ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Absurd would be the worst song on Chinese by a country mile, I usually hold those places for scraped and Rhiad. Slash lifts the song but if it was on Chinese god knows what it would have sounded like. Some of ye have heard the leak... I'll skip that search😄

I hope that it's not too late to say Absurd was an experiment but it won't be released on the new album. I know Beta confirmed it being on the final album but it would be great not to have to skip it everytime😄 

Interesting. 

As for me Scrapped and Rhiad are some of my picks as favorites on CD. I lean more towards the heavier music, as apposed to the ballads. 

So for me the tracks CD, Shacklers, Better, Scrapped, Riad and IRS I lean towards over the others. 

Absurd fits into that mould, and compared to the tracks I've listed is probably the weaker one so can see why it'd be dropped for the other heavier options on CD. 

In saying that I hope Absurd isn't on the new album, if there ever is one, as I'd rather new material as apposed to rehashed stuff. 

11 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Interesting. 

As for me Scrapped and Rhiad are some of my picks as favorites on CD. I lean more towards the heavier music, as apposed to the ballads. 

So for me the tracks CD, Shacklers, Better, Scrapped, Riad and IRS I lean towards over the others. 

Absurd fits into that mould, and compared to the tracks I've listed is probably the weaker one so can see why it'd be dropped for the other heavier options on CD. 

In saying that I hope Absurd isn't on the new album, if there ever is one, as I'd rather new material as apposed to rehashed stuff. 

I love Shacklers, Chinese, better, IRS, Sorry and I like parts of the other two but they are too erratic for my taste.... I know I just said I like Shacklers which might seem like a contradiction, but to me Shacklers is a pretty straight forward rocker once you get past the whammy riff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I know I just said I like Shacklers which might seem like a contradiction, but to me Shacklers is a pretty straight forward rocker once you get past the whammy riff.

Unless you're talking about that simple riff behind the power chords in the chorus, Shacklers riff is not played with a whammy. 

On 8/6/2021 at 4:26 AM, Modano09 said:

Look, if you want new music pretend you like this. 

Greetings old pals far and wide! Big poster from 06-09, I think my last post was 2 years ago or something saying I haven't heard leaks and don't want to. I'll wait for official releases! Yeah, so here we are! 

I heard about Absurd yesterday, so not that atop of music news, and gave it an eager listen! So,,, yeah. Then today I wondered how the fans are enjoying this, came here looked at pages 1-5. Then checked 50 to see if better, the same. Then 100, 'still not growing on me.' 

I think the above post from page 2 wins the "Sad Comedy" award. Sad as Modano might be right, yet still funny as hell. So yeah, Axl might see the reaction and never release another thing, but C'mon, what would they expect with this!? 0 melody, sheer chaos, it's OMG all over. Silkworms I mostly read, sure, same. Another poster thought it was a joke, real song coming at midnight, it broke my heart to know these dreams were to be shattered. 

In case Modano is right back on point... 

Man this song is amaaaazing! WOW, what a moving piece of lyrical and musical wonderment! Lay some more of these "Big Guns" on us GnR, can't wait! 

26 minutes ago, axlskAmpf said:

Greetings old pals far and wide! Big poster from 06-09, I think my last post was 2 years ago or something saying I haven't heard leaks and don't want to. I'll wait for official releases! Yeah, so here we are! 

I heard about Absurd yesterday, so not that atop of music news, and gave it an eager listen! So,,, yeah. Then today I wondered how the fans are enjoying this, came here looked at pages 1-5. Then checked 50 to see if better, the same. Then 100, 'still not growing on me.' 

I think the above post from page 2 wins the "Sad Comedy" award. Sad as Modano might be right, yet still funny as hell. So yeah, Axl might see the reaction and never release another thing, but C'mon, what would they expect with this!? 0 melody, sheer chaos, it's OMG all over. Silkworms I mostly read, sure, same. Another poster thought it was a joke, real song coming at midnight, it broke my heart to know these dreams were to be shattered. 

