Nascar car sponsored by GNR

I'm not saying this NASCAR thing will lead to anything, I've given up hope on that years ago... But sponsoring a car in a NASCAR Cup Race costs several hundred thousand dollars, and I would assume that price would be even higher for Daytona 500.

Why would they waste that amount without something to promote? It would be idiotic. Which, well wouldn't be the first time they had idiotic promotion campaigns.

• Like 1

Just now, Ratam said:

Sorry for my ignorance, NASCAR racecars have same prestige like Indianapolis or many European racecars?

The NASCAR Cup series the biggest racing series in the US and the Daytona 500 is the series' biggest race – one of the biggest single day sporting events in the world. Despite only racing in the US, the Cup series is one of the biggest motorsport series in the world, and draws an international audience (in the same way NFL does). The Daytona 500 heightens all of that. Many people both in and outside the US will only watch the Daytona 500 this year

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Secondly, if the car wins the Daytona 500? That car goes on display at the track for a full year until the next Daytona 500. Can't be driven again for a full year. And Guns N' Roses get massive exposure for sponsoring a car that wins the biggest, most important NASCAR race of the year. It is the Super Bowl of stock car racing.

This is a BIG DEAL, and I hope, with good results, the band puts their name on the #43 car for multiple races this year.

They've grossed north of $500M over the last six years and have been one of the biggest bands in the world for the last 35 years, they don't need exposure anymore.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

They've grossed north of $500M over the last six years and have been one of the biggest bands in the world for the last 35 years, they don't need exposure anymore.

If Metallica did this, you'd be saying "Why can't Guns N' Roses do something like this?"

I get it, Metallica has a new record coming out in April, while we see nothing new on the Guns horizon. Perhaps, as unlikely as it might seem right now, this car sponsorship is the stepping stone to a very proactive 2023. And who knows? Maybe if the car wins Daytona, the band releases a new song to mark the victory.

One thing is certain: putting their name on a car for the Daytona 500 did not come cheap for the band. If they invested that much money, they expect to make it back. If the car finishes first or in the top five, there will be a lot of money in the form of merchandise sales coming back to them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

It’s ironic to me that nascars go in circles… kinda like this band.

no diss intended against nascar but I’m from Australia. The only round thing we have is our footy fields

And your drinking games. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I don't really get all the hate and putdowns for this.

First of all, it's a badass looking car. I will be buying a die cast model, and any other sizes, if they're made available.

Secondly, if the car wins the Daytona 500? That car goes on display at the track for a full year until the next Daytona 500. Can't be driven again for a full year. And Guns N' Roses get massive exposure for sponsoring a car that wins the biggest, most important NASCAR race of the year. It is the Super Bowl of stock car racing.

This is a BIG DEAL, and I hope, with good results, the band puts their name on the #43 car for multiple races this year.

I don't get the hate either....but I also don't know why people give a shit either way. 

It's just totally irrelevant. GNR don't need exposure, and the only people it's a big deal to are those handling the finances. 

It's a paint job on a car. That's about it to me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

The NASCAR Cup series the biggest racing series in the US and the Daytona 500 is the series' biggest race – one of the biggest single day sporting events in the world. Despite only racing in the US, the Cup series is one of the biggest motorsport series in the world, and draws an international audience (in the same way NFL does). The Daytona 500 heightens all of that. Many people both in and outside the US will only watch the Daytona 500 this year

You do realise that hardly anyone outside of the united states even bats an eyelid at the aforementioned sports. You my good man are presenting a very US centric view here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, grouse said:

You do realise that hardly anyone outside of the united states even bats an eyelid at the aforementioned sports. You my good man are presenting a very US centric view here.

I have a friend in Europe that gets and shares US news before I (as an American) do. 

1 hour ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

If Metallica did this, you'd be saying "Why can't Guns N' Roses do something like this?"

I get it, Metallica has a new record coming out in April, while we see nothing new on the Guns horizon. Perhaps, as unlikely as it might seem right now, this car sponsorship is the stepping stone to a very proactive 2023. And who knows? Maybe if the car wins Daytona, the band releases a new song to mark the victory.

One thing is certain: putting their name on a car for the Daytona 500 did not come cheap for the band. If they invested that much money, they expect to make it back. If the car finishes first or in the top five, there will be a lot of money in the form of merchandise sales coming back to them.

I don't care about NASCAR or the fact that the band sponsored a car to promote what will most likely be a new merch line. If Metallica did this, I wouldn't really care either because they've done so much for their fans that sponsoring a car would be a footnote. I'd love to be wrong about them using it to promote a single or tour, but I'm 99% certain that this is to promote some overpriced merch. The car looks cool but I'd rather they release some new songs.

Edited by Gibson87

5 hours ago, Swedish said:

I'm not saying this NASCAR thing will lead to anything, I've given up hope on that years ago... But sponsoring a car in a NASCAR Cup Race costs several hundred thousand dollars, and I would assume that price would be even higher for Daytona 500.

Why would they waste that amount without something to promote? It would be idiotic. Which, well wouldn't be the first time they had idiotic promotion campaigns.

Because these are things that rich people do for fun?

I don't care what their reasoning is behind this.  GNR has a fast car.  I'm not a NASCAR fan but you get a GNR car, suddenly I want to know how it does.  Not a GNR merch fan either but suddenly it includes a race car, lets see what you've got.  The combo works for me.  Somebody is getting my attention and my money some where in this deal.

• Like 1