playing just three or four albums all the time seems ludicrous to me.

GNR are a total anomaly to me in that they're deeply ingrained from being so obsessed at such a formative time. I'd be incredibly scathing of any other band who did what they do and would have ditched caring about them years ago. I imagine that feeling is actually pretty common- hence why we all come here so often. 

I enjoy the GNR albums every time I get them out and they're almost like a 'treat' now. Which I think is probably fine. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No - the money for the labels is from downloads and streams and licensing; the money for artists comes from live shows/merch and Sprite, Vans, Flamin' Hot Cheetos etc. commercials/promotional tie-ins. Artists also rack up like 1/10 of a cent (USD) every time someone listens to their song on the big streaming services. And if they're lucky enough to have a solid back catalog - even with just a handful of huge hits like GNR - they make actual money off radio (and other media) royalties.

I think albums are mainly vanity projects at this point, and/or almost just a ceremonial way to officially "release" music so it can hopefully make its way into a realistically profitable vehicle (e.g. the closing credits of 2 Fast 2 Furious XIII). I'd guess that's the only reason UMG would give a crap whether they ever actually release an album or even a few more songs again. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ratam said:

It is a question to Pele...

No, he did a ton of recording prior to 99!  Just very little since (IMO).

I don't think they'll release a full album as there just isn't enough to use.

I think it's a self titled ep with 'new' songs (HardSkool/Absurd) and some covers/re-records.

Edited by Pele

On 9/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Spirit said:

Universal Music Group is hitting the stock market for the first time tomorrow. Would a GN'R album announcement be considered "big enough" to have any effect on that? I have no idea.

But, if so, could Axl have been instructed to wait with any announcement until their shares are "live"?

What instruction did axl receive to only release 16 songs in the last 30 years 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, Spirit said:

Universal Music Group is hitting the stock market for the first time tomorrow. Would a GN'R album announcement be considered "big enough" to have any effect on that? I have no idea.

But, if so, could Axl have been instructed to wait with any announcement until their shares are "live"?

Man this whole waiting for Hard School thing has really made GNR fans buy double the amount of tin foil than they usually do :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Man this whole waiting for Hard School thing has really made GNR fans buy double the amount of tin foil than they usually do :lol:

Does anyone outside this forum/general fan, even care about HS or potential new music? I'd bet alot of fans at the current shows don't even know much about CD, or the songs on it. 

• Like 1

I came across maybe a relevant news update from another band regarding vinyl plants.

The band is Marillion and the update:

Despite the album being finished in October, tis impossible to release this year so we are looking at early 2022. We wish we could release the album sooner but, owing to a worldwide shortage of cardboard and a scarity of vinyl manufacturing facilities, the manufacture of physical records is currentsly taking many months. All artists are facing the same reality. We`ll be as quick as we can. 

• Like 2

the same just happened for Garbage's reissue of Beautiful Garbage

2 hours ago, betterman said:

I came across maybe a relevant news update from another band regarding vinyl plants.

The band is Marillion and the update:

Despite the album being finished in October, tis impossible to release this year so we are looking at early 2022. We wish we could release the album sooner but, owing to a worldwide shortage of cardboard and a scarity of vinyl manufacturing facilities, the manufacture of physical records is currentsly taking many months. All artists are facing the same reality. We`ll be as quick as we can. 

• Sad 1

Well, most artists nowadays are dropping new albums digitally first and the physical version months later, as soon as they can get it pressed. Maybe Marillion want to go the old school way and release physical and digital at the same time, but pressing plants clogged aren't really a reason to postpone a release. Garbage, of course, it's different because it wouldn't make sense to release a reissue only digitally.

• Like 1