North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

12 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Open with One In A Million and close with Silkworms. 

The above is as likely as their setlist being notably different from the last show.

I always pictured My World as the opener leading into One in a Million then Scraped 😄

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They covered it a few times in 1988-89 and 2014

My first GNR concert was the show they played this in 2014, and 7 years and 4 NITL shows later it still stands out as a highlight for me. Don’t think I ever heard the song before that night but I was really impressed with Axl’s performance. We definitely need more songs where he can rock out with his natural voice added to the set

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's several songs he could sound good on, if he properly rehearsed them.

It won't happen, but it'd be great if they dropped these songs:

Better, Live And Let Die, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Shadow Of Your Love, Civil War, Black Hole Sun, Don't Cry

and replaced them with:

Pretty Tied Up, Hardschool, Bad Obsession, Down On The Farm, You Ain't The First, The Garden, Marseilles, Don't Cry (Alt lyrics)

Down on the farm is ok as long as he drops the naff English accent🤣 not familiar with marseilles (maybe that's a bad sign for anyone wanting to hear it).

I don't SOYL needs replacing, vocally he can do it, it's just a timing thing mainly. I'd love if he figured out the rhythm bit like you said he just doesn't seem bothered. This song could be interchanged with other fast rockers from afd and uyi though with ease. 

LALD is also almost always passable and it pips the crowd so I'd vote to keep it. At the very least for the colder climate gigs.

Civil war is passable in my book too. The rest need to go though. Go or be worked on extensively, not just by Axl either. Band sound bad on a few of those songs like Better and RQ. 

I also hope they bring the tempos back to Chinese Democracy touring speeds. Definitely not happening but the band would sound so much better. I think they think they won't sound dangerous if it's polished... that's BS. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Down on the farm is ok as long as he drops the naff English accent🤣 not familiar with marseilles (maybe that's a bad sign for anyone wanting to hear it).

I don't SOYL needs replacing, vocally he can do it, it's just a timing thing mainly. I'd love if he figured out the rhythm bit like you said he just doesn't seem bothered. This song could be interchanged with other fast rockers from afd and uyi though with ease. 

LALD is also almost always passable and it pips the crowd so I'd vote to keep it. At the very least for the colder climate gigs.

Civil war is passable in my book too. The rest need to go though. Go or be worked on extensively, not just by Axl either. Band sound bad on a few of those songs like Better and RQ. 

I also hope they bring the tempos back to Chinese Democracy touring speeds. Definitely not happening but the band would sound so much better. I think they think they won't sound dangerous if it's polished... that's BS. 

Down On The Farm was good in 2006, and he could probably still sing it well. There's some live videos of Marseilles from the Vegas 2014 shows on youtube, it's kinda similar to Bad Obsession or The Seeker vocally, and it's just a fun simple rocker.

SOYL, LALD, Civil War, YCBM could be alternates but if there's any songs that could be replaced, those are some of them. Better should have been dropped around the same time as TIL, or earlier.

As far as "must play" songs I'd say there's WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Nov Rain, and KOHD. Throw in those songs I mentioned earlier and obviously keep songs like Mr Brownstone, It's So Easy, DTJ, Nightrain, Patience etc. and they could do a 2.5~ hour show that sounds great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Down On The Farm was good in 2006, and he could probably still sing it well. There's some live videos of Marseilles from the Vegas 2014 shows on youtube, it's kinda similar to Bad Obsession or The Seeker vocally, and it's just a fun simple rocker.

SOYL, LALD, Civil War, YCBM could be alternates but if there's any songs that could be replaced, those are some of them. Better should have been dropped around the same time as TIL, or earlier.

As far as "must play" songs I'd say there's WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Nov Rain, and KOHD. Throw in those songs I mentioned earlier and obviously keep songs like Mr Brownstone, It's So Easy, DTJ, Nightrain, Patience etc. and they could do a 2.5~ hour show that sounds great.

yeah I'd agree with the must haves. And 100% better should have been dropped from about mid 2017 onwards, seems to have lost those high notes or maybe just the skill to deliver them. A further lesson for Axl to not record vocals that are crazy difficult to reproduce live. 

