07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

I'm willing to wait at least one more show before I start to get worried about the show I plan to see in Raleigh. To his credit (and from those who were commenting on the show on Twitter), it appeared the band was having fairly noticeable sound problems the whole show and even "casual fans" seemed to notice Axl was constantly running to the back of the stage to talk to the sound crew. Obviously, the cards are definitely stacked against Axl, but I cannot deny that not being able to hear himself sing and the audio cutting in and out at least partially contributed to the horrible performance. None of this changes that the band as a whole seems completely stoic or disinterested. I am not sure what's worse: Axl singing poorly but at least looking like he was giving it a shot, or Slash and Richard (who usually appears enthusiastic) playing with the enthusiasm of changing a tire. Also, I cannot overstate how disinterested I am in seeing Duff tackle yet another Iggy Pop/punk rock cover. 

TL:DR: I am willing to give Axl a tiny bit of wiggle room as there were clearly sound issues, but it does not look good for him based on some of the clips I've seen. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

Tragic.

My experience watching this on YouTube: I saw the Lemmy joke before November Rain first and it immediately brought a smile to my face. Then Axl started to sing and I got bummed pretty quick. Could not get through half of Dead Horse. Watched a few moments of Jungle but what's the point? So terrible. You Could Be Mine? Oh my god.

Finished it off by watching a few clips from 1991 to ease the pain.

Edited by Sisyphus

I know people rip his voice, but I don't think it's that he can't sing with rasp, but rather that he chooses not to. Basically he had said in an interview that he knows fans don't like it, but it's just so much easier for him, doesn't hurt, etc.

That's why he turned it on for the AC/DC shows, but less so now. Idk, it's disappointing, but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I know people rip his voice, but I don't think it's that he can't sing with rasp, but rather that he chooses not to. Basically he had said in an interview that he knows fans don't like it, but it's just so much easier for him, doesn't hurt, etc.

That's why he turned it on for the AC/DC shows, but less so now. Idk, it's disappointing, but it is what it is.

It's not the lack of rasp that's been the hot discussion from this particular show though, it's that he was clearly trying to push it out but just couldn't get anything to sound. It sounded painful and unnatural. I do believe that "Mickey" is a conscious choice but this show was something else.

24 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I'm willing to wait at least one more show before I start to get worried about the show I plan to see in Raleigh. To his credit (and from those who were commenting on the show on Twitter), it appeared the band was having fairly noticeable sound problems the whole show and even "casual fans" seemed to notice Axl was constantly running to the back of the stage to talk to the sound crew. Obviously, the cards are definitely stacked against Axl, but I cannot deny that not being able to hear himself sing and the audio cutting in and out at least partially contributed to the horrible performance. None of this changes that the band as a whole seems completely stoic or disinterested. I am not sure what's worse: Axl singing poorly but at least looking like he was giving it a shot, or Slash and Richard (who usually appears enthusiastic) playing with the enthusiasm of changing a tire. Also, I cannot overstate how disinterested I am in seeing Duff tackle yet another Iggy Pop/punk rock cover. 

TL:DR: I am willing to give Axl a tiny bit of wiggle room as there were clearly sound issues, but it does not look good for him based on some of the clips I've seen. 

Interesting you say that. I saw the highlights clip thing they posted on social media and I noticed how Duff looked like a wedding band bassist with his energy rather than the bassist of GN'R. I wasn't there clearly but I will note the crowd also looked flat as a pancake which probably doesn't help.

It's strange though, if you read up on Twitter people's tweets about the show, the average fan seemed to love it and have a great time. It's only on here you really have people digging into the nitty gritty of their performance.

Just now, W. Axl Kev said:

Interesting you say that. I saw the highlights clip thing they posted on social media and I noticed how Duff looked like a wedding band bassist with his energy rather than the bassist of GN'R. I wasn't there clearly but I will note the crowd also looked flat as a pancake which probably doesn't help.

