Power Trip

man I almost booked a trip to this mainly to see Ozzy, I actually thought it was odd Ozzy would play this show given all his health issues, not a surprise to see him cancel, I hope I am wrong but I can't imagine him playing a full concert again

48 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

That's disappointing. Priest is still a solid band, but they barely fill theaters anymore. For the price of those tickets, I was hoping for a bigger act. 

You said it, this is a major kick in the teeth after spending almost 2k per ticket.  They just replaced ozzy on a bill loaded with stadium bands with one who can barely fill 5k venues…and is a secomd tier headliner at US metal festivals.  Hopefully a class action lawsuit is on the way against the promoter for fucking the fans over yet again.  This thing isnt selling well to begin with, Priest wont move any tickets.  Horrible decision. 

5 hours ago, center27j said:

You said it, this is a major kick in the teeth after spending almost 2k per ticket.  They just replaced ozzy on a bill loaded with stadium bands with one who can barely fill 5k venues…and is a secomd tier headliner at US metal festivals.  Hopefully a class action lawsuit is on the way against the promoter for fucking the fans over yet again.  This thing isnt selling well to begin with, Priest wont move any tickets.  Horrible decision. 

Hahhaahhah yes a class action lawsuit against the promoter because Ozzy isn't healthy enough to play 

Not that I can go anyway but I think Priest are a great sub. They might not pull in crazy numbers nowadays but in terms of legacy (and this festival is all about that) I think some forget how big they were in the 80s - particularly in the US. They still put on a great show too.

I actually wanted a them instead of Tool (never been a fan).

Edited by DTJ80
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Which other band would you guys have suggested?

System, Aerosmith……theyve had these guys as a backup since day 1 and thats my issue. Oz was prob always a longshot, the problem is replacing him with a band that cant half fill an arena and is far from a headline act for the prices they are asking. Its a major screw job to the fans….But what else is new. 

On 4/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, tsinindy said:

OK, there's still a GA area in front of the stage and like most "PIT" tickets they are the most expensive ticket.  Really not sure what your point is.  I mean you can pay $1600 for pit tickets for 6 bands that individually would cost at least $300 each (or more) for similar.  Seems like a bargain to me actually.  

I realize I'm responding to a post that's a few months old here. But the thing is not all of these bands charge the ridiculous ticket prices that GN'R does. Maiden is usually $125-150 for stranding, the only time I've paid more than that (In the US) is $175 at MSG. AC/DC only ever did standing tickets in the US in 2015 and it was only at some venues, but I believe they were about $115 before fees. Metallica is more on the expensive side but still not as much as GN'R - I think standing tickets for Buffalo last year for example were around $225. I have no knowledge of Ozzy's or Tool's ticket prices, but I can't imagine they're any more than GN'R. 

But besides talking strict numbers, festivals are almost always priced to provide value, not a like for like cost. Riot Fest - a major festival which attracts huge headliners and a full bill (Not just a trio of co-headline shows) has their 3 day tickets at $289 this year. Even their fanciest package which includes air conditioned viewing areas and inclusive food options is only $1499 - still $200 than the cost of just standing in the pit in Indio. The last time I saw any two of these bands share a stage was Sonisphere Festival in 2014 which had Maiden and Metallica as Saturday/Sunday headliners - the tickets for the full three day weekend were basically the cost of a standing ticket for the two of them combined, and that's without factoring any other artists in. There is simply no value in this event - it's just geared towards people who can afford it and want to say they saw a bunch of bands past their prime all in the same weekend. 

On 7/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, center27j said:

That's just not how the music industry works. Artists cancel - it sucks, but it happens. The contract you enter with a promoter when you buy a ticket to an event isn't for the artist you're seeing, but for the event itself. It's the same way promoters get away with not giving refunds if for example an outdoor show starts but has to be cut short due to inclement weather or some such reason. Festivals get even hairier because you're likely only talking about a single artist canceling while nobody else does. 

