NITL live videos on youtube

Yes, all these "GnR spin-offs" sound better than the actual band. The drumming is a big part of it. It's pretty much the most important thing with any band. If the rhythm section is not great it all kinda falls apart. The way GnR sounds with this line up is just not good enough for a band of this caliber, imo. Then you got Mickey Rose on top of that, no new material that shows the chemistry of the current line up (if it's somewhere in there) and yeah...this is what you get these days, as seen and heard in the selects.

Edited by El Guapo

16 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, all these "GnR spin-offs" sound better than the actual band. The drumming is a big part of it. It's pretty much the most important thing with any band. If the rhythm section is not great it all kinda falls apart. The way GnR sounds with this line up is just not good enough for a band of this calibre, imo. Then you got Mickey Rose on top of that, no new material that shows the chemistry of the current line up (if it's somewhere in there) and yeah...this is what you get these days, as seen and heard in the selects.

From a technical standpoint, is Frank the worst GN'R drummer? 

I'd love it if Brain returned, along with Buckethead.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

One of the few songs that has ever got any love from critics, and every-time I saw it live the crowd is cheering Axl on after any of the long held notes. 

Personally when the song is sang well, I love it! and in my opinion it could almost fit on UYI.

If the band had of released anotger album in 96 TIL would have been on it. Its just yet another SS ballad. Slash must have thought "another SS song 🙄" when hearing it the first time. In terms of other songs that coukd have been illusions yiu coukd also add SOD and the blues.

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

If the band had of released anotger album in 96 TIL would have been on it. Its just yet another SS ballad. Slash must have thought "another SS song 🙄" when hearing it the first time. In terms of other songs that coukd have been illusions yiu coukd also add SOD and the blues.

TIL, SOD, There was a time and Catcher are the ones that have most connection with UYI.

NV and estranged etc. were really Erin era, TIS and SOD (if their not about Slash ;)) sound like SS ballads, I'm sure it crossed his mind though! 

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But that doesn't make it a bad song. I like that it's something you wouldn't quite expect in the context of a Guns N' Roses song.

I didn't say it was bad, just that I don't like it. I didn't mind it in 2010 when it was pretty much an Axl solo spot to showcase his vocals, but otherwise I personally find it to be a total bore.

6 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Don't get the 'Out Ta Get Me' hype here, if it was with Steven I'd go for it but Frank destroys the vibe, there's no power n' AFD groove in his drumming in that video.

It's official video, I suppose it can be posted. There's really interesting EP out there, Slash: iTunes Sessions from 2010. YouTube videos have some sheit quality, but you can find it on the web, check 'Rocket Queen' and listen to Fitz's drums. It can really open some eyes.

Was just about to post this video. Yeah the one with Steven would've been good but this SMKC clip absolutely destroys the NITL version imo (sorry), even though Axl's vocals are pretty good in it. You can tell Frank is deliberately trying to play something slightly different (same in My Michelle). And his feel is all wrong. Even Matt kept the same feel (Saskatoon My Michelle is a good example of this). Fitzy is a real pro and understands that this classic material needs to be played a certain way, no matter what he personally would like to do with it.

Imo any GnR song that SMKC has done they did it better than NITL GnR, regardless of whether or not you like Myles and Todd's singing.

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, all these "GnR spin-offs" sound better than the actual band. The drumming is a big part of it. It's pretty much the most important thing with any band. If the rhythm section is not great it all kinda falls apart. The way GnR sounds with this line up is just not good enough for a band of this caliber, imo. Then you got Mickey Rose on top of that, no new material that shows the chemistry of the current line up (if it's somewhere in there) and yeah...this is what you get these days, as seen and heard in the selects.

I agree. Also check out ISE at Download Festival by Duff Mckagan's Loaded, that sounds pretty badass too. You're absolutely right that a band of this caliber should sound a lot better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Exactly. Then I'd rather have a long show. The only thing to justify the extortionate ticket prices. It's not just a cash grab. They play twice as long as they would need to.

I am with you. I love the long shows. I wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Slash anyway and he is the only one on stage the whole 3 hours..

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am with you. I love the long shows. I wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Slash anyway and he is the only one on stage the whole 3 hours..

Because the others can't stop him soloing!

"Anyone want to jam on some blues... anyone?... hello!!?? echo, echo, echo":slash:

20 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I wouldnt be there if Axl wasnt there either...

Also this even if he does sound bad a lot of the time these days.

Edited by Tom2112

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yes, all these "GnR spin-offs" sound better than the actual band. The drumming is a big part of it. It's pretty much the most important thing with any band. If the rhythm section is not great it all kinda falls apart. The way GnR sounds with this line up is just not good enough for a band of this caliber, imo. 

This video is eye-opening. There is also a Part 2. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

From a technical standpoint, is Frank the worst GN'R drummer? 

My view as a drummer myself: he's one of the best drummers GNR had. But the mostly he's a bad fit. He's seems to me more of a Soul/Pop/R&B kind of drummer. He makes terrible style choices on playing and drum tone, don't know if they're intentional, or just his bosses give him a lot of freedom on the matter. Never heard any of his previous works, though. In some songs he really shines, like Locomotive. But he seems to struggle playing some straight-forward rockers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

My view as a drummer myself: he's one of the best drummers GNR had. But the mostly he's a bad fit. He's seems to me more of a Soul/Pop/R&B kind of drummer. He makes terrible style choices on playing and drum tone, don't know if they're intentional, or just his bosses give him a lot of freedom on the matter. Never heard any of his previous works, though. In some songs he really shines, like Locomotive. But he seems to struggle playing some straight-forward rockers.

Thanks, as a drummer you offer a perspective most can't. I liked the fill he did on the CD version of If The World. 

