The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

There are limits as to what they can do though. They can't have them imprisoned, can they. They can maybe sue them and take some of their money. But not half a billion, that would, among others, ruin the company's reputation, and I don't think anything like that has ever happened anyway. What I'm saying is I don't buy that concept that they are powerless just because of some decades-old contract and nothing can be done about it these days.

Imprisoned? No. Label limbo? Sure...it happens to plenty of artists 

If the deal in place doesn’t make sense, and both parties want to release something, then they need to renegotiate...No one is going to willingly set themselves up to fail to release a record. Even a GNR record 

That takes time, and things can always go sideways. That doesn’t really bode well for anything happening in the next 6 months if that’s the case. 

Hopefully it’s something more in the vein of release strategy. Whether that’s brand tie ins and roll outs etc...I just wouldn’t expect anything until at least Summer if those issues haven’t been ironed out as of yet 

Edited by guitarpatch

15 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I read an interview with Slash. He said they have music recorded, but not sure what to do with it? I guess since tons of people stream music now instead of buying cds they don't know how they should release it.

I say release it as a new album. I definitely will buy it. I still have cds in my car that I listen to. Also my brother has every GNR album since the beginning, so I'm sure he would buy a new vinyl if it was released.

I think if there's new music it has to get out to the fans some way or another.

I know, that just hit me too, music recorded.  Is that the first time anybody admitted they had recorded stuff?  He just rock start cooled through that little fact.  I'm out of my chair with excitement.  It's really happening.

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

No, maybe bands play songs live then put them out a few months or weeks later. 

I mean we might be in a situation where they play a track and it still doesn't come out for years. Classic gnr style. We'd be sick of the song by the time it comes out. I want genuine new stuff this time. It's just not gonna happen. 

How can we be sick of it when a team of fascists are having YT clips removed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

They are still with UMG. So yes. We just don’t know the specifics of the contract. I’m sure it’s been changed countless times over the years 

This is the thing - what exactly is the contract stipulating? Of all the things that have leaked I’m amazed info around the contract hasn’t.

42 minutes ago, WayTooManyOstriches said:

I'm sad to hear Guns N Roses' Slash isn't sure what to do with new material. Maybe he can ask that guy in a top hat that released three albums of new songs with Myles Kennedy what he thinks they should do with it.

He did ask "Myles Slash" and he told him to keep his mouth shut and keep raking in the dough.

2 hours ago, Nightrain7 said:

Argghh

Release a single, announce a world tour. With every ticket purchased you get a digital copy of the album. Do an interview (Axl) ! 

Yet another proven tactic that's been around since Prince did it over 15 years ago. 

The fact is, if you want to release new music, it's very easy. If you don't want to release new music, it's very easy to come up with excuses. 

• Like 3

Slash being nice man 

he has never been able to Control Axl 

No Doubt Slash has written a albums worth of material for the new GNR Record 

Its the same thing over and over just like 1987 to 1995 - Slash makes records with other artists while waiting on Axl 

Good 4 u Slash for  caring about the bands fans and trying - u can’t do it all man 

Axl has always been mental - And now the Mofo can’t sing - it’s embarrassing 

Slash keep working man and can’t wait to hear the New SMKC Album 

Ty Slash for the 4 badass gigs I attended of the NITL tour - You are the show man - Ty 

ps - Axl get ur shit together 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

It is frustrating that so many of us are basically telling GNR how to get money out of our wallets and they essentially are like "nah fam its all good" lol.  Nevermind the fact that it must be pleasing as an artist to create and release new art every now and then

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The more I think about that Slash interview, granted he is paraphrasing... 

He is basically saying, albums are pointless these days (despite releasing multiple albums himself). He is really being put on the spot in the interview and consequentially producing a load of contradictory twaddle. It is almost as embarrassing as Prince Andrew. I can only assume that Slash (and probably Duff) went through this process of submitting ideas for an album - or even just raising the ''prospect'' of a new album - hence the initial burst of enthusiasm on that front, but have subsequently been rejected by Rose. Remember Ashba and his ''10 demos''? He sounded enthusiastic, didn't he?

