09/29/21 - Raleigh, NC - PNC Arena

Powerage5

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

That’s a little different. Axl gets some slack because as a singer it’s hard to control his vocal performance. It was hard to do in his 20s let alone @60. Slash can certainly put the extra work in

Haha you’re full of it on this. Slash can put the extra work in but Axl gets slack…the dude can’t even be bothered to put the normal amount of work in to attend rehearsals. Tour after tour, year after year, the guy comparatively sounds like crap for paying customers at the beginning shows because he can’t be bothered to get in proper singing shape beforehand.   

D9C29BF2-E750-484E-9249-A6B62FB8CFB7.gif

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, agustingloger said:

Yeah but if You've been drinking the same beer for five years now You should know by now. If You think is shit and You still drink it it's weird to complain about the same thing over and over. We all know by now Slash doesn't play like the record and complaining every solo he plays its kind of dumb

It's the same beer that you kinda love and hate. 

Nobody here complains every show about Slash solos on Chinese material, that would be stupid. Sometimes though you hear something and you think it's kinda shit so you say so... what is the issue saying you didn't enjoy it? It's not just because it's not a replica of the studio, it's that it's not good and in certain cases undermines the rhythm of the rest of the underneath rhythm or the vocal.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Haha you’re full of it on this. Slash can put the extra work in but Axl gets slack…the dude can’t even be bothered to put the normal amount of work in to attend rehearsals. Tour after tour, year after year, the guy comparatively sounds like crap for paying customers at the beginning shows because he can’t be bothered to get in proper singing shape beforehand.   

D9C29BF2-E750-484E-9249-A6B62FB8CFB7.gif

I don’t disagree but it’s definitely harder on the singer 

If the voice ain't there, it's just not coming back at his age to what it once was.

But it will work for them as long as people keep paying for tickets. And the only people that will complain are from this forum, which make up maybe 7/10 seats out of the whole audience at any given venue.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Compare the live performances of TWAT and Madagascar. Richard has a much better feeling for those guitar solos. 

I am in the minority it seems, but I always have dug Slash's take on TWAT and even TIL the majority of the solos I heard him do over the years on that one.  When I saw TWAT in San Diego back in 2016 I thought he did a good job of giving it the Slash vibe while still emoting and doing some of the licks from the original

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

That sounds exactly like an opinion. If someone digs Bumblefoot's original solo and is disappointed that Slash doesn't play it that way - that's indeed just an opinion. It's not mindless negativity just because you disagree with it.

This is a forum filled with die hard Guns N' Roses fans who are going to have all kinds of opinions. Some people think the band was at its creative peak with Buckethead while others think the band is nothing without Slash. Some love Chinese Democracy and some don't. Welcome to the real world. No use in getting upset every time you don't agree with someone on something. Discuss it and/or move on.

You're honestly doing more complaining than the people you are complaining about.

You are probably right 

the timing mishap be damned (actually sounded cool to me!), HUGE improvement from Axl on Hard Skool in Raleigh.

The choruses sound great and the verses sound just fine. His mistiming the last few choruses reminded me of the way he mistimed OMG at Rio 2001. Very cool.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I am in the minority it seems, but I always have dug Slash's take on TWAT and even TIL the majority of the solos I heard him do over the years on that one.  When I saw TWAT in San Diego back in 2016 I thought he did a good job of giving it the Slash vibe while still emoting and doing some of the licks from the original

Based on the Selects his takes on TWAT, Sorry and TIL are far more than just noodling in my ears. I mean, he's Slash. Why should he bother to sound like anybody else, when he's already got a recognizable style and sound. And that's what he did here, he kept what he liked and replaced other parts, but he gave it the Slash vibe all around. Good work. I still think Finck's studio take on Better is magic and should be played as it appears on CD.

I've learned not to judge solos from bad recordings but what I heard on Catcher is pretty meh. Maybe that's because I don't like the song at all.

I was extremely forgiving on Axl's performance of Hard Skool in Baltimore and was just so stoked they finally played it. I also didn't think Axl was nearly as bad as a lot of people were making it out to be. This performance in Raleigh was extremely bad. It seriously blows my mind that people saw it as an improvement. Axl sounded much worse and the timing issue in the last quarter was absolutely atrocious. Axl desperately needs to rehearse it.

• Like 3

I don't mind Slash doing his thing with the solos, but I think he should write one that sounds good and has a bit of melody in it. Most of the times on CD songs it's like he has no idea what to do the second before the solo. And it's like he's never playing the same thing twice. It ruins the songs a bit IMO.

Edited by NicoRourke
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, NicoRourke said:

I don't mind Slash doing his thing with the solos, but I think he should write one that sounds good and has a bit of melody in it. Most of the times on CD songs it's like he has no idea what to do the second before the solo. And it's like he's never playing the same thing twice. It ruins the songs a bit IMO.

It's called "not giving a shit."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It's called "not giving a shit."

why does he should  give a shit?

99% of the people attending  do not go to see CD songs, most of the fans crying about Slash playing, are those same saying the band sounded great 2001-14 etc.  01-07 was a fucking  mess (imo)  songs didn't  sound right. ( i don't  wanna talk about Finck playing)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

why does he should  give a shit?

Because he is a professional musician. The same Axl should give a shit and not take half a tour to start to sound decent, maybe slash could learn or write some solos like he did for better.

btw finck is awesome

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

did Bumble give a shit when he performed 14 years?

1 song, likely added to the set as a last minute addition, during a long tenure with the band.

Slash has had 5yrs to come up with something memorable and structured for the CD songs. The only song he's bothered doing that for is Better. He sucks the life out of the rest of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

Because he is a professional musician. The same Axl should give a shit and not take half a tour to start to sound decent, maybe slash could learn or write some solos like he did for better.

btw finck is awesome

now we are talking about professional  musicians? I remember the "awesome" guy  butchering the songs that made the band famous, or bucket ( he is awesome) not playing the same solo twice,  then people complaining that  ashba couldn't  play finck solos ( double standards)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

1 song, likely added to the set as a last minute addition, during a long tenure with the band.

Slash has had 5yrs to come up with something memorable and structured for the CD songs. The only song he's bothered doing that for is Better. He sucks the life out of the rest of them.

when was the last time this lineup performed Catcher though? wasn't it like 2017? 4 years ago. Watching other performances of Catcher with Slash, he never sounded like this before imo. In this show he ruined the whole thing for me, he butchered it, it's true but did a pretty good job on the other Chinese tracks imo.

not sure what you expect of Slash. If you think he'll sit down and learn the shit until he gets it right or take the time to compose a brand new solo for every Chinese track, than you're not taking into consideration his priorities and goals as a musician.

it's like expecting Axl to be as professional as Myles. It's not going to happen. Instead, it's more likely that Slash prefers to bring his approach to it and yes, it does involve hard work and many rehearsals before a tour. He shreds in his own songs as well and improvisation is where he's at much of the time when he plays live. It's nothing new.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1