In case Modano is right back on point... 

Man this song is amaaaazing! WOW, what a moving piece of lyrical and musical wonderment! Lay some more of these "Big Guns" on us GnR, can't wait! 

There are plenty of ppl that like it. And large amounts that don't. Same goes for pretty much all songs really. 

I cannot stand Sweet Child, never have, but plenty of ppl dig it. 

OMG I didn't like the first listen but did after a few spins. Still like it now. Difference is that a lot of these songs I like and the whole of CD falls into that, is its not held on some legendry pedestal like the gnr catalog used to be for me. 

Said pedestal is unrealistic. All other bands and artists I absolutely dig, I'll go through dips n' phases. 

Problem with Guns is they are the absolute easiest band in the world to criticise. Imo they're doomed regardless with anything they release.

I for one like the song, could be better, but I enjoy the loudness and the aggressiveness of it. Albeit in a different vein then the aggressiveness of say appetite. 

14 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Apparently a soundboard version of Absurd from Fenway has leaked….dunno why it’s just that song if it’s true and why not the full gig? 🤔

I don't think we would want the whole gig.. I was there and as fun of a show as it was, Axl's voice wasn't in very good form.. He seems much better now after a few shows though.. 

• Like 1

First comments on this song.  At first, I was very 'meh' on it.  But after several listens (including in HD using headphones) I gotta say I love it.  What was a messy but interesting track as Silkworms has turned into a great track with Slash stamping his signature on it.  I'm a fan.  

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

19 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah you're right, think the only whammy is under the chorus? Can't really remember. 

Yes. It's a simple riff that Ashba played live. 

I'm not sure how much input Bucket gave on those parts of the song. Most def he didn't write that cliche chorus, I assume.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:13 PM, ThePreacher said:

It is just a horrible song. No matter how hard I try with my "fan glasses on"". It was horrible 20 years ago, it is horrible today.

Imagine Terminator 2 scenes with Absurd instead of YCBM :)

You've reminded me how the other day I was thinking how cool it would have been for Hard School to have been on the Terminator 3 soundtrack in 2003 as a teaser to Chinese Democracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think we would want the whole gig.. I was there and as fun of a show as it was, Axl's voice wasn't in very good form.. He seems much better now after a few shows though.. 

To be fair….even so regarding vocals….You can always pick out good stuff and to have any soundboard quality is good. Useful for curating various tour recordings ala Live Era. 🤣

Why just absurd though? 🤔

Edited by DTJ80

I took a few days apart from Absurd and came back to the studio version today, and I think that the beefier production helps it out a bit.  The bass and low end is more prominent here than anything on the finished CD album was, and it gives it a momentum and power that songs like Scraped and Riad would have benefited from greatly

That being said, I just don't think Absurd/Silkworms in any iteration has really been that great of a song.  If I wanted my fix of that style of song I always turned to Oh My God and think it is the stronger of the two

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Good luck with listening to Another Brick in the Wall without any of the synths. 

Great album without a doubt. 

I just didn't get the relation of "greatest albums in history" and CD...

No offense 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WAR41 said:

First comments on this song.  At first, I was very 'meh' on it.  But after several listens (including in HD using headphones) I gotta say I love it.  What was a messy but interesting track as Silkworms has turned into a great track with Slash stamping his signature on it.  I'm a fan.  

same , I was on my way to pick up my kids from school head banging like it was 1992 

• ABSUЯD 4

On 8/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, GnR Chris said:

I wonder how much different people's opinions would be if the third verse was newly recorded, new lyrics, or at least with Axl coming in with his trademark rasp. Might have been sort of cool. Sort of like the part in "Hard School" that kicks in the chorus: "But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way."

Yeah, pussy full of maggots lyrics aside, the song itself has a lot going for it with the added guitars and bass. Not lead single material, but if they extended the bridge and if Axl had more to say instead of repeating the same verse 3 times, they could have had something 

• Like 1