Guns at Glastonbury confirmed

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There we go... :lol:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/guns-n-roses-glastonbury-not-represent-2186728

Gun N’ Roses [sic] is everything Glastonbury should not represent

Lizzo and Lana Del Rey are stone-cold superstars – why aren’t they headlining the festival?

[...]

But what a bad look it is to have two of the three headline slots go to thumpingly conventional guitar bands. In the case of Gun N’ Roses, in particular, it’s worth asking whether they would be better suited to the Sunday nostalgia slot. They haven’t released fresh material in decades. And their set – going by their European dates last summer – is essentially one more twirl around the retro maypole.

Gun N’ Roses in 2023 are, in fact, an example of everything Glastonbury shouldn’t represent. When I saw their concert in Dublin last year, I was swept up in head-banging nostalgia. Still, the band – along with everyone in attendance – had two feet in the past. Yawns broke out during the “new” songs from Chinese Democracy (released in November 2008). We only really came alive when the band dipped into Appetite for Destruction, a record that predates the invention of the World Wide Web and the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Nostalgia has its place. Appetite for Destruction is neck-and-neck with Nirvana’s Nevermind for the title of greatest rock album of the past 40 years. Still would the world have ended if Lizzo – whom Glastonbury describes as having “joint headline billing” – had gone on after them on Saturday night?

[...]

Sounds like the writer would fit in round here tbh. This could easily be a post here.

It's hard to disagree with the criticism of GNR being a nostalgia act, sadly. The joint headline billing is just a stunt by Glastonbury to calm people down, and while I've genuinely never heard Lizzo, I'd guess that more of the ticket holding audience would have welcomed Lizzo, or indeed as originally planned Taylor Swift, as headline act. 

We all know there are going to be many, many more articles like this. Seems like an odd decision by GNR to play this gig, unless they're doing it in ignorance, arrogance or just to "tick Glasto off the list". We all know it won't be to promote anything new.

6 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

She’s the 2005 American idol winner, hardly has the same cache as Lana Del Rey 

Well, Underwood has sold more records than Rey (in the US) and got more award nominations. But yeah, it will end now after her career stopping duet with Axl. 

• Like 1

1. It's So Easy

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. Live and Let Die

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Used to Love Her

6. Patience

7. Welcome to the Jungle

8. Slither

9. You're Crazy

10. Slash Solo / Sweet Child O' Mine

11. November Rain

12. Knockin On' Heaven's Door

13. Shadow of Your Love

14. Don't Cry

15. You Ain't The First

16. Estranged

17. Civil War

18. Nightrain

19. Absurd or Hard Skool

20. Paradise City

Something like that (not necessarily in that order) I think would make for a pretty decent "play it safe for the broadcast" set regardless of how Axl sounds on this run. Nearly all of that he could get away with singing in his baritone voice, and songs like Shadow and Nightrain generally sound pretty passable anyways even on the worst of nights.

Edited by James Bond
Had Don't Cry in there twice. I guess they're playing both versions!

10 minutes ago, James Bond said:

1. It's So Easy

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. Live and Let Die

4. Double Talkin' Jive

5. Used to Love Her

6. Patience

7. Welcome to the Jungle

8. Slither

9. You're Crazy

10. Slash Solo / Sweet Child O' Mine

11. November Rain

12. Knockin On' Heaven's Door

13. Shadow of Your Love

14. Don't Cry

15. You Ain't The First

16. Estranged

17. Civil War

18. Nightrain

19. Absurd or Hard Skool

20. Paradise City

Something like that (not necessarily in that order) I think would make for a pretty decent "play it safe for the broadcast" set regardless of how Axl sounds on this run. Nearly all of that he could get away with singing in his baritone voice, and songs like Shadow and Nightrain generally sound pretty passable anyways even on the worst of nights.

