Guns at Glastonbury confirmed

24 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I don’t agree at all.

I saw them last October and Absurd was one of the highlights of the night. It’s a fun short song that is specifically targeted to their hardcore part of the audience. Also the fact that it makes the casual fans there feel uncomfortable makes me chuckle.

And the same goes for Hard Skool. I absolutely despise the studio version (contrary to Absurd that I really like it), but live it’s pretty good. Axl sounds weak, yes, but there’s plenty of unnecessary songs that Axl sounds bad too.

I think we are missing the whole point if we start asking the band to remove from the setlist the songs that they are releasing. I’d prefer if they’d shorten KOHD or RQ (for example) before removing the only two songs that are targeted to fans that actually care about the band moving forward and doing actual band stuff. Even if the songs are mediocre and all.

I'm not a fan of Absurd but it works better as a live song, even though the pre-recorded screams are lame. But Axl consistently sounds strong on it and I hope they keep playing it just for the novelty of seeing them play Silkworms lol.

Axl has always struggled on Hardschool though and he still frequently goes out of time during the outro. It should be replaced with Perhaps. Of the songs we've heard, Perhaps is the only one I think he could consistently sing well live. I wouldn't mind if they replaced it with a deep cut like Pretty Tied Up, either.

And yea, there's no reason for RQ and KOHD to be 10+ minutes long. The extended jams can be tedious, especially KOHD going for 12-15 minutes when they're already 2.5-3 hours into a show...

They really need to replace Better and Slither at this point, too. Better is probably still one of Axl's favourite songs but he can't sing it properly anymore, he's screaming his vocal chords out during the bridge and it just isn't worth the effort.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

My first thought after seeing them announced was the worry at his voice, the state it's in being televised. 

They have 3 options, either don't let it be televised and play their usual set, cut some of the songs he struggles with (won't happen, see their relentless attempts at Hard Skool) or work on his voice (won't happen). 

I keep thinking of him wheezing through Hard Skool, falling out of time towards the end...completely unaware of how bad he sounds. This could be a car crash once the reviews start coming in the next day. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl has always struggled on Hardschool though and he still frequently goes out of time during the outro. It should be replaced with Perhaps

I also think he’d be able to perform Atlas much better than Hard Skool too.

If only they’d, you know, release those tracks!

• Like 1

They’re gonna get shat on for something in the build up. Metallica and U2 did (fox hunting and tex evasion respectively) and cancel culture wasn’t really a thing when those two played. So they should just make the most of it and come out with Out Ta Get Me. Jay-Z starting with Wonderwall into 99 Problems silenced the naysayers fast.

16 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Wish I had a good enough memory to call out all the idiots who went after me for saying glastonbury was a massive deal and that it would get huge media coverage everywhere and be negative if GnR headlined. Then that is exactly what happened. It is so hard being right all the time. GnR aint even headlined yet and its already been the number 1 trend on twitter in the UK and making news outlets all over the word :facepalm: Some bloke in America without a passport and rural europe obviously thought they knew more. You dont. I'm fucking king. Hope you cunts read this and comment so i can remember who you were. 

No one contested bad reviews. But it was claimed GNR would never set foot in the UK anymore after that, it would be over for them. 

I'm only in Belgium and no negative media coverage here about GNR headlining, or even about Glastonbury at all. We have quite a few festivals here announcing new names and they get the media coverage here.

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

They’re gonna get shat on for something in the build up. Metallica and U2 did (fox hunting and tex evasion respectively) and cancel culture wasn’t really a thing when those two played. So they should just make the most of it and come out with Out Ta Get Me. Jay-Z starting with Wonderwall into 99 Problems silenced the naysayers fast.

I hope they do tbh. It's almost like a big fuck you to what Glastonbury, and much of the UK media, has become in recent years. An allegedly & former red neck racist, homophobic white male who beat women to headline one of the most woke festivals in the UK, if not the world. You couldn't make this shit up. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate what Axl was in a lot of aspects of his past private life, but it just goes to show that a) people can change and b) that we haven't canceled every past remnant of the past. I do wonder what their setlist will look like. As mentioned above, ISE has some challenging lyrics for the modern Glastonbury crowd and the BBC. 

