Sympathy For The Devil - Stones Vs GN'R

GNR vs Rolling Stones  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Many of you know I host a weekly music podcast,Infectious Groove Podcast. We started a new series of Cover Battles with today's out episode, which is out now. 

For the first Cover Battle, I figured we'd pick two huge bands: The Rolling Stones and Guns N' Roses. The 3 of us talk a bit about both versions, then decide which one we think is best. 

For anyone interested in listening, you can subscribe on whatever podcast player you use with this link:

https://linktr.ee/Infectiousgroovepodcast

I know a lot of people on the forum listen to the podcast (thank you!) but if you're not a regular and you just want to hear the Stones / GN'R talk, it starts at about the 23:30 mark :)

Just wanted to say thank you to any new listeners / subscribers today. We've been at this podcast for a few years now. It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun. 

Hopefully anyone who's listened enjoyed it :)

I too was never a fan of the Stones. I mean I don't dislike them, but I just never got into them.

But this song is just a "f'n" masterpiece. My favorite Stones' song for sure, although I also prefer the GNR version. I think if you dig a couple of years back into my post history, you can find me saying that I like every cover of Sympathy for the Devil more than the original. At least I believe I said that about this song.

Ozzy's version is great too. It's like the devil himself, as if that song was made for him. Same goes for the Motörhead one.

• Like 1

It's weird I did not know it was a Stones cover when it came out (I was only 14-15), than years later I was listening to classic rock radio and a kind of more mellow version of the song came on and I was kind of shocked, and the DJ said it was Rolling Stones and I was like "ohh", since than I have become a pretty big Stones fan and I would rank Sympathy as one of my favorite Stones song and let's just say my opinion of the Guns version is not good, if Slash said there was no need to cover the song than I agree with him.

And for the record I liked the GNR version alot when it came it out

Edited by k12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

And as much as Slash has described it as the sound of a band breaking up, it still sounds as good to my ears as any cover from the (mostly) original lineup. Axl sounds great, and Slash’s guitar solos are fantastic too. 
Duff and Matt play great rhythm throughout as well. 

Guess that's something you only hear when you recorded that and were there. to everyone else it just sounds normal

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

It’s funny, one of the things that Slash despised about the song, was the call and answer type lead guitar parts that Paul played along with Slash’s parts, but they’re some of my favourite things in the song. 

I was never much of a fan of the Stones version, and wasn’t even really familiar with it in 1994 when GN’R released their cover, so I’ve always preferred the Guns version. I’ve grown to appreciate the Stones original over the years though.

And as much as Slash has described it as the sound of a band breaking up, it still sounds as good to my ears as any cover from the (mostly) original lineup. Axl sounds great, and Slash’s guitar solos are fantastic too. 
Duff and Matt play great rhythm throughout as well. 

I'm there with you. Despite all drama it caused, I actually really like the Paul Tobias "response guitar part" to Slash's solo. It's not something I'd want over every Slash guitar solo, but considering Slash more or less plays it close to the original, I always felt it was a nice little flourish. I cannot say I like it more than The Rolling Stones original, but I do consider it a "top-tier" cover, and would rank it over a good bit of The Spaghetti Incident. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Can we all at least agree that Jumpin' Jack Flash is their best Stones cover?

JJF acoustic > JJF electric > Sympathy > Dead Flowers > Sway

SFTD was a big deal when it came out. First new GNR music for a while and linked to a really cool movie (Interview with a Vampire). I was young at the time but I remember being totally hyped. I thought there would be a new GNR album out around 96:)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, axl666 said:

SFTD was a big deal when it came out. First new GNR music for a while and linked to a really cool movie (Interview with a Vampire). I was young at the time but I remember being totally hyped. I thought there would be a new GNR album out around 96:)

Same here. I remember it being pretty big and having hope that a new album would be out in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

I honestly find Axl's singing on this comical.

It's like an Axl impersonator doing all the cliches. Yeeeeaaaaaauuuuuhhhhh!   Of my gaaaayyuuuuumm.

It's like that Nancy Vandal song 'when i squeeze my nose i sound like axl rose yeeeeeaaaaaauuuuuhhhhh!

• Like 1