Everyone who has had any enterprise and initiative on a new album soon hits a brick wall. Rose just isn't interested. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Spelling
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The more I think about that Slash interview, granted he is paraphrasing... 

He is basically saying, albums are pointless these days (despite releasing multiple albums himself). He is really being put on the spot in the interview and consequentially producing a load of contradictory twaddle. It is almost as embarrassing as Prince Andrew. I can only assume that Slash (and probably Duff) went through this process of submitting ideas for an album - or even just raising the ''prospect'' of a new album - hence the initial burst of enthusiasmon that front, but have subsequently been rejected by Rose. Remember Ashba and his ''10 demos''? He sounded enthusiastic, didn't he?

Everyone who has had any enterprise and initiative on a new album soon hits a brick wall. Rose just isn't interested. 

The thing is, does Axl really want to go out on Chinese Democracy? It's my least favorite album, but I'm not even saying that to bash on the songs. From the point of view of the band's legacy in the eyes of the rock world and public at large, CD isn't well regarded. At least put out something a little more classic GNR-sounding with Slash and Duff as your final album. It will probably never rise to the AFD level, but I don't see how Axl is comfortable ending his musical output with CD. 

35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is really being put on the spot in the interview and consequentially producing a load of contradictory twaddle.

No defense. Slash should know people are gonna ask about a new Guns record, and he should have a standard, generic response that actually makes sense. Rather than speaking nonsense.

23 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

From the point of view of the band's legacy in the eyes of the rock world and public at large, CD isn't well regarded. 

I disagree. At least critically, the album got a significant amount of praise. Many people who disparage Chinese Democracy just never gave it a real shot.

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

No defense. Slash should know people are gonna ask about a new Guns record, and he should have a standard, generic response that actually makes sense. Rather than speaking nonsense.

I disagree. At least critically, the album got a significant amount of praise. Many people who disparage Chinese Democracy just never gave it a real shot.

I am not making excuses. I just think nobody, and certainly not Rose, is willing to basically do a Billy Idol and say adamantly, ''I am not interested in releasing a new album'' so the subsequent statements, whether it be Fortus, Ashba or (now Slash), are fudgey.

22 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Musically no. I meant how vocal slash is when providing updates. I know SMKC isnt everyones cup of tea, but hes able to feel confident with saying whats going on. Able to give dates etc without having to be careful with his words because somone in the band might be annoyed if they read the interview.

Even going back to interviews pre 93 i dont think he was this coy.

I'm not even saying musically. Think about the size of SMKC compared to GNR. GNR is a global brand that has  influenced people. SMKC is small and doesn't have that same market appeal. Slash can freely give updates since there are not these heavy expectations. GNR has very heavy expectations with different stakeholders. 

Also pre93 interviews didn't have the internet, which today does. Even back then things spread like wildfire  and were twisted. I think a very big issue pre 93 was how candid members of GNR were. Words got twisted as a result. Slash was different back then due to partying and not enough experience. I think when Axl and Slash talked privately before reuniting, they discussed how to react to the media. 

my guess is that they things may have gone the 1995 route..... all sick of each other, creative differences, and trying to figure out how to work with eachother.  concerts are probably the easiest thing for them considering they dont have to see eachother until soundcheck (assuming everyone shows up) and then go out to play songs which are at a minimum a decade old.  but having those egos finding a way to write something new that their collective names will be on and scrutinized to no end....  idk.  seems like a stressful environment that might not be so easy to get along in.   this is GNR after all

I mean, the quotes from Slashs interviews have a very 1996 type of feel to them.  "yeah everything's cool blah blah blah".... and then they break up.   certainly not what I'm hoping for 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Latest Conspirators album must have tanked if Slash is doubting releasing albums now.

the last album was a dud compared to the previous ones. 

Myles just sounded very bored and generic. The lyrics were bland.

Instrumentally it was good though.

• Like 3