Edited by invisible_rose

Axl has taken some pretty strong stance's over the past few years on the pandemic, the war in Ukraine and U.S. national politics. Far stronger than a lot of other 'mainstream' artists. 

People try to take offence at anything these days. If people don't want to see them, don't see them; and if people want to complain for the sake of complaining because of identity politics etc., there's nothing anyone here or in the band can really do.

For what it's worth, GNR as a phenomenon is far bigger than Glastonbury. If I was them, I'd think it was just another large-ish size venue, but nothing out of the ordinary for the band to play. I'd play, take my million pounds in fees, and just fly on to the next venue and wouldn't even think twice about it. 

I can't see them changing their setlist in any way to be honest. And I don't think that they should.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, axl666 said:

Axl has taken some pretty strong stance's over the past few years on the pandemic, the war in Ukraine and U.S. national politics. Far stronger than a lot of other 'mainstream' artists. 

People try to take offence at anything these days. If people don't want to see them, don't see them; and if people want to complain for the sake of complaining because of identity politics etc., there's nothing anyone here or in the band can really do.

For what it's worth, GNR as a phenomenon is far bigger than Glastonbury. If I was them, I'd think it was just another large-ish size venue, but nothing out of the ordinary for the band to play. I'd play, take my million pounds in fees, and just fly on to the next venue and wouldn't even think twice about it. 

I can't see them changing their setlist in any way to be honest. And I don't think that they should.

Thanks Beta!

• Haha 4

Some of you take some things way too seriously.

Guns is playing a headline show.  Some people like it, other's don't. 

There is nothing wrong with either opinion so long as it doesn't affect what you're going to do. 

• Like 2

I mean, what else are they going to do. Give two fucks what some randomers on the internet think, or just play and move on?

They were asked by the organisers to fill in a slot, they filled it in. They're globally renowned entertainers and musicians who have been doing this for close to forty years now. They're going to play, it's going to be successful, and they'll move on and no one will remember this concert in six months time.

On the the reasons for the very strong media commentary (this will be a disaster, this will be yawn inducing etc.) is that cultural sectors of the media have been starved of resources in the UK for a long time. It's cheap and efficient to use clickbait reaction articles to try to drum up attention for the journalists. Not draw attention to music- the journalists.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

Some of you take some things way too seriously.

Guns is playing a headline show.  Some people like it, other's don't. 

There is nothing wrong with either opinion so long as it doesn't affect what you're going to do. 

I think some of these people just can't wait for GNR to be ripped on because of their own hatred towards the band. Which is a real pathetic state of mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, axl666 said:

I mean, what else are they going to do. Give two fucks what some randomers on the internet think, or just play and move on?

They were asked by the organisers to fill in a slot, they filled it in. They're globally renowned entertainers and musicians who have been doing this for close to forty years now. They're going to play, it's going to be successful, and they'll move on and no one will remember this concert in six months time.

On the the reasons for the very strong media commentary (this will be a disaster, this will be yawn inducing etc.) is that cultural sectors of the media have been starved of resources in the UK for a long time. It's cheap and efficient to use clickbait reaction articles to try to drum up attention for the journalists. Not draw attention to music- the journalists.

Could be a proper material for good ol' UYI Axl rant before Double Talkin' Jive.

12 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

'Hatred' is a weird way to put it. This forum was overwhelming positive at the beginning of the reunion and most were glad they finally released some music a couple years ago. When the band is good, people here are positive.

I'd like Axl to go on stage and kill it at Glastonbury, but we all know he's gonna suck on the biggest hits. I wish he'd change the setlist, but it will be more of the same and he's gonna sound like an asphyxiated grandma on Jungle, Better, YCBM, etc.

2016 was a different world. There's lot to criticize about what has happened since then, but lots of people still enjoy going to the shows. But there's a few people here who seem to blatantly hate the band and shit on literally everything. They can do it if it makes them happy, but it's kind of sad. 

I mean, the show is almost 4 months away and we have people victory lapping cause they said GNR would be criticized for their appearance. Wtf

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

The reality probably is that it won't be an all out disaster, nor will it be anything special. It will be yet another show in the endless NITL tour, with the band getting slowly more tired and jaded as the years roll on. 

That's the most likely scenario in my opinion. It won't be very good, won't be yellow raincoat horrific, just the usual setlist, the usual routine, the usual voice. 

