Favorite Studio Performance by Axl

What is your favorite studio vocal performance by Axl?  Must be the whole song, not just a line or two.

For me it's One in a Million.  That song has the perfect blend of my favorite Axl attributes:

• The patented drawn out words like "starraarr" or "make us cryyiayy"
  • The perfect balance of rasp and phlegm, especially in the line "they come to our country, and think they'll do as they please"
  •  The power is clean but raspy/rough/phlegmy all at the same time
  • Shows off his incredible range between baritone and screeching 
  • The attitude.  Right or wrong, the attitude and swagger in the song can't be matched (Ok, maybe ISE matches/exceeds, but still...)
  • Like 3

Not being able to round it down here are a few I have in mind:

Rocket Queen - To me the groovy rocker turned ballad is pure genius and shows off Axl's versatility with his upper register

YCBM (Live Era) - I count this because Axl technically did do most of this in the studio considering it is a vocal overdub haha (the only part that isn't is the last bit after the guitar solo).  Axl's late 90s voice adds this cool darker vibe to the song which I absolutely love.  It is an odd pick I admit, but his voice sounds so cool here and I wish late 90s Axl got to shine live with this voice

You're Crazy (Lies) - low and high register being showed off here and just kicks ass.  Both aggressive and laid back at the same time

Coma - what else can I say, the last couple of minutes are just the pinnacle of what epic rock music is all about and Axl just slays here

There Was A Time - those screams during the guitar solo just are mindblowingly awesome

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

There Was A Time is basically him showing off “hey this is my range, fuck you all!”

I feel this way about some stuff on CD. The Better bridge, the part in Shacklers after the solo, Scraped intro an other parts sound like Axl just wanted to show the world that he still „got it“, which harms the music a little

Not a huge fan of Civil War - but used to always love putting on UYI2 and hearing ‘my hands are tied’. It’s that exact moment you know the album has kicked off.

’So many seem so lonely with no one left to cry to’  Don’t Cry alt lyrics

‘Love’s so Strange’ Locomotive outro 

Entire Coma outro

to name a few !

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Sympathy For The Devil

That one shocked me! I always thought he made the song sound like a bad parody.

One In a Million was the first to come to mind but You're Crazy from LIES is right up behind it.  I actually think he knocks it out of the park on the whole LIES album. He was untouchable back then. Can't go wrong on anything from Appetite either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That one shocked me! I always thought he made the song sound like a bad parody.

One In a Million was the first to come to mind but You're Crazy from LIES is right up behind it.  I actually think he knocks it out of the park on the whole LIES album. He was untouchable back then. Can't go wrong on anything from Appetite either.

He definitely "over-sang" it, but that's what I like about it. He basically abandoned the original version, and did a completely over-the-top Axl version. :axl92:

There's so many...I would say my favorite must be Civil War, Estranged, Coma and You're Crazy (Lies)...

But I think Axl in studio is absolutely perfect almost everytime...I mean, we can discuss some Chinese for those who dislike that clean style, but damn, he must be one of the if not the most talented singer alive and maybe ever.

• Thanks 1