Have You Given Up On The Band?

I haven't had faith in this band since 2017.

I joined this place in 2004 for the band, stayed around for the community, and now I just don't see myself leaving. I've taken some extended breaks from posting here and there but I always find my way back. The band itself is like a trainwreck at this point. It's hard to look away!

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I haven't had faith in this band since 2017.

I joined this place in 2004 for the band, stayed around for the community, and now I just don't see myself leaving. I've taken some extended breaks from posting here and there but I always find my way back. The band itself is like a trainwreck at this point. It's hard to look away!

I have to respectfully disagree with your comment. How are they a trainwreck now?! They just had one of the most successful tours in rock history.  I understand that you maybe disappointed regarding a new album. A trainwreck, though?!  I think this comment would definitely apply  from 2011-2014. Now?! I really don't think so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Draguns said:

I have to respectfully disagree with your comment. How are they a trainwreck now?! They just had one of the most successful tours in rock history.  I understand that you maybe disappointed regarding a new album. A trainwreck, though?!  I think this comment would definitely apply  from 2011-2014. Now?! I really don't think so. 

That's an opinion not based on success but on the quality. Considering how Axl sounds nowadays, it's reasonable. Not that I don't care, I do, but I become a fan mostly because of the guitar, not so much because of the vocals. So I had a great experience watching them live and I even can enjoy the NITL Selects, although it becomes harder and harder with each release.

Other people don't see it that way. They can't enjoy Slash anymore, either because of his takes on CD stuff or because of other issues, like noodling. Then there are people who don't care for the rest, like Melissa, Frank or Richard or are simply disappointed with the management. It's all reasonable...

• Like 1

As a long time fan of the 87 to 93 line-up its a shame as to what we have.

I'm more excited about the illusion anniversary than for new music. Am i clamouring for new music?. No.

Am i interested in buying it to hear what they have to say at this point of their lives?. Yes.

This band has had many reasons to release music, and probably more to do with axl considering Axl has the GNR ownership since slash officially walked way in 96.

One album in 25 years and one live DVD ( appetite for democracy)  says it all.

GNR has always been a band about the sum of each members parts rather than 1 person (axl).

I feel the band will release new music but i feel that will be down to pressure from slash and duff  because they are artists. 

If the band release new music, will anyone care?.

If it was down to axl he would rather just tour and not release new music. Just have GNR be the stale band they were from 2011 to 14.

Its a shame this band have not released any NITL DVD,  no new single, like other of their contemporaries like metallica. I feel slash and duff would like to release something but its all down to axl.

I feel sorry for new fans say 12 to 16 who have just found the band for the first time thinking they release music often only to be disappointed at the small discography and reading our forum from disgruntled fans that cant understand why the band, with all of the talent, and how huge they were from 87 to 93, cant release new music.

• GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Success doesn't necessarily equal quality. Since 2017, after the initial reunion buzz had worn off, it's been hard for me to enjoy this soulless version of the band. Axl sounds worse by the day, the rest of the band look bored as fuck, management (and I use that term loosely) is a complete joke, and we are seemingly no closer to a new album. There's always an excuse for how little this band can function.

"It's not the right time. We're looking at different ways. Music is consumed differently these days. There's a pandemic."

It's as bad as it was from 2011-2014 except now Slash and Duff are there to be dragged down as well. I'd be embarrassed to show anybody those selects (except maybe the Houston/Mexico one). Those definitely sound like a trainwreck to me - how the mighty have fallen. The singer just doesn't care and his behaviour is enabled by the overgrown toddler that's been put in charge. Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. Otherwise, I doubt they'd be sticking around again. The payday is probably nice for what little effort is required.

That's just my opinion, but that's certainly how I feel.

Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. 

👆 This is how i see it to. I feel duff and slash, care more about whatever legacy is left especially from the 87 to 93 era.

From Slashs first solo effort in 2010, i feel he's the only one from the original lineup that still carries the old school GNR torch.

Separate topic, but Duff added Dust N Bones when touring with Shooter Jennings. Why didnt they add that to the GNR NITL setlist?.

• Like 1

I wonder

56 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. 

👆 This is how i see it to. I feel duff and slash, care more about whatever legacy is left especially from the 87 to 93 era.

From Slashs first solo effort in 2010, i feel he's the only one from the original lineup that still carries the old school GNR torch.

Separate topic, but Duff added Dust N Bones when touring with Shooter Jennings. Why didnt they add that to the GNR NITL setlist?.