That's not really good enough to me, but it seems to work for a lot of people. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Seriously. Who cares though? I think people here either don't remember or are too young to know what was happening to them during the early 90s mediawise

I think the problem is (and I feel it too) the band has a place in our hearts regardless of silly choices they make that frustrate us such as not changing the set list or the lack of new music. An attack on them is unfair, just because of lyrics from 30+ years ago, Axl’s antics in the past, their drug use decades ago. It was a different world then, times change and people change. We know they’re not bad people, and some woke fucks want to as Karice would say, “rag and drag” on crap they actually know nothing about because they’d never give this band a chance in the first place. It almost feels like a completely unfair attack on a family member or a friend, you stand up and defend. So yeah, I care, as others do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The reality probably is that it won't be an all out disaster, nor will it be anything special. It will be yet another show in the endless NITL tour, with the band getting slowly more tired and jaded as the years roll on. 

That's the most likely scenario in my opinion. It won't be very good, won't be yellow raincoat horrific, just the usual setlist, the usual routine, the usual voice. 

That's not really good enough to me, but it seems to work for a lot of people. 

If anywhere deserves a YELLOW RAINCOAT outing surely it's Glastonbury! :P

Add some Hunter Wellies and we have the perfect outfit for Somerset.

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

50 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

An attack on them is unfair, just because of lyrics from 30+ years ago, Axl’s antics in the past, their drug use decades ago. It was a different world then, times change and people change. We know they’re not bad people, and some woke fucks want to as Karice would say, “rag and drag” on crap they actually know nothing about because they’d never give this band a chance in the first place.

You can chose to believe this. 
“It was a different world then”  But its not true…. plenty challenged lots of GNRs behaviour back in the day when the “woke” buzzword wasn’t around. 1989 they were getting shit for OIAM. The misogyny was obvious back then. Don’t look into the past and think everyone was apes back then. I love GnRs music, but they’ve always been at the groupie fucking end of rock. Pussy full of maggots doesn’t offend me, I don’t care, but it’s what’s been written recently, not lyrics from 30 years ago. What you see in a what you get with GnR. Take it or leave it. It’s always been that way. 

23 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

“It was a different world then”  But its not true…. plenty challenged lots of GNRs behaviour back in the day when the “woke” buzzword wasn’t around. 1989 they were getting shit for OIAM. The misogyny was obvious back then. Don’t look into the past and think everyone was apes back then. I love GnRs music, but they’ve always been at the groupie fucking end of rock. Pussy full of maggots doesn’t offend me, I don’t care, but it’s what’s been written recently, not lyrics from 30 years ago. What you see in a what you get with GnR. Take it or leave it. It’s always been that way. 

This is a good point. I'll be a tiny bit pedantic and say that the lyrics for silkworms were actually written closer to thirty years ago than to today (23 years ago? More?). I think they're GNR's worst lyrics. Not sure why they kept them, but might have been something to do with Axl not wanting to record anything new. I actually kind of like the song, but couldn't play it with anyone else around. I have to turn it off when anyone else is in the car and it comes on.

I wonder sometimes actually if they were originally placeholders lyrics that Axl kept as a joke (a joke to him, anyway). Silkworms was on same wavelength as smack my bitch up by the prodigy, and I could see if Axl was experimenting with prodigy sounding music he might have just thrown out some prodigy sounding lyrics. 

There are certain GNR songs that I think probably do need to be forgotten (OIAM/BoB being the immediate ones that come to mind). I wish they didn't have things like the 'fuck you, bitch' scream in RNDTH, as the rest of the lyrics are actually really good.

Axl was obviously kind of a tortured guy and someone consumed with rage, and this drives both the best and the worst in their music and lyrics. I think there's far more good than bad in their body of work, though because of Axl's personality the bad is pretty bad. However while on the one hand he still releases songs like Absurd, on the other hand he releases songs like Madagascar, which is a straight rejection of things like the narrator's perspective in OIAM.

Edited by axl666
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

It was a different world back then… and they (the band) were completely different people back then. I completely agree they got their fare share of criticism back then and backlash over OIAM and rightfully so, lyrically it’s completely unacceptable. What I’m saying is 30+ years later they still gotta be an easy target for a new age “woke” crowd? I also never insinuated people were apes back then, just want to make that clear 😅