For what it's worth, I like this bill (Musically) a lot more with Priest replacing Ozzy. It's true Priest doesn't have the commercial appeal in the US anymore (Despite still being pretty big in Europe), but they're still a really good live band at their age, and stylistically they fit in really well as they sort of bridge the gap between the straight ahead hard rock and the metal bands on the bill. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 6:16 PM, center27j said:

Class action?  It isn't Power Trip's fault Ozzy turned out to be in poorer health than he initially anticipated compared to how he felt things were going at the time of accepting the offer

I know it sucks, but "class action lawsuit" isn't a get out of jail card free card for ticket buyers who buy tickets for shows where things can change in the interim, especially festivals

Edited by WhazUp

8 hours ago, center27j said:

System, Aerosmith……theyve had these guys as a backup since day 1 and thats my issue. Oz was prob always a longshot, the problem is replacing him with a band that cant half fill an arena and is far from a headline act for the prices they are asking. Its a major screw job to the fans….But what else is new. 

You can't make bands play a show. How do you know that both bands weren't asked?  Aerosmith is going out on their own tour and system of a down almost never plays shows.

Might as well say they should have gotten Roger and David to reunite pink floyd or see Page and Plant wanted to play a show together lol.

12 hours ago, center27j said:

I don’t understand this narrative that Priest is essentially a no-name band. They have plenty of name recognition still, it’s literally only in the US that they don’t have the commercial pull that they do in the rest of the world. We’re still talking about a band that fills arenas in Europe regularly and headlines festivals, even in the US. I’ve seen them headline Rock On The Range maybe 6-7 years ago (Mind you GN’R has also headlined that), they were a main stage headliner at Hell & Heaven Fest in Mexico last year, and they’re a two-time Wacken headliner - that’s no small resume. Besides all that they still sound phenomenal live (Despite only being 3/5 original or longtime members), and they’re pretty much a like for like swap for Ozzy in terms of crossover appeal (Notwithstanding the retirement angle with Ozzy). I think they’re a fantastic choice, and I say this as somebody who is a completely casual Priest fan. 

• Like 1

I hope the prices drop, I was at Desert Trip and enjoyed it from 2km from the stage, but that lineup was insane!! I want to go to Power trip but they need to either put GA closer or drop de prices, the food, beer, hotels, etc are fn expensive too! 

Love Priest (probably top 10) but I’d have been disappointed if I had bought tickets to see Ozzy. They should have just got Sabbath to fill in & had Rob sing like they did in the 90’s/00’s. Either that or one of the other old singers like Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin.

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not surprised this stuff isn't selling, and also a bit glad. 

This prices are fucking insane (whatever anyone says), as shown by the fact people can't/won't pay them. 

I hope for anyone interested in going that they get flogged off cheap. 

I dont mind paying US$600 to see 6 big main event bands.... but not from 2 fn km from a big screen it doesnt make sense. IT worked for Desert Trip but not for this hard rock metal crowd. I wish they changed this i love all 6 bands.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not surprised this stuff isn't selling, and also a bit glad. 

This prices are fucking insane (whatever anyone says), as shown by the fact people can't/won't pay them. 

I hope for anyone interested in going that they get flogged off cheap. 

The inaccessible of where it is is the worst for me

it’s 2 bands a day, put that shit in a stadium

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Love Priest (probably top 10) but I’d have been disappointed if I had bought tickets to see Ozzy. They should have just got Sabbath to fill in & had Rob sing like they did in the 90’s/00’s. Either that or one of the other old singers like Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin.

love Tony Martin Sabbath - it's my favorite era of Sabbath behind Dio - but it would not go over well at all for an event of this magnitude. An overwhelming majority of Sabbath fans either actively dislike Tony Martin era, or are indifferent at best. 

8 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

LOL can't wait to see 71 years old Rob Halford effortlessly outperforming Axl (dear sweet baby angel of many in this forum)

And he will. Halford is without a doubt the best vocalist of the older bands on this bill nowadays (I can't speak for Tool as I really don't listen to them at all) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

LOL can't wait to see 71 years old Rob Halford effortlessly outperforming Axl (dear sweet baby angel of many in this forum)

And he'll outperform every other singer that weekend as well. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don’t understand this narrative that Priest is essentially a no-name band. They have plenty of name recognition still, it’s literally only in the US that they don’t have the commercial pull that they do in the rest of the world. We’re still talking about a band that fills arenas in Europe regularly and headlines festivals, even in the US.

I always thought Priest were massive in the US, especially during the 80s…. Maybe my perception of their popularity in the US has been skewed by guys taking them so seriously there as to shoot themselves in the head and having watched “heavy metal parking lot” too many times. :D 

Edited by Powderfinger