I think they should keep that spot in the set used for Absurd for stuff from the alts list and either rotate them for each gig as a surprise OR get fans involved at the gig and vote between a choice of stuff from the alt list (get OMG on that alt list PRONTO)!

Bands have done that in the past and this would be pretty cool IMO. Vote by mobile etc.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ifdworld said:

He still says absurd in the last leak, exactly like he did here. All slash did was play the guitar leads in his own style, but they didn't change anything from that leak that bumble worked on

It really depends on what you mean by change I suppose. I went back and took a listen to the Bumble demo and I think there's more changes than it seems.

The short guitar interlude not played by Ron during the choruses of the Bumble leak has been completely removed and replaced by new Slash solos. Fortus plays two solos where the original ones played by Ron were. As I mentioned before, Slash also plays a new variation of the chorus riff behind Fortus playing the original riff. Slash's new solo at the end could simply be a re-interpretation of what was originally played by Buckethead in the right channel of the Bumble leak. To top it all off, Duff added new backing vocals during the chorus.

The new version is absolutely based on the demo Ron played on top of, but I wouldn't say Slash re-interpreted Ron's parts at all. If anything, Fortus is the one who is replacing Ron's parts.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 1

I've always had a soft spot for Silkworms, it's got that dark industrial sound I wish we'd heard more of on CD.

Given the subject matter and heavy sound I've always viewed it as the ISE of the CD era, that same heavy metal meets punk sound.

The changes are certainly interesting, not sure how I feel about the new chorus (think it will sound better with effects on the album) but again it's a 'different' type of chorus for GNR so I'm happy.

All in all I love that it's something new and brings a bit of heavy punch to the show.

Though it certainly won't sit well with the classic rock crowd.

Edited by GNR_RNR

58 minutes ago, siraddam said:

I thought it sounded awesome with Slash's guitar work on it. It really elevated it to another level. I'm starting to hope that there may actually be an album this year.

I agree, and you still have Fortus doing the Buckethead/Bumblefoot stuff. Just being more guitar centered makes it better imo, bonus points if there's Slash too.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Idk i think GNR are quite the trolls. Fans wanted new music even if it was old. Well you got it - a reworked Silkworms :lol:

Someone pointed this out the me earlier but the fact that Slash was wearing a KFC related shirt is all you need to know about whether or not this is a GN'R troll job. 

I'm convinced it is. Not only is it a troll job, but it's a damn fine one at that

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I hope this was a joke for us diehard fans who have been demanding ANYTHING newish

I'm convinced it was. They've been doing market research pre-tour by reading this forum, methinks.

Axl heard them out on tempos and stuff, but when talks shifted to new songs, a malevolent grin appeared on his face.

• Like 2

Checked the set list late last night. Found the video and was actually watching/listening to GNR perform a new-ish song as the clock struck midnight and my birthday officially arrived. Say what you will about the lyrics (and you have!), it was still a nice and unexpected birthday surprise. Yes, it's all about me!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, denin said:

I'm convinced it was. They've been doing market research pre-tour by reading this forum, methinks.

Axl heard them out on tempos and stuff, but when talks shifted to new songs, a malevolent grin appeared on his face.

And to add to that, there is a hint of humour in Axl's performance of the song. Sometimes it looks as if he is having a little too much fun as he belts out "Absurd! Absurd" in that weird voice that comes from god know where inside him.

55 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I think they should keep that spot in the set used for Absurd for stuff from the alts list and either rotate them for each gig as a surprise OR get fans involved at the gig and vote between a choice of stuff from the alt list (get OMG on that alt list PRONTO)!

Bands have done that in the past and this would be pretty cool IMO. Vote by mobile etc.

Metallica comes to mind when taking about fan voting for setlists. The Frayed Ends of Sanity was played live in full in 2014 for  the first time due to this. 

If they play Absurd again it'll be a missed opportunity if Axl doesn't present it with; "Listen motherfuckers to a song that should be heard".

Edited by mystery

15 minutes ago, Locke said:

Checked the set list late last night. Found the video and was actually watching/listening to GNR perform a new-ish song as the clock struck midnight and my birthday officially arrived. Say what you will about the lyrics (and you have!), it was still a nice and unexpected birthday surprise. Yes, it's all about me!

Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

If I had to rank all the versions of Silkworms from best to worst it’d be:

1.Evader’s version

2.Absurd

3.Village demo

4.BBF version (I know it’s similar to the current version but not “punky” enough imo)

5.HOB

6.Rio (I know people love this version but he was super out of breath there)

never heard imsorry’s version

Edited by rocknroll41

Listening to the RIR 2001 it honestly never dawned on me how much Axl's lower register has changed these last 20 years too - it is hard to explain but at times it sounds just so different even compared to any rendition of Silkworms before

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Listening to the RIR 2001 it honestly never dawned on me how much Axl's lower register has changed these last 20 years too - it is hard to explain but at times it sounds just so different even compared to any rendition of Silkworms before

Axl's voice in general including his speaking voice has changed a lot. It's way less deep since he started performing again in 2001. There's an unintentional ASMR channel on YouTube that has a 1991 interview with him where his voice is deep and actually somewhat soothing

• Like 2