I'd include Estranged in the must play category too, although it's less famous than the other 5.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

yeah I'd agree with the must haves. And 100% better should have been dropped from about mid 2017 onwards, seems to have lost those high notes or maybe just the skill to deliver them. A further lesson for Axl to not record vocals that are crazy difficult to reproduce live. 

I'd include Estranged in the must play category too, although it's less famous than the other 5.

Better needs to be either dropped or reworked.  It's a shame because that new intro is so fire.  But axl just can't pull off the verses anymore, which is weird because when you listen to the recording it sounds like Axl is using a deeper voice but he just can't pull off that rasp anymore.  Its definitely one of their weaker songs.  

I wouldn't mind seeing them try shackler's revenge with Axl doing the low parts and Melissa doing the high parts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

There are major setlist corrections that can be made without actually removing or adding songs. 

Here's some extremely simple changes GN'R could make without touching the actual list of songs:

Not have Rocket Queen be 20 minutes in length

Not have Knockin' On Heaven's Door be 20 minutes in length

Change the order, every night. Open with a different song eveery night, then play whatever song in any order after that until you hit Paradise City 

Those 3 things alone would go such a long way to fix the show. 

In my case, the set list is just the tip of the iceberg. There's been many things that I can't deal with. For example the stupid youtube war. People from this forum have been hit hard. They want us to buy silly merch and children books. If they post something in social media is about politics or some BS. We never get proper interviews and not much information. We get news from Susan McKagan? Really? I don't think they should handle things that way. And don't get me started with management  :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I'm not buying expensive tickets if everything remains the same. I don't care if they open with Get In The Ring and RQ last just 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's several songs he could sound good on, if he properly rehearsed them.

It won't happen, but it'd be great if they dropped these songs:

Better, Live And Let Die, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Shadow Of Your Love, Civil War, Black Hole Sun, Don't Cry

and replaced them with:

Pretty Tied Up, Hardschool, Bad Obsession, Down On The Farm, You Ain't The First, The Garden, Marseilles, Don't Cry (Alt lyrics)

Every time they come down to Australia, i hope they do Marseilles, but all we get is Nice Boys (which is good, but i prefer The Angels over Rose Tattoo).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Every time they come down to Australia, i hope they do Marseilles, but all we get is Nice Boys (which is good, but i prefer The Angels over Rose Tattoo).

Same here, Marseilles is a fantastic song. Axl does a great job of Nice Boys but there are so many other Rose Tattoo, The Angels or AC/DC songs that Axl would know well enough to change it up a bit. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

One more thing:

For many of us, GN'R was absolutely our favorite band for years, sometimes decades. We're not the ones that put GN'R in the state they're in today. 

Most or all of what's perceived as negativity is actually just disappointment and disbelief that a band that could have been so great has end up so poorly. 

100%

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

The three plus hour shows were fun while it lasted, but I'd be all for them trimming the fat. So much of that is just extended jams and solos anyways. I think chopping it to two and a half hours with a refined set list could help strengthen the set and the pace of the show.

I would agree that the big three from AFD plus NR are the only true "must play" songs and the rest could be changed up every night. Axl's voice not feeling up to YCBM? No problem - swap in Bad Obsession.

Stuff like that would go a long way to at least make the show "feel" different in the absence of new music. Plus, adding more songs like Pretty Tied Up that fit Axl's current vocals would help ensure he can give it his all the big guns like Jungle and Paradise City. I think there'd be far less complaints about his vocals and the shows would be stronger.

I'd even take advantage of the fact that Melissa is there. Have her and Duff back up Axl any time he needs to slip into Mickey, either with gang vocals or like how Duff supports him on Slither. Again - small changes that would improve upon the overall show and sound.

Yeah that's a great idea. Just change it up a bit so it feels less like they're on autopilot.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

In my case, the set list is just the tip of the iceberg. There's been many things that I can't deal with. For example the stupid youtube war. People from this forum have been hit hard. They want us to buy silly merch and children books. If they post something in social media is about politics or some BS. We never get proper interviews and not much information. We get news from Susan McKagan? Really? I don't think they should handle things that way. And don't get me started with management  :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I'm not buying expensive tickets if everything remains the same. I don't care if they open with Get In The Ring and RQ last just 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes.

Same, that does put everything in a bad light.

And as said earlier everything would sound better if they slowed some of the songs down.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Same, that does put everything in a bad light.

