ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I have to say of the non-gnr fans I've played it to it's getting very negative comments.

Not that that really matters though I suppose as they're not fans anyway! 

I'm a fan and I don't like it. The music isn't awful, the singing and lyrics are pretty bad. My wife is a fan and she cringed too.

• Like 2

Glad they finally released something, albeit an old one that didn't make the cut.

But I'd like to think that this will be the start of them dropping a few more maybe? 

Doesn't have to be a big hit single or a crowd pleasing song really, I see it more as a way to appease fans that something is getting released - tie them over until the 'big guns' come out.

But this is GnR, so it could just be a blip on the radar and nothing more for years n' years other than rumors/snippets about how it the release of the song was supposed to be the first step in some grand plan but everyone let them down in the process, labels, executives, etc followed by a lawsuit or two.

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

If people just don't like the song, that's an opinion. But I'm confused on why people think it's bad production or a bad mix? I can hear all the instruments, they all have their space to breath, nothing gets lost in the mix. There isn't just a wall of sound and I can hear Slash's little fills. It's not overly loud. There isn't a million samples, it's mostly, drums, bass, guitar.

It sounds like a poor outdated attempt at trying to sound like Prodigy.. Axl's sampled in Screams are terrible.. That slow part is even worse.. They could have redeemed the slow part by totally re-doing and having Slash add some really cool melodic part.. Maybe even have Axl sing something a little bit audible.. 

Either way it is hard to accept Slash playing riffs written by Bumblehead, Bucketfoot and Finck.. Whoever wrote the shit.. If you can even call that a riff. Axl could could have wrote that crap for all I know.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I have to say of the non-gnr fans I've played it to it's getting very negative comments.

Not that that really matters though I suppose as they're not fans anyway! 

In 2001, I'd say yes.  In 2021 I'm just gonna enjoy my favorite wacky fucking band.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not one of my friends/family have had anything positive feedback on it today.. All of which are fans.

Same mate, all of my friends who are big GNR fans think it sucks. 
It’s brutal but it’s the truth. 
for people who like it, I’m glad, but for the majority, its shit with sprinkles on it and that’s being kind. Lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

It sounds like a poor outdated attempt at trying to sound like Prodigy.. Axl's sampled in Screams are terrible.. That slow part is even worse.. They could have redeemed the slow part by totally re-doing and having Slash add some really cool melodic part.. Maybe even have Axl sing something a little bit audible.. 

Either way it is hard to accept Slash playing riffs written by Bumblehead, Bucketfoot and Finck.. Whoever wrote the shit.. If you can even call that a riff. Axl could could have wrote that crap for all I know.. 

Yeah but it sounds to me more you just don't like the song, rather than having a problem with production or mix. Axl's screams aren't sampling because it's his own singing, it's just an overdub, something Guns has always done a lot of.

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's only one word for it

INCREDIBLE 

I saw it’s currently at #12 on Top Songs chart which isn’t too bad. It is the first day of release though and four other songs also released today are currently ahead of it. Considering the press it’s already gotten I’m not surprised it’s up there today but I guess I was hoping for something more from the first official release of GNR in 13 years and the first Axl/Slash/Duff song in 30 years. 

Hopefully an official new single is close because at best this song will perform like the title track from CD. Not horrible but it’s not really gonna impress anyone either. 

4 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Wish they kept ‘what can I do ?…. With a bitch like you !’ Prob too woke.

I like it - it’s aggressive and a banger

I wonder how much that lyric was in the song anways beyond the couple of performances on '01/'02?  It was not on the Village session version, or the BBF leak either so it may just never have been on the song officially just Axl trying it out live.  Since it is all the same vocal track that line could have never even set foot in a recording studio lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

It's already happening. Local radio station posted it on their Facebook page. It is getting ripped to fucking shreds by general public. 

I hate myself because God dammit it's been stuck in my head all damn day. Slash's parts are really impressive and add to the song and if anything making me more curious as to what he can bring to other new material we've heard without him. I'm just trying to imagine a properly and professionally mixed and mastered Hardschool or Atlas with him. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

It's already happening. Local radio station posted it on their Facebook page. It is getting ripped to fucking shreds by general public. 

I hate myself because God dammit it's been stuck in my head all damn day. Slash's parts are really impressive and add to the song and if anything making me more curious as to what he can bring to other new material we've heard without him. I'm just trying to imagine a properly and professionally mixed and mastered Hardschool or Atlas with him. 

I suppose the problem is that the general public just see SCOM/November Rain and that’s it….so it’s easy to understand people going WTF.

Actual fans will know of My World…his singing on DOTF…..the electronic elements of CD…..and the fact this tune originated from early 2000.

Personally - who cares what anyone thinks…..the band clearly don’t and it’s getting them media attention. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 4

You can't feel indiferent about Absurd, that explains the split opinions. I personally love it, but I think I'd love anything in this scenario of 12 years without new songs from my favorite band. My wife hated it

3 hours ago, fantomas said:

I'm not asking for a rehash of AFD or UYI. I like it when bands evolve. Hell, two of my favorites are Nine Inch Nails and Faith No More, two bands who consistently reinvent themselves.

But Absurd doesn't feel like a reinvention, it's the same thing we've been hearing since 1999. If anything this is more of the same and it's from an era that the vast majority of fans view as a pretty major blip on their record. I like a lot of Chinese Democracy (TWAT, Street and Madagascar are epic) , but there's also a lot of crap on there. Much like UYI 1 and 2. I don't know if you were around in 2001, but Silkworms was crucified, and I mean CRUCIFIED by hardcore and casual fans. It was universally loathed. GnR hasn't had enough studio output to go off the rails so much. If they were putting out an album every two or three years, you could forgive a wobble. or two. God knows most bands have them. Axl treats studio releases almost with contempt. His attitude towards music and fans is the exact reason why the leaks became as popular as they did. Fans desperately wanted new music, myself included. But this desperation overshadowed the quality of the music.

The fact that this is the first new track we've heard since 2008, and that it's a rework of a hated song, shows the band just does not give a fuck. And when the band doesn't give a fuck, it's hard for the fans to. If I were still 18, maybe I'd still be impressed by their fuck you attitude. But I'm not. The music is alright, but the lyrics are infantile and embarrassing. Will I give a new album a chance? Certainly. I won't judge music I haven't heard. I actually really like Hard School. But I want to hear new collaborative ideas. I don't want Slash photoshopped on top of 20 year old songs that are best left forgotten. This isn't progress, this is treading water and Axl is laughing at us.

I experienced silkworms much after 2001 and I wasn't impressed either😄

I think they could have come out much stronger, but it is what is! 

I 100% want to hear music that's from the current members of the band but I also want to hear the older CD material. There is a compromise and I hope they have got to it where there's a mix... but time will tell! 

I’m looking forward to hearing a new studio Hard School but I was just thinking about how stupid/lame that title/lyric is. It doesn’t even sound like something people say. At least in my experience. I can see that becoming a big joke with the general public as well. 

• Like 1