Woke UK crowd + certain songs = uproar 🤣

1. It's So Easy (Turn around bitch… objectifying women! well I never!???)

5. Used to Love Her (he had to “kill her?!” And can still hear her complain?!!! Sexist and a sick individual!!)

13. Shadow of Your Love (“you’re as good as dead!!” He is such a woman abuser!!) 

15. You Ain't The First (Objectifying women again, man whore, how dare he!) 

19. Absurd (sorry, a fanny full of what?!!!!) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, invisible_rose said:

Sounds like the writer would fit in round here tbh. This could easily be a post here.

It's hard to disagree with the criticism of GNR being a nostalgia act, sadly. The joint headline billing is just a stunt by Glastonbury to calm people down, and while I've genuinely never heard Lizzo, I'd guess that more of the ticket holding audience would have welcomed Lizzo, or indeed as originally planned Taylor Swift, as headline act. 

We all know there are going to be many, many more articles like this. Seems like an odd decision by GNR to play this gig, unless they're doing it in ignorance, arrogance or just to "tick Glasto off the list". We all know it won't be to promote anything new.

Well, to be fair, Glastonbury has been trying to book GN'R for a while - Emily Eavis stated it in public in 2021.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/guns-n-roses-need-to-play-glastonbury-says-festival-booker-emily-eavis

So it's not like GN'R were eager to play there, it was the other way around. And Emily Eavis now claiming that GN'R was, more or less, a last minute thing (because Taylor Swift didn't make it) doesn't sound very convincing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Fair enough points tbh. Except, Nirvana/Nevermind pales in comparison to GNR/Appetite and Lizzo is fucking horrendous.

Is Glastonbury normally televised??? Oh dear, yeah this is probably gonna be a mess.

I love Angus but if I had to pick between him or Elton to guest I'd go with Elton.

I dont know. Even though I like Elton his voice these days live is absolutely gone. 

He really should have retired from touring years ago.

Angus we have seen plenty of times and probably would just perform rosie again.

I would like a unexpected guest if anything. But what would be even better a original new gnr song (no more covers!) 

5 minutes ago, vloors said:

I dont know. Even though I like Elton his voice these days live is absolutely gone. 

He really should have retired from touring years ago.

Angus we have seen plenty of times and probably would just perform rosie again.

I would like a unexpected guest if anything. But what would be even better a original new gnr song (no more covers!) 

Foo Fighters have a gap during Glasto dates… would be cool!

If they narrow the gig down to only songs with politically correct lyrics that don't rub the woke crowd the wrong way, their set is gonna be a short and sweet 20 minutes, consisting of guitar solos only.

Those social terrorists have no interest in actual democracy, equality, peace or solutions. Their whole concept is based on self righteousness, pointing fingers, inciting guilt, fear, confusion and hate, muzzling everyone not in line with their attempt at world domination and making the lives of others as miserable as possible. They have clear characteristics of fascism - an anti-democratic attitude, censorship and ban on freedom of expression and the persecution of those who think differently.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

If they narrow the gig down to only songs with politically correct lyrics that don't rub the woke crowd the wrong way, their set is gonna be a short and sweet 20 minutes, consisting of guitar solos only.

Hmm... could be Axl's best show in years.

7 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

1. One In A Million

2. Absurd

3. Used To Love Her

4. You Could Be Mine

5. The Seeker

6. Down On The Farm

7. Paradise City w/ another mic throw scandal 

They come back and debut Look at Your Game Girl as an encore.

• Haha 2

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-festival-announces-2023-line-up-3407608

Just read this on the NME…..

”Acknowledging this year’s all-male bill-toppers, Eavis attributed the lack of viable female headliners to an industry “pipeline” problem in an interview with the Guardian.

She explained that Guns N’ Roses were booked after a previously-confirmed female headliner cancelled because she “changed her touring plans”. While she didn’t disclose the act’s name, Eavis said she hoped to secure them within the next five years” 

Edited by Powderfinger

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

This thread has reminded me of a young lad I went to college with. He was utterly convinced GNR would headline Glastonbury in 1995, he had a ticket and went on about it for months. He'll be in his mid forties now - I really hope he has tickets for this year! :lol:

Maybe now he has become " Woke"...:D

• Haha 3