It's strange though, if you read up on Twitter people's tweets about the show, the average fan seemed to love it and have a great time. It's only on here you really have people digging into the nitty gritty of their performance.

It's so rare though that people admit a show they went to was a bit shit. Loads of people praised the Berlin and Dubai debacles too. 

Admitting the show you went to was pretty crap is a hard thing to do when you've shelled out so much money and hyped yourself up about it. You just don't see it happening very often - even for shows that historically are universally regarded as awful. People don't like to admit the night THEY went wasn't up to much. 

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It's not the lack of rasp that's been the hot discussion from this particular show though, it's that he was clearly trying to push it out but just couldn't get anything to sound. It sounded painful and unnatural. I do believe that "Mickey" is a conscious choice but this show was something else.

I do see what you mean. I watch a few videos from this show and he really noticeably struggled at times. I wonder if this is from aging or just lack of preparedness. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I hope that isn't the case.. Dead Horse is right behind You're Crazy as far as songs I really want to see the most.. From the last set anyway.. My cousin sored free tix and looked at the setlist and said "that is sick they are playing Dead Horse"..  He is a casual too who has never seen them. I don't care what Axl sound like I want to see it.. The intro and outro will be awesome no matter what.. I will be singing a long to the verses and I love the solo..

I love the song too, it's definitely one I'd love to see if I see them again. Hopefully they play it for ye! I'm just going off Axl struggling amd then going to his on stage talk back saying something just before the outro, which I can only assume was "did ye play this in the wrong key".

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, it will probably improve for sure.....but to what extent? Have we really reached a point where 'acceptable' is enough?

I suppose so really. That's pretty sad though, when you think what it's within their hands to do. 

I REALLY dislike going out and having problems at the beginning of the tour though. People spend their money on this. I once saw Oasis have a couple of technical problems in stage with a blown generator. They had to stop twice. As a result they played a longer set and refunded each and every one of us our ticket money. We all got a cheque in the post, true to their word.

That was over and above of course, but this is a continual thing with the first shows of any GNR tour now it seems, which is totally unfair on ticket holders..

Did you ever hear the story behind those refunds?

Initially there was no plan for Oasis giving refunds until Liam went absolutely rogue and told the crowd they'd get a full refund. 

There was no plan in place for paying for this full refund, so what did the band do? They gave the crowd special Oasis styled cheques in the hopes people wouldn't cash them. I think Noel said it worked too :lol:

7 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

Please. This forum has been going after the level of "rasp" in his voice for years. I'm not sure if you can search by keywords on this but if you searched that word you'd be in for plenty of reading material.

I agree that its important to hold someone to a standard of performance but I'm going into these shows with my eyes open. He's, what, 58/59? I don't expect him to hold the notes like he could back in 1992 (since they returned to touring in 2002 can anyone truly give me an example of a strong vocal performance during November Rain?). I expect him to deliver a fun, exciting show where everyone can go home having enjoyed themselves. If it's true they're slowing down the pace of songs etc. then that tells you all you need to know. Time is catching up with them.

You missed the operative part of my post - hardly anyone is moaning about the lack of rasp in this thread. Yes, historically the rasp has been a hot button issue here. But this thread isn't the typical "lol, Mickey in da house" comments, people are genuinely concerned with almost every aspect of his voice in Hershey. 

I'm not expecting Axl to sound like it's 1992 ever again, it's not realistic. I would settle for a 2013 or 2017 voice even. But this...this was up there with Bridge School as the worst of the worst. 

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

Umm, no... the 2009 Japan shows were probably the most expansive, unpredictable and exciting of this century, and the performances were unreal (apart from maybe Prostitute, which Axl hadn't really worked out how to sing live yet). Everyone was HYPED as far as I can remember.

Agreed - the hype around the Asian leg, Japan in particular, was unreal. So much fun waking up at the ass crack of dawn following those show threads. I remember people genuinely thinking someone was fucking with us with the show updates, when stuff like Rosie popped up. Even after Taipei the atmosphere was pretty good, albeit a bit more reserved than during Japan. And that mood carried all through Canada too. Magical time to be a fan of this band. 

