Is there anyone who likes Riad N` The Bedouins?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

There were a lot of cool live intros back then too. The live intro to Scraped (in 2009?) was 100 times better than the intro on the album. 

Scraped is the only song that benefited from a longer intro. They used to do some cool extended jams in Catcher and If The World, too.

As for Rhiad... it was never one of the best CD songs, but the Village demos (especially with Josh on drums) sound much better than the final version.

2 hours ago, kever20 said:

I don't dislike it.

Funny story: on Pandora yesterday, Scraped popped up randomly, but the app had it listed as Rhiad. I've never seen a mistake like that on Pandora.

I feel like this would only happen to a song on this album

• GNFNR 1

i've been on a little Rhiad binge lately. Like many said before, the lyrics are very bland but at the same time they ARE fun to sing along.. wish there were better performances of Axl with the 2001ish band, IMO the song fit perfectly to the sound and style of the lineup back then. 

I like the song but I think it's one of the weakest on Chinese along with Scraped and If The World. The problem with Riad is that it's just a mishmash of so many layers that the quality of the song gets lost in all the indistinguishable sounds.

On 5/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, RussTCB said:

I *hated* Riad the first time I heard it, which happened to be in concert. They did it in Detroit in 2002 and I'd never heard the song before. I kept saying "What the fuck is this?" to my friend during the song, then at the end I said "SWING AND A MISS, AXL". I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue heard me seeing as there was dead silience/indifference to the song when they finished.

It did grow on me in it's studio form though. I dug the studio leak a lot more and then I ended up liking the album version a great deal. It's in the middle for me, I don't love it and I don't hate it.

Axl probably heard you. Ate him alive for a week and a half and he cracked, tour over. Thanks... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Needed to be said. Unfortunately your critique just made him think "If I add 12 more guitar lines Russ will like it". 

Haha, I knew the truth would come out someday. Ultimately, I am responsible for all the Chinese Democracy failures lol

• Wow 1

On 5/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, RussTCB said:

I *hated* Riad the first time I heard it, which happened to be in concert. They did it in Detroit in 2002 and I'd never heard the song before. I kept saying "What the fuck is this?" to my friend during the song, then at the end I said "SWING AND A MISS, AXL". I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue heard me seeing as there was dead silience/indifference to the song when they finished.

I was there for that too and it did not land well.  It certainly didn't help that it was the fourth or fifth straight new song played in a row.  

This is easily my least liked song on the album.  It blows my mind having heard some of the leaks from a couple of years ago that this song was included.  There were so many better options.  

At best, this should have been a b-side to a fourth or fifth single released from Chinese Democracy.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

49 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I just noticed today that there was yet another guitar-layer present during at least the second verse (left channel, very hard to hear). Even seems to play chords over the main riff. That's what I love about CD - the massive clusterfuck it is. You always stumble across new stuff you didn't notice. I've listened to this album an unhealthy amount of times, and I still haven't discovered everything. Understandably, that turns a lot of people off since the "copy&paste" approach of course comes across as soulless. 

Not having a go or anything, but who cares if there is a really low in the mix guitar part which you can't really hear? Like if it's so low in the mix you can't really make out what's happening, why bother including it? Seems pointless. Personally I think Axl just needlessly over complicated that album.

• Like 1