Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That would be great!

He's supported them before and they're friends and Joe too, so.....yea....

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

That would be great!

He's supported them before and they're friends and Joe too, so.....yea....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash mentioned Jack White not wanting to sing, but not what the song was:

Slash: I wanted to get Jack White to sing on something, but he didn't want to sing. He said I'll play drums, I'll play guitar, but I don't wanna sing. He was one guy that I wanted to work with. Pretty much everyone else that I went after I managed to get. [ Music Radar, November 4, 2009]

2007-2010: SLASH THE SOLO RECORD AND TOUR (The History Of GN'R As Told By GN'R - a-4-d.com)

Pretty sure I read it back then, probably in a german magazine, but I can’t say for certain.

43 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It was Dave who refused to sing. Have never heard of Jack White refusing to also sing for that same song. Maybe you got it mixed up?

It’s almost 14 years now, indeed I could mix something up. I don’t think so, but it’s possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Pretty sure I read it back then, probably in a german magazine, but I can’t say for certain.

It’s almost 14 years now, indeed I could mix something up. I don’t think so, but it’s possible.

According to this one, the song Jack White was going to be on was one of the songs Myles sang:

Slash: I did the record with Eric Valentine who is the most superb producer and the perfect guy for me; it was almost like match made in heaven for this project. Originally Mark Ronson was slated to do it and there was this one song I couldn't figure out who was going to sing it. He suggested Jack White and I thought that'd be interesting so he went to Jack White and Jack said, "I'll play drums on it, I'll play guitar on it, but I won't sing on it." And for some singers that's a very personal thing that they do within the confines of their own group. So that one didn't happen. Another one, there's an instrumental on the record, and Dave Grohl was playing drums and I originally wanted him to sing it as well but he was like, "I don't like doing guest spots. I suck at it," so we just made an instrumental out of it. There was one other guy I couldn't get because of contractual [reasons]. Everybody else I was really fortunate to get and for the song that Jack White was going to do, I ended up working with Myles Kennedy which was a blessing in disguise. [ L.A. Weekly, February 15, 2010]

• Like 1

Bums me out to think the lack of Izzy is a reflection of the state of their rapport post-NITL. 

Maybe we need some kind of legislation to force them to collaborate one more time. This is what governments are for. 

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I’d like to see him in a smaller venue as the main act tbh. Supporting Aerosmith means playing in front of empty stadiums by daylight like Lenny Kravitz did during some of the reunion shows. IDK… I don’t even know if he should play festivals with a blues set like this. I guess I should wait for the album to build an opinion.

Most of the festival lineups are already announced, and slash isn't playing any of them. Seeing slash in a club is always great but he isn't going to fill a full 90 minute set just playing these blues covers. He could fill the set with GNR or SMKC songs but then why not just tour with the conspirators you know?

Either way I hope to get the chance to see him on this tour.

22 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Most of the festival lineups are already announced, and slash isn't playing any of them. Seeing slash in a club is always great but he isn't going to fill a full 90 minute set just playing these blues covers. He could fill the set with GNR or SMKC songs but then why not just tour with the conspirators you know?

12 covers (including songs that weren't on the album, but that he still enjoys playing.)

You Ain't The First and/or You're Crazy.

2-3 Snakepit songs (Something About Your Love? Back And Forth Again? Plenty of cool options to choose from, they could rotate a few Snakepit songs...)

An instrumental jam or two.

I would travel to see that show...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No. :bitchfight:

Always liked the live versions, I'd like to hear Slash play it either with this band or for GNR to bring it back on the next tour.

Honestly I'd like to hear any GNR song live that I haven't heard in person before so I'd gladly take it.  It was never one of my favorites tho.

Wish I got to see SMKC play Don't Damn Me 😓

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Honestly I'd like to hear any GNR song live that I haven't heard in person before so I'd gladly take it.  It was never one of my favorites tho.

Wish I got to see SMKC play Don't Damn Me 😓

I feel like if there's any GNR songs he could work into a set like this, YATF would be one of them. But I'm almost more interested to see what Snakepit songs he dusts off, if any. This has the potential to be the coolest tour he's done in a long time...

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I guess playing live is different to playing in the studio for many players, look at how Slashs playing deteriorated into the same mess within the last 2 or 3 years, but on this new studio recording he played way more focused compared to his live solos. Zakk is the same, these guys just get caught up in the live energy or something, I can't explain it really.

Pretty soon to say that. Based on the first single, he's still cramming every note he can fit in with no breathing room.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I feel like if there's any GNR songs he could work into a set like this, YATF would be one of them. But I'm almost more interested to see what Snakepit songs he dusts off, if any. This has the potential to be the coolest tour he's done in a long time...

Ain't Life Grand would rule!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

According to this one, the song Jack White was going to be on was one of the songs Myles sang:

Slash: I did the record with Eric Valentine who is the most superb producer and the perfect guy for me; it was almost like match made in heaven for this project. Originally Mark Ronson was slated to do it and there was this one song I couldn't figure out who was going to sing it. He suggested Jack White and I thought that'd be interesting so he went to Jack White and Jack said, "I'll play drums on it, I'll play guitar on it, but I won't sing on it." And for some singers that's a very personal thing that they do within the confines of their own group. So that one didn't happen. Another one, there's an instrumental on the record, and Dave Grohl was playing drums and I originally wanted him to sing it as well but he was like, "I don't like doing guest spots. I suck at it," so we just made an instrumental out of it. There was one other guy I couldn't get because of contractual [reasons]. Everybody else I was really fortunate to get and for the song that Jack White was going to do, I ended up working with Myles Kennedy which was a blessing in disguise. [ L.A. Weekly, February 15, 2010]

Oh yeah, thanks for finding that. Memory can be misleading sometimes :shrugs:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I never was a festival guy so I have no idea. I know a lot of bands were already announced but I actually thought there might be some free spots for more spontaneous artists… idk :lol:

Well, play those 12 songs, add the slow You're Crazy, Neither Can I, Baggers and Hangers On, Ain’t Life Grand, Back From Cali, By The Sword Always On The Run and jam the shit out of those

What's better than jamming on some cool blues songs?

It’s easily a 90min to 2h set and we still don’t know which covers they’ve recorded but not used yet. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • PERHAPS 1

4 minutes ago, LandOla said:

Yes!!!

Track 12, Metal chestnut has Axl on it. Fucking finally something else besides Chinese leftovers

no, Metal Chestnut is an instrumental and there is no confirmation that Axl is playing on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LandOla said:

Yes!!!

Track 12, Metal chestnut has Axl on it. Fucking finally something else besides Chinese leftovers

Nothing to suggest that the piano arrangement is new and not from 1999

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

no, Metal Chestnut is an instrumental and there is no confirmation that Axl is playing on it.

That would be a total letdown, to have Axl on it but not singing. Well piano would be nice too but damn we need new studio vocals.

• ABSUЯD 1

19 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Ya know I was thinking. If Slash is touring without the conspirators and is just going to tour on this album I wonder if he is going to be playing these shows as a support act. 

This album will be bigger than anything Conspirators. 

• Like 2