ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

Just now, Cory Trevor said:

The mix sounds awesome, CD meets the hard hitting nature of new Slash stuff! Song grew on me since I heard the 2001 version and the demo!! 

Even if you don’t like it, They’re back making shit in the studio, lets hope they follow this up with something else ASAP!!! 

Couldn't agree more. The song breathes and you can hear the different instruments working together rather than as a brick wall, Slash's little fills throughout are awesome to hear with headphones. Guitar tone sounds really good, kick drum prominent, 

• Like 2

WTF. This actually slaps the more I listen to it. I dig the vibe, anyone else getting a strong, "dangerous" It's So Easy vibe? I'm not someone who obsessively listened to leaks, just once or twice so I'm not that familiar with the old versions, but as someone who hears this as a "new" song it's not bad at all.

Also they must know radio has NO choice but to play this. It is the first GNR song with Slash since 1993. Well played by the band

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

So many on here have got it all wrong. 

I love the fact that it's divisive as fuck - think back to when you first heard Welcome To The Jungle or It's So Easy and what that was like.

The usual comeback route these day's for bands is for some dull Coldplay-esque radio-friendly thing with a some tired 80's synth pads underneath to somehow make it relevant.

This is genuinely edgy and will undoubtedly fuck a load of people off. Far more in keeping with their roots in many ways.

Not sure its something I'll listen to a great deal, but its in total what the fuck territory and has put a smile on my face this morning.

You are 100% correct in your summary. 

It shows how tight the band is musically and on the same wave length, including Slashs and Duffs involvement. 

The new album will have a vast array of different musical styles including some Slash and Duff influences in a different direction then Absurd. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

Annoys me that Brain is on drums.... why can't it be a current line up effort instead of using a 20 year old drum and vocal track? Van Halen made tracks like "She's a woman" sound FRESH by recording it new despite it being a shelved track. Guarantee you the album will be Silkworms, Oh my God, Hardschool and then all the leaks with new guitar and bass

Still having a hard time expressing my emotions about this. I thought I'd feel more excited when Axl and slash release something after 30 years. I'm kinda bummed out this release doesn't make me go apeshit like I hoped the first release would. 

But, there's hope on the horizon. I hope this is the start of more exciting things to come. 

About the song: the riff is kinda cool, yes. But the song is just too repetitive and doesn't go anywhere. But: it's just the most gnr thing to do to release something like this as Your first song. Got to give them that. And the fact that Axl actually released something....that is huge. Despite of the song he chose.

1 minute ago, Higson95 said:

Annoys me that Brain is on drums.... why can't it be a current line up effort instead of using a 20 year old drum and vocal track? Van Halen made tracks like "She's a woman" sound FRESH by recording it new despite it being a shelved track. Guarantee you the album will be Silkworms, Oh my God, Hardschool and then all the leaks with new guitar and bass

I don't understand this logic complaining of old vocal tracks. Do you want age 58 Axl vocals? Do you think that's an improvement? The older the vocals the BETTER they will sound because Axl was YOUNGER. The further back they were recorded the better they will sound. Fuck, put unreleased 1988 vocals somewhere if you can, GNR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering if this the fewest number of guitarists on a GNR track since "The Spaghetti Incident?", but I looked at the credits for Chinese Democracy again and I think This I Love only had Finck and Bumblefoot.

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Depending on hangover, I'll need to request it on a few morning radio stations tomorrow. Not a chance will it be entertained!

I’m sure Bruno Brooks played Killing In The Name on Radio 1 back in the day and wasn’t aware of the ‘fuck you’ bit 🤣.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't understand this logic complaining of old vocal tracks. Do you want age 58 Axl vocals? Do you think that's an improvement? The older the vocals the BETTER they will sound because Axl was YOUNGER. The further back they were recorded the better they will sound. Fuck, put unreleased 1988 vocals somewhere if you can, GNR.

The problem is I think, Axl painted himself in a corner by waiting too long.  It is either worse new vocals, or an album of various copy and pasted vocal and instrumental tracks that inherently won't have the same uniform chemistry as it would if the band tracked the basic tracks live and did overdubs in the same time frame

I just hope if there is an album coming, there are some new Slash driven compositions where they all have to track fresh and have the potential to attain that chemistry that you can only get feeding off each other's musicality as opposed to adding to a Protools session

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Axl could easily have recorded these vocals in 2021. If they chose to go with old vocal takes that would simply be because there was no need to record them again. 

I don't really see the need to re-record vocals for songs that already have perfect vocal takes. 

• Like 2

I'm almost afraid to say it, but it really looks like they thought this through. There seems to be a vision behind this. Like others said, it's a perfect first single – in your face, divisive as fuck, not playing it safe and not afraid to take creative risks.

It just feels so refreshing to finally have a properly released song with all the bells and whistles, as it should be.

I even dig the medusa visuals and the cover with the stupid inverted R :lol:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The problem is I think, Axl painted himself in a corner by waiting too long.  It is either worse new vocals, or an album of various copy and pasted vocal and instrumental tracks that inherently won't have the same uniform chemistry as it would if the band tracked the basic tracks live and did overdubs in the same time frame

I just hope if there is an album coming, there are some new Slash driven compositions where they all have to track fresh and have the potential to attain that chemistry that you can only get feeding off each other's musicality as opposed to adding to a Protools session

In a way, the using of vocals recorded 20 years ago sorta offsets all the wasted time since then since the work from 20 years ago is the one we're getting before Axl turned 20 years older. I don't think the millions of GNR fans who arent obsessed enough to register on a fan forum would even put together that the vocals don't sound "uniform", and just assume Axl sang each song differently on purpose. What would matter to me as a casual fan is just if he sounds good.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown