08/30/21 - Phoenix, AZ - Phoenix Suns Arena

Powerage5

9 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Maybe by the promoter or they just used the old slogan. But that line was cut by the band before this tour.

Give up dude.....the band itself doesn't promote shit.  This tour was advertised as an "All new Show" plain and simple.  Why are you such an apologist. 

• Haha 1

• It's So Easy
  • Mr. Brownstone
  • Chinese Democracy
  • Slither
  • (Velvet Revolver cover)
  • Double Talkin' Jive
  • Welcome to the Jungle
  • (Link Wray's "Rumble" intro)
  • Better
  • Estranged
  • Live and Let Die
  • (Wings cover)
  • You're Crazy
  • (slow version)
  • Rocket Queen
  • You Could Be Mine
  • I Wanna Be Your Dog
  • (The Stooges cover) (Duff on lead vocals)
  • Absurd
  • Civil War
  • (Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun"… more )
  • Slash Guitar Solo
  • (Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" Jam)
  • Sweet Child o' Mine
  • November Rain
  • Wichita Lineman
  • (Jimmy Webb cover)
  • Patience
  • Knockin' on Heaven's Door
  • (Bob Dylan cover) (Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" intro)
  • Nightrain
  • Encore:
  • Madagascar
  • Don't Cry
  • The Seeker
  • (The Who cover)
  • Paradise City
Edited by darkside259

4 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

It's So Easy

Play Video

Mr. Brownstone

Play Video

Chinese Democracy

Play Video

Slither

(Velvet Revolver cover)

Play Video

Double Talkin' Jive

Play Video

Welcome to the Jungle

(Link Wray's "Rumble" intro)

Play Video

Better

Play Video

Estranged

Play Video

Live and Let Die

(Wings cover)

Play Video

You're Crazy

(slow version)

Play Video

Rocket Queen

Play Video

You Could Be Mine

Play Video

I Wanna Be Your Dog

(The Stooges cover) (Duff on lead vocals)

Play Video

Absurd

Play Video

Civil War

(Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun"… more )

Play Video

Slash Guitar Solo

(Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" Jam)

Play Video

Sweet Child o' Mine

Play Video

November Rain

Play Video

Wichita Lineman

(Jimmy Webb cover)

Play Video

Patience

Play Video

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

(Bob Dylan cover) (Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" intro)

Play Video

Nightrain

Play Video

Encore:

Madagascar

Play Video

Don't Cry

Play Video

The Seeker

(The Who cover)

Play Video

Paradise City

What is the song "play video" and why did they play it 25 times? 😳😳😳

6 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Give up dude.....the band itself doesn't promote shit.  This tour was advertised as an "All new Show" plain and simple.  Why are you such an apologist. 

They promote it on their social media channels obviously and nowhere it said "all new show" for this leg. but if they do, please show me. Your Mr. Apologist

And also: How the hell would promoters know wether it's going to be a new show or not?

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

Has anyone seen any setlist for the recent shows? I'm curious to see what the alt songs looks like.

I second this its strange to not see a setlist arise. After adding Patience and WL to The normal set id think the setlist has changed since the first week

22 minutes ago, FabioRoses said:

Has anyone seen any setlist for the recent shows? I'm curious to see what the alt songs looks like.

1 minute ago, Joraz said:

I second this its strange to not see a setlist arise. After adding Patience and WL to The normal set id think the setlist has changed since the first week

image0.jpg

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

15 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Indeed.

And i don`t remember Axl staying onstage during guitar solos or intros, even in 2016-2020 era.

You can see Axl`s dancing during SCOM intro and solo, YCBM intro, and etc.

Yep. In November 2019 he was in the little dressing room every chance he got. Last week, he only went in to change his shirt and or hat and came right back out. He also looks like he’s having fun up there. 

15 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

The DTJ’s from this tour are the best Slash has played in a while. The last few nights his solos have the old feel from the illusions tour. They’re a highlight for me so far. 

He looks like he really enjoys playing DTJ :headbang:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Ok so here's my review

I got inside about half an hour before WVH started and walked around. Looking from the other sections there weren't really any bad seats in the venue, each section had a good view of the stage. Lots of people coming in and getting food/drinks. By the time WVH started the room was about 2/3 full with a lot of people still outside. WVH was great, short set though, so I was happy that I saw them the night before at their headline show (more on that later). After he was done I went out for a bathroom break and there were even more people coming in and walking around. When the intro video started the whole place was full and I couldn't see any empty seats, so this show definitely didn't have any problems selling. I guess that's the difference between playing a basketball arena vs a football/baseball stadium like some of the past few shows. 