Good points, I wonder if Slash and Duff were concerned with what Axl was doing with Guns n Roses and their legacy hence reunion.  I wasnt around until a year ago so did not see it all for myself but have read everthing including posts from way back and this hold some credence.  As to giving up on the band I think Axl did  long  ago, it seems he lost his way and  was brought back by Axl and Duff.  Who knows.  

I dont think anything new will be released now and there are certainly not going to be any interviews with Axl so it is a case of appreciating what we have got..  I wish we could do a bit of time travelling and ask the young Axl how he feels about the direction his older self took and why.  Axl memoirs would be good.

It seems like they are completly out of touch with the real world. People on fb and everywhere are irritated by these meaningless photos and lack of music. The Doors for example post interesting stuff like quotes from Jim with background info, never before seen photos, etc. GnR posts are random pics with stupid, meaningless one fn liners. It's just shit all around. Nothing interesting, ever. It just sucks.

• Like 2

I have. I gave up on them before the pandemic though. The few 2020 shows showed no signs of new music (with the exception of hard school which doesn’t confirm an album or even a single release) and appeared to be a continuation of NITL. If new music wasn’t gonna happen at any point from 2019 to now it’s never gonna happen period in my opinion. Axl is approaching 60. It’s over in my opinion.

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It seems like they are completly out of touch with the real world. People on fb and everywhere are irritated by these meaningless photos and lack of music. The Doors for example post interesting stuff like quotes from Jim with background info, never before seen photos, etc. GnR posts are random pics with stupid, meaningless one fn liners. It's just shit all around. Nothing interesting, ever. It just sucks.

Yeah, but Morrison has only been dead for 50 years.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that no one is holding out any realistic hope anymore for anything outside of merch and live shows. If they ever get new music out, it is likely to be CD Era Frankenstein songs but even if they do manage to put together something completely new I am not sure based on the majority of the CD lyrics that Axl will have anything interesting to say (not the same as having a good melody though, he didn't seem to struggle there).

On 12/25/2020 at 8:19 PM, Free Bird said:

That's an opinion not based on success but on the quality. Considering how Axl sounds nowadays, it's reasonable. Not that I don't care, I do, but I become a fan mostly because of the guitar, not so much because of the vocals. So I had a great experience watching them live and I even can enjoy the NITL Selects, although it becomes harder and harder with each release.

Other people don't see it that way. They can't enjoy Slash anymore, either because of his takes on CD stuff or because of other issues, like noodling. Then there are people who don't care for the rest, like Melissa, Frank or Richard or are simply disappointed with the management. It's all reasonable...

You cannot control what the band members or their management do.. 

Does the band, its members or management control what you do in your daily life.. 

We are just fans.. 

We as fans can choose to listen to our favourite tracks, watch or listen to past line ups of the band based on your own preferences or buy a ticket to see the band live.. 

Or you can walk away.. 

That's your choice, not the bands or their management team.. 

Do you guys not understand, how petty some of your comments are.. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

I guess you can put me down for having given up on the band. Actually i don't consider them a band in a long time. They don't have the hunger to create or to express themselves through music (at least Axl as far as i'm concerned). They just tour for the fat paychecks and for the camaraderie. I occasionally check things out just for kicks, after all i do love their early days. 

Edited by poutsa

The level of their incompetence truly is staggering. From the quality of Axl's performance to their ridiculous social media interaction, lack of new music, disrespect to the hardcore fanbase and total secrecy. It's just a big :vomit:

Nevertheless they remain one of the most popular bands in the world, selling out huge venues and making a ton of dough. Just goes to show how amazing this band used to be and the impact it had. The nostalgia is so strong that they can go through the motions for the rest of their careers. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Well. Simple question.

I’ll start. I have.

In a year where we can get kickass albums from so many artists, this would have been the perfect time.

Now? It’s the perfect time to give up on this band. It’s over. They’ll get their blind followers who jizz all over or squirt over them from their countries that post the same fucking nonsense because they treat the band like a religion.....

Who’s with me?

I think, I look forward to bands releasing albums, but I never expect. I've enjoyed other albums by other bands this year and I've enjoyed listening to some old GN'R music, occasionally. 

In my opinion, I think it would be more sensible for GN'R to release new material when they are able to tour, in the same way Abba haven't released their new songs. I think where there is a long gap between albums, it does make more sense.