THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Monsters release has already been fumbled twice IMO

First fumble is the obvious confusion being registered seemingly with TG. All signs pointed to a release on the Perhaps EP, but that didn’t happen. And of course, it leaked  

Second fumble, is just an opinion… I think changing the name from Soul Monster is a mistake. The song is directed at a singular person (or monster) yet the title is plural.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Its Tino said:

First fumble is the obvious confusion being registered seemingly with TG. All signs pointed to a release on the Perhaps EP, but that didn’t happen. And of course, it leaked  

Second fumble, is just an opinion… I think changing the name from Soul Monster is a mistake. The song is directed at a singular person (or monster) yet the title is plural.  

Agree on all points. Soul Monster is such a better title. best song they've got in the locker and they've completely fucked it up. get it out now

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Agree on all points. Soul Monster is such a better title. best song they've got in the locker and they've completely fucked it up. get it out now

Possibly yeah, they could change the title, same with Atlas shrugged 

You never know with this band 

14 hours ago, Its Tino said:

The leak is the big fuck-up. They sat on this for no reason. Should have been the first banger out of the gates. The comeback song, IMO. Not "Absurd," not "Hard Skool" with the goddamn bell. "Soul Monster."

And don't get me wrong, I dig "Absurd." I love "Hard Skool" and "Perhaps." I like "The General." But the comeback song was "Soul Monster," and it's the song that (beyond the cell leak snippet in abysmal quality) no one had ever heard before. 

I know "The General" is the ACTUAL one of the four released that we hadn't previously heard, but that's not as accessible and catchy as "Monsters." The surprise this month shouldn't have been "The General" video. It should have been a surprise drop of "Monsters" with a video. I would have been much kinder on the dumb AI. lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

The leak is the big fuck-up. They sat on this for no reason. Should have been the first banger out of the gates. The comeback song, IMO. Not "Absurd," not "Hard Skool" with the goddamn bell. "Soul Monster."

And don't get me wrong, I dig "Absurd." I love "Hard Skool" and "Perhaps." I like "The General." But the comeback song was "Soul Monster," and it's the song that (beyond the cell leak snippet in abysmal quality) no one had ever heard before. 

I know "The General" is the ACTUAL one of the four released that we hadn't previously heard, but that's not as accessible and catchy as "Monsters." The surprise this month shouldn't have been "The General" video. It should have been a surprise drop of "Monsters" with a video. I would have been much kinder on the dumb AI. lol

I still feel like Hard Skool is as good a comeback single as a modern- day GNR could muster. It ticks all the boxes- it is catchy, has a ton of Slash all over it, Axl screaming and rasp with a good chorus, and I even like the bell. No idea how Absurd was put out first. Either way, I was surprised Hard Skool didn't do anything. Monsters is my favorite song of the new ones, but I don't think it would make waves. 

There best bet would be a true new song that they write together and push. Maybe then it could make a few commercials and be played on rock radio stations for 6- months. Sadly, that is where they are at but whatever

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I still feel like Hard Skool is as good a comeback single as a modern- day GNR could muster. It ticks all the boxes- it is catchy, has a ton of Slash all over it, Axl screaming and rasp with a good chorus, and I even like the bell. No idea how Absurd was put out first. Either way, I was surprised Hard Skool didn't do anything. Monsters is my favorite song of the new ones, but I don't think it would make waves. 

There best bet would be a true new song that they write together and push. Maybe then it could make a few commercials and be played on rock radio stations for 6- months. Sadly, that is where they are at but whatever

With Hardskool...it just sounds bad. The casual listener won't realize the bad production, the copy and paste stuff and all that in detail, but the released version just feels off and cold.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

With Hardskool...it just sounds bad. The casual listener won't realize the bad production, the copy and paste stuff and all that in detail, but the released version just feels off and cold.

I’m good with it; I like the song, but that’s just me

• Like 4

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

These drums :vomit:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Yep, Soul Monster is such a cool title plus it connects back to the lyrics. Unlike TG. I wonder if they pulled some tricks to change the lyrics from “the monster can’t…” to “the monsters can’t…” to make Monsters make a little more sense. Regardless the new title sucks in comparison IMO. 

Regardless it’s one of my fav GNR tracks. I’d say in my top 5 easily.

I don't give a shit if the official title ends up being The Fluffy Kitten Rainbow Ice Cream Monster - it's by far the best 'new' song we've heard this lineup play, the title is irrelevant.

That said, these all should've been released before they even thought of an AFD box... these leftovers, a Duff song and a cover song would've been a solid album in 2016-17. Five years later they didn't really have a 'comeback song' since they hadn't gone away, but Absurd killed a lot of interest in new stuff. The singles have been fun for us, but there's no comeback single that's gonna suddenly gets tons of radio play, be used in movies, etc.

The singles all had their flaws, but at their core they're just not A-list songs. Monsters is the only one we've heard that stands up to the rest of CD, imo. I think anyone hoping they write actual new music that's anywhere near as good as Monsters is gonna be very disappointed.

• Like 3

I still can’t get over The General being 4 minutes long. And super weird. I dig it but it’s not at all what I had in my head all these years. Beyond Bach’s comments those concert intros with the Beltrami Orchestration made it seem like The General was going to be this long, dark, brooding epic. I’m still shocked how little of that killer orchestration ended up on the track. 

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I still can’t get over The General being 4 minutes long. And super weird. I dig it but it’s not at all what I had in my head all these years. Beyond Bach’s comments those concert intros with the Beltrami Orchestration made it seem like The General was going to be this long, dark, brooding epic. I’m still shocked how little of that killer orchestration ended up on the track. 

Honestly I think it was probably shortened down at some point, either before Slash got to it or when he and Duff started working on it. 

• PERHAPS 1

4 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Yep, just more disappointment from this band, an it's decision making..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Dang. Even Billy Joel just released a new song that is actually new and not old, vaulted material. 

And the verses don't repeat....he actually wrote words to the song.

And none of the lines were "pussy full of maggots"

• Haha 1