01/01/01 HOB 20 years ago

20 years just passed since HOB. The first time CD era songs were played, the first time there’s was real hope that bright days were ahead, we would soon be filled with music. Axl’s reclusion set the backdrop for what was supposed to be an exciting new direction in GNR/rock music history. I was so excited, there seemed to be an endless supply of possibilities. I used to salivate at the thought of all the glorious melodies and incredible lyricism that lied ahead...... 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

20 years just passed since HOB. The first time CD era songs were played, the first time there’s was real hope that bright days were ahead, we would soon be filled with music. Axl’s reclusion set the backdrop for what was supposed to be an exciting new direction in GNR/rock music history. I was so excited, there seemed to be an endless supply of possibilities. I used to salivate at the thought of all the glorious melodies and incredible lyricism that lied ahead...... 

Consider the excitement and the ambition from back then. We've really gone downhill.... A lot.... Two decades of misses and clusterfucks. :( 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I remember reading about it the day after. Watching the pictures of this "new" Axl. I don't remember when the audio became avaliable but I remember listening to the new songs for the first time, Axl talking about Kundun, presenting the band. I was so excited. I believed they were going to take the world by storm. :no: It was an interesting time to be a hardcore Guns N' Roses fan. There was so much to look forward to.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 4

Loved / still love this era. Criminal that nothing official is really available for purchase except CD (re-polished 100 times). They should release these concerts as boxsets.

I remember staying in at uni instead of going clubbing just to listen to the Radio 1 rock show in 1999 - they were playing the exclusive premier of Oh My God at about 1.30am on a Saturday night.

My friends (who were not Guns fans) just looked at me with an "errr, what the hell was that" kind of expression, but it didn't put me off at all.

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 2

Ah yes. Songs from the HOB show (and the Rio show) were some of the first that I ever downloaded from Napster. It took half and hour per song, and massively increased the phone bill. But it was worth it!

At the time I thought that, when CD was going to be released, it would have been a multi-year promotion campaign, with multiple album volumes, loads of videos and B sides, a long world tour and maybe even maybe another spinoff album (in other words, a replay of the UYI era).

We all know how that turned out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That small little era of nugnr, 1999-2002 ish, was so very different to now and that was the launch show. Literally nobody had seen the bugger for year so much as heard music from him. The band consisted of freaky alternative  types. Rose was promising ''trilogies'' of music. It was mysterious and (potentially) creative, but ultimately went nowhere, but we weren't to know that at the time. Download the new Guns song 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'' on Napster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People here NOW praises that band. It’s funny as hell.

I remember the whole criticism that surrounded those guys, specially after Rio 3.

Except for Buckethead, who had some appreciation from part of the fanbase, the whole band was criticized constantly for their look and sounding different from 87-93 era.

• Like 3

I didn't know this video finally surfaced until I just saw this thread.  I just watched parts of it and the first thing that I immediately noticed is how normal Axl looks.  He really just looks like he aged appropriately since he was last in the public eye in 1993.  Wasn't he seen a few weeks after this at a Lakers game and then disappeared again for while?  And when he came back he looked completely different IIRC.