4 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

I’m glad I saw them in 2010 and never again after that. My 2010 show looks like the Ritz in comparison to what we’re getting now.

My Ritz 2012 show looks like, well...The Ritz in comparison :lol: 

Just now, GNR_RNR said:

Did you ever hear the story behind those refunds?

Initially there was no plan for Oasis giving refunds until Liam went absolutely rogue and told the crowd they'd get a full refund. 

There was no plan in place for paying for this full refund, so what did the band do? They gave the crowd special Oasis styled cheques in the hopes people wouldn't cash them. I think Noel said it worked too :lol:

It was Noel who said it onstage rather than Liam, but otherwise yeah all true! The cheques were really cool actually and I sort of didn't want to cash it, but it was for me and my friend- he said "well you can keep it, but you'll have to give me my ticket money" - I weighed it up and thought it probably wasn't worth it! It had the logo printed in gold and their signatures printed on it. 

These days of being able to pay in cheques online, it would have been no problem! Could have kept it and had the money! Ah well. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:33 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Supposedly this was the setlist:

image0.jpg

Imagine they finally debut a new song.... and it's a fucking re-worked version of Silkworms. :rofl-lol:

Spot on prediction, you should've bet on it :lol:

On 8/3/2021 at 2:37 AM, jacdaniel said:

Anyone who has ever even played a musical instrument will understand how simply boring it is to keep playing the same things over and over and over again.

I can't say I blame Slash for going into auto pilot mode

100%, I think that's what's happening with Slash now (has been since 2017 or so).

On 8/3/2021 at 5:19 AM, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Based on videos, I thought that was the best tone slash has had since rejoining Guns. Maybe I’m wrong here but he sounded a lot better than before, which was still great. Maybe it was the tempo change? Even Frank seemed a bit better

On 8/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, vloors said:

I who normally criticise Frank have to agree he sounded much better at Hershey

Yeah I really like that they've slowed the songs down to their proper tempo; they should've been playing them like that since 2016. Frank sounds pretty good now even if he's playing some things differently. Because the songs aren't as fast they sound a little less sloppy. This is a big positive for me.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:35 AM, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Seem here. As a drummer I notice a lot of things he does and compare them too easily to past drummers in the band but I was pleasantly surprised. My biggest gripe now is that his drum sounds just don’t fit the band. The snare sound is extremely off from what other snare sounds drummers in GnR had and it’s a notice or difference especially on songs like PC. He certainly was a pleasant surprise tho

The snare isn't his fault, it's Caram or whoever is mixing them now. Listen to the CD soundcheck clip on their TikTok and you'll hear how his snare really sounds in person without the crazy EQ.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:14 AM, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I saw slash had a new tech? Maybe Day didn’t want to come out due to covid? 

Adam hasn't been with him for a couple years now. Been doing another gig I guess.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Spot on prediction, you should've bet on it :lol:

100%, I think that's what's happening with Slash now (has been since 2017 or so).

Yeah I really like that they've slowed the songs down to their proper tempo; they should've been playing them like that since 2016. Frank sounds pretty good now even if he's playing some things differently. Because the songs aren't as fast they sound a little less sloppy. This is a big positive for me.

The snare isn't his fault, it's Caram or whoever is mixing them now. Listen to the CD soundcheck clip on their TikTok and you'll hear how his snare really sounds in person without the crazy EQ.

Adam hasn't been with him for a couple years now. Been doing another gig I guess.

I heard an Instagram post of his snare this morning for a soundcheck and you’re right. Much different. Whoever’s mixing his drums needs to switch some stuff. Also noticed last night his cymbals were mixed or mic Ed up poorly. Is 16” cymbal couldn’t be heard and his hi hats were incredibly low in the mix. But that ride and bell on his ride cut through. Maybe it was just where I was sitting? 