After hearing Josh and Brain on The Village leaks though, it is painful for me to imagine those parts re-recorded by Frank.

24 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

I cant think of any examples of him playing soul music. Or R&B. So it would seem difficult to come to that conclusion about his style imho. Hes guilty of over-playing which I suppose is a trope of Soul drumming. Too epic drum fills.

But he states that he considers himself a groove drummer. As in a rnr groove drummer.

Im not sure that I can see how he has a soul style? I think he gets lost in drum fills, simple as that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Thanks, as a drummer you offer a perspective most can't. I liked the fill he did on the CD version of If The World. 

After hearing Josh and Brain on The Village leaks though, it is painful for me to imagine those parts re-recorded by Frank.

Adler was very much into groove, and listening to AFD , the energy of Adler and frank, and groove drumming they are are really polar opposites. If Frank is into groove i couldnt imagine him playing on par with Adler especially regarding AFD.  I just cant. 

I agree Frank would be ideal with  Rand B band, or some kind of solo artist as a backing muscian. His drumming just seems like a weird fit with GNR. GNR drummers have always had a sort of pizzaz.  Will be interesting what he shows as part of any new release.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Adler was very much into groove, and listening to AFD , the energy of Adler and frank, and groove drumming they are are really polar opposites. If Frank is into groove i couldnt imagine him playing on par with Adler especially regarding AFD.  I just cant. 

I agree Frank would be ideal with  Rand B band, or some kind of solo artist as a backing muscian. His drumming just seems like a weird fit with GNR. GNR drummers have always had a sort of pizzaz.  Will be interesting what he shows as part of any new release.

That makes sense, thank you. I am hoping any eventual release has mostly Brain on drums, however unlikely that is now.

15 hours ago, Creed said:

I never understood Axl's choice to hire 3 drummers, who were not into GnR at all...wether Frank nor Brian and Freese were into GnR...

As far as I understand it Axl doesn't want GNR to sound like appetite.

16 hours ago, jafeijo said:

He's certainly a talented drummer. If a little misused in the band.

I feel like he's a good fit for electronic/industrial music. 

To me he represents a more 'modern' drum sound. 

• Like 1

On 2020-09-01 at 11:40 PM, Sydney Fan said:

TIL never ever needs to be included in any more setlists. The vocals are crap and the lyrics are just cringe. Ive never understood why axls insists its a song being worthy to add. Its just a piss breakbreak/get another drink time. Replacing with michelle/OTGM would be more better.

On 2020-09-01 at 11:48 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Thats the problem. Its good for what it is but can be so much better. It seems their peers during the illusion lineup have just overtaken them. The band lacks a certain style.

TIL used to be a really good live song, it was basically Axl's 'solo spot' when they first started playing it. But that was a decade ago. There were a few good performances of it during the early NITL shows, but yea it was generally one of the weaker songs.

I don't know how much better this band could actually be though. Yea they could probably get Steven and Izzy for a few shows but even then I don't think it would honestly recapture the 'old vibe'. Fantasy lineup changes aside, Slash and Axl have both changed drastically since their heyday. Even if they did get a better drummer or rhythm guitarist it's still Axl, Slash and Duff who decide how the band should sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

TIL used to be a really good live song, it was basically Axl's 'solo spot' when they first started playing it. But that was a decade ago. There were a few good performances of it during the early NITL shows, but yea it was generally one of the weaker songs.

I don't know how much better this band could actually be though. Yea they could probably get Steven and Izzy for a few shows but even then I don't think it would honestly recapture the 'old vibe'. Fantasy lineup changes aside, Slash and Axl have both changed drastically since their heyday. Even if they did get a better drummer or rhythm guitarist it's still Axl, Slash and Duff who decide how the band should sound.

Fair point on the second paragraph. Maybe sprucing up the setlist would be diiferent every few shows. May make a difference...but if they want to start selling stadiums during 2021 they need to make it worthwhile for fans to attend.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, El Guapo said:

This sounded good to me too. Fast...just something. Clear, but fast. It is a fast song. Timing, check. I agree with what you said first.

Edited by Amaya

On 2020-09-03 at 6:59 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Fair point on the second paragraph. Maybe sprucing up the setlist would be diiferent every few shows. May make a difference...but if they want to start selling stadiums during 2021 they need to make it worthwhile for fans to attend.

Agreed. New music would be the obvious answer for how to make it worthwhile, but they'll probably just add Pretty Tied Up and call it a 'UYI anniversary tour' :lol:

On topic, I've listened to OTGM from the Houston show a lot over the last few days. It sounds like a 2006 performance featuring Slash. It's awesome! :headbang:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Agreed. New music would be the obvious answer for how to make it worthwhile, but they'll probably just add Pretty Tied Up and call it a 'UYI anniversary tour' :lol:

On topic, I've listened to OTGM from the Houston show a lot over the last few days. It sounds like a 2006 performance featuring Slash. It's awesome! :headbang:

It really is - the whole band is on fire (clearly it WAS one of those gigs where everything falls into place). I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but I surprised at the amount of folk on here who are saying it’s ordinary/average.

Just proves you can’t please everybody.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Detroit 2016 was the first (And only) time I've seen OTGM live. It's always been one of my least favorite songs on Appetite, but when they play it with Axl in shape vocally, it punches you right in the face. It's so damn aggressive. Highlight of the gig for me, hands down. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Detroit 2016 was the first (And only) time I've seen OTGM live. It's always been one of my least favorite songs on Appetite, but when they play it with Axl in shape vocally, it punches you right in the face. It's so damn aggressive. Highlight of the gig for me, hands down. 

Agreed, the album version doesn't do much for me but the times I've seen it live (2010 & 2016) it was a highlight. 

• GNFNR 1