And as said earlier everything would sound better if they slowed some of the songs down.

They are all alive and well. I'm happy about that. That doesn't change the fact and I'm disappointed with many things that have been taking place not just now.  But also many things that took place after their last show in 1993

I'm not asking them to be Disneyland. But sure they could do better in all areas not only with the set list

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Padme said:

I totally agree on all of those points. Whether a very few people on here want to admit it or not, GN'R and their management have made it clear that they only care about one thing: money from casual fans and shitty merch. 

The easy setlist fixes would be enough to at least get me to go from never giving GN'R money to finding a deal on upper deck tickets. I've still got massive problems with everything else to do with GN'R though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

I think the version they do now though is was too long especially the intro 

I agree with that. I think that's Slash's fault for that. He does the same thing for SMKC as well with RQ. It doesn't need to be a 15 minute song. 

56 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Hopefully Axl's 2021 comeback will be better than Vince Neil's. 

I actually agree with you on this. That Vince Neil video was rough to watch. 

• Like 1

The difference between Vince Neil and Axl Rose is that Vince has always sounded like shit. Even in his and Crues prime, Vince was never a great live vocalist. 

Axl on the other hand, has and can continue to sound incredible live when he chooses to give a shit 

• Like 1

Vince has also become a bit of a meme because if it. Even the diehard Crue fans have at him - look no further than the comments at any Vince video, especially the hilariously edited "misheard lyrics" ones.

With Axl it's more disappointing than anything because we know he is capable of so much more.

As a side note, it's kind of funny to think that DJ Ashba had a huge hand in Saints of Los Angeles. There was a brief a period of time where we might have received the equivalent to that under the GNR name.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:43 PM, Sweersa said:

I don't enjoy standing at concerts for long periods either, I'd rather be comfortable, and listening to my favorite band that way, like seeing a highly anticipated movie at the theatre. 

Do you get mad when people in front of you are standing the entire time though? Because I don't sit at all during concerts. And when others are all sitting, it sort of ruins the energy. Especially when you can hear people chattering throughout the entire show. I much prefer being as close as possible because of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Vince has also become a bit of a meme because if it. Even the diehard Crue fans have at him - look no further than the comments at any Vince video, especially the hilariously edited "misheard lyrics" ones.

With Axl it's more disappointing than anything because we know he is capable of so much more.

As a side note, it's kind of funny to think that DJ Ashba had a huge hand in Saints of Los Angeles. There was a brief a period of time where we might have received the equivalent to that under the GNR name.

I remember hearing saints of Los Angeles and was so disappointed in them. Absolutely no grit, or what I liked about Motley. I consider it a near miss😄

20 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Open with One In A Million and close with Silkworms. 

The above is as likely as their setlist being notably different from the last show.

I doubt One in a Million will ever be played again.  I know it may sound racist, but it's not that this hasn't or doesn't happen to this day, especially after 9/ll and now after covid with the Asian Americans. I do love the chorus though.

GNR will probably always end with Paradise City. That song rocks live!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I remember hearing saints of Los Angeles and was so disappointed in them. Absolutely no grit, or what I liked about Motley. I consider it a near miss😄

both Mick and Tommy save the Crue. I've seen them so many times and each time Vince gets worse and worse. He's overweight and drinks way too much. When their latest tour was announced Vince said he would get in better shape because a stadium tour takes a lot more energy to pull off. It's been 2 years and from the pictures I've seen of Vince he hasn't done a thing to better himself. By the time the Crue concert does happen next year will he still be fucked up. This guy can get a personal trainer and eat better, but I guess he figures Crue fans will show. Yeah, true, but if he can't pull off this tour, we will be disappointed yet again.

I am getting a refund for the postponed show next year and put it towards my GNR tickets. No one comes before GNR for me.

If I see Vince trying to get in shape by next year, I'll see if I want to see this concert.  I know getting older sucks, but you are a professtional singer in an amazing rock band, so put up or don't embarass your self and the band.

And even if Axl doesn't sound like he did when he was younger, the guy gives 110% and still rocks on stage. He's a professional singer and amazing frontman no matter what. At least Axl puts in the effort and doesn't point the mic towards the crowd half way through a song like Vince does. 

• Like 4