Interesting note on Adam. That’s a bit odd wonder what happened

On 8/1/2021 at 3:22 AM, Powderfinger said:

Definitely more that than you’re nonsense. Where did you hear this info re providers slowing network speed down SPECIFICALLY to stop people streaming a fucking Guns n Roses gig. 

You can’t say “apparently” in a sentence and then stick a question mark at the end. 

You’ve made a bullshit statement, which came from your head and then posted it here as a “I wonder if this is why there’s no streams” 

The fact your head even thought that a bunch of ISPs are going to slow NW speed for an entire area, impacting people NOT even at the gig blows MY head 😂

You’re the fool I refused to suffer today. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/08/19/wireless-carrier-throttling-online-video-pervasive/Kduc91RgQ3AxM8UEhItYoM/story.html

Oh also wanted to say that I think the first half of the set is paced well, but they should shorten RQ and KOHD for sure. The Rumble intro for WTTJ was cool as was Duff's cover. Maybe do more songs with Duff during that spot to give Axl a break? Like the you can't put your arms around a memory/attitude from before, switch with raw power some shows, I wanna be your dog, so fine, dust n bones.

Regarding Axl I think he could sing most of these songs in his lower natural voice instead of insisting on the higher register and it would sound just fine.

1 minute ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I heard an Instagram post of his snare this morning for a soundcheck and you’re right. Much different. Whoever’s mixing his drums needs to switch some stuff. Also noticed last night his cymbals were mixed or mic Ed up poorly. Is 16” cymbal couldn’t be heard and his hi hats were incredibly low in the mix. But that ride and bell on his ride cut through. Maybe it was just where I was sitting? 

Interesting note on Adam. That’s a bit odd wonder what happened

Yeah idk they've always been doing weird stuff with the mix. Was happening in 2016 too.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, Powerage5 said:

Real question indeed! Appalachian Brewing in Harrisburg is one of the only breweries in the US which does an incredibly niche German style called a Zoigl, and it’s only a seasonal beer at that. So I was really keen to check that one off my list of beer styles I haven’t tried before. Also had a decent maibock as well as an excellent barleywine at Appalachian. Then I hit a couple beer stores in the area that looked interesting. Stocked up on some stuff I can’t get in NY - some of the regional offerings from Yuengling and Yards, as well as some stuff from Einstök in Iceland and some excellent fruit beers from Hokkaido Brewing in Japan. So a very successful day trip on the beer front :) 

Nice one mate!

Craft beers have exploded here in Australia in the past few years. I get overwhelmed walking into the bottle shop now, and have tried many. Funny though, I keep going back to the old regular beers that I’ve enjoyed for decades. Boring old Tooheys, and XXXX lagers.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:22 AM, sbrichard said:

Attended this show, after attending the opening show in Berlin 2018. I was hoping to see a more prepared band this time, and boy was I wrong.

Total shit show from start to finish, awful setlist, Axl bitching about audio all night and running for oxygen, no voice, missing lines.

I personally thought the band itself sounded good, liked Slash's tone. Frank seemed to be in better rhythm.

Hard to give them a pass after spending the coin on expensive seats. Really pissed.

You managed to see the worst 2 shows of the last 8 years and in different continents?? Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Nice one mate!

Craft beers have exploded here in Australia in the past few years. I get overwhelmed walking into the bottle shop now, and have tried many. Funny though, I keep going back to the old regular beers that I’ve enjoyed for decades. Boring old Tooheys, and XXXX lagers.

Australia legitimately has one of the best craft beer scenes I've found anywhere in the world. My girlfriend lives in Adelaide, so I've become quite familiar with the craft beer scene down there, particularly in SA. So many high quality breweries around, consistently turning out great stuff, and experimental flavor profiles and ingredients - the latter something I'm particularly fond of. But there's certainly a few macros I'm fond of also. I'll go on record as saying XXXX Gold is one of the best macro lagers I've had anywhere, and I am of course partial to Cooper's (Particularly the extra stout).

• Like 1