So there's definitely a huge difference between watching the show on a stream or YouTube video vs being there in person. Even though I knew which song was coming next it still was exciting throughout. It's boring for us watching online but live it's actually a pretty good set, well paced and contains all the hits for the casuals and some other stuff for the diehards. I even enjoyed RQ (the solo breaks were fun to watch), Slash's blues solo (also fun to watch), and KOHD (one of the few songs that the whole audience went crazy for, especially during the crowd participation parts). Slash and Fortus trading solos on that song is cool to watch and you can tell they really enjoy that part. Absurd is also really cool live, and I love the new version of you're crazy. I could've done without Madagascar though, that song is kind of boring and takes away the energy that's built up from Nightrain. I would've preferred Sorry or TWAT if they have to do a CD song there, otherwise that's a good spot for PTU or whatever else. That's really my only critique with the set apart from the fact that they're not doing Locomotive/Coma/SOYL/Dead Horse/etc anymore. 

Axl was full of energy and very talkative, as noted by other people in this thread. As far as his voice goes, he sounded great overall. Low and mid voice was very strong and sounded like classic Axl, Mickey isn't really that big of a deal live. For me, watching him run around and interact with the crowd makes up for it, but overall I think he was very strong vocally. Certainly not as bad as people here make it out to be. He stayed on stage more for solos than in the past. He had a few timing issues too but it didn't throw off the band. One of my favorite moments was the little dance he did in the back during the guitar lead before the "so nobody ever told you baby" part in Estranged; another was when he came over to the stage left corner right by my section and waved, everyone near me went crazy. 

Slash and Duff were super solid as usual. I really liked seeing I Wanna Be Your Dog live, it rocks hard and the band seems to enjoy doing that song. Duff sounded really good on it, I wish they would have him sing more songs during his section, like maybe I Wanna Be Your Dog, something out of the GnR canon, maybe another song after that. If anything it would give them an excuse to do more TSI stuff. Both of them are clearly enjoying playing shows together again and I loved the little moments of interaction that they had together (I guess this is what they're talking about when they refer to Sluff). Slash's playing was incredible like it always is and he also came to the side of the stage to interact with my section. Dizzy and Melissa are kind of just there in the background and Frank's playing wasn't as offensive as it's been before. Everyone here knows that I don't really like what he's done with some of the songs and while he's no Steven/Matt (and definitely no Fitzy) he was actually pretty good. Slowing down the songs has really helped and the band sounds tighter; for a lot of the set if you closed your eyes it would sound almost like UYI era. Fortus still annoys me with his showboating antics; after seeing Frank Sidoris play before them I was imagining what it would be like if they had him up there instead of Fortus and I would've preferred that. Frankie knows how to move around the stage and look cool without overdoing it like Fortus. 

As I mentioned earlier, I saw Mammoth WVH the night before at their headline show. I ran into Frankie outside the venue when I was walking there so it was cool to see him again and talk. I was right in front between where Frank and Wolf stand on stage so I had a great view and could see everything up close. They sounded great and it's definitely one of my favorite shows that I've been to. Their opening set was only half an hour so a good introduction for new fans but if you're like me then it's worth going to a headline show.

So bottom line: if you're on the fence about seeing GnR on this run, just go do it. I waited until the week before to buy my ticket and got a good deal so you don't have to spend a lot to go. I think they sound great, better than the last couple years and they look excited and engaged again, which they weren't earlier. Go see Mammoth WVH too if they're playing near you. I kind of wish I had traveled for the LA show and/or the Vegas one as well.

Spot on review!!! Very good detailed ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Yep. In November 2019 he was in the little dressing room every chance he got. Last week, he only went in to change his shirt and or hat and came right back out. He also looks like he’s having fun up there. 

That's actually very interesting. People have been claiming he is more happy now than before, but I think he has been consistently in a good mood since well before the "reunion". Not leaving the stage all the time, though, is a qualitatively different thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Ok so here's my review

I got inside about half an hour before WVH started and walked around. Looking from the other sections there weren't really any bad seats in the venue, each section had a good view of the stage. Lots of people coming in and getting food/drinks. By the time WVH started the room was about 2/3 full with a lot of people still outside. WVH was great, short set though, so I was happy that I saw them the night before at their headline show (more on that later). After he was done I went out for a bathroom break and there were even more people coming in and walking around. When the intro video started the whole place was full and I couldn't see any empty seats, so this show definitely didn't have any problems selling. I guess that's the difference between playing a basketball arena vs a football/baseball stadium like some of the past few shows. 

So there's definitely a huge difference between watching the show on a stream or YouTube video vs being there in person. Even though I knew which song was coming next it still was exciting throughout. It's boring for us watching online but live it's actually a pretty good set, well paced and contains all the hits for the casuals and some other stuff for the diehards. I even enjoyed RQ (the solo breaks were fun to watch), Slash's blues solo (also fun to watch), and KOHD (one of the few songs that the whole audience went crazy for, especially during the crowd participation parts). Slash and Fortus trading solos on that song is cool to watch and you can tell they really enjoy that part. Absurd is also really cool live, and I love the new version of you're crazy. I could've done without Madagascar though, that song is kind of boring and takes away the energy that's built up from Nightrain. I would've preferred Sorry or TWAT if they have to do a CD song there, otherwise that's a good spot for PTU or whatever else. That's really my only critique with the set apart from the fact that they're not doing Locomotive/Coma/SOYL/Dead Horse/etc anymore. 

Axl was full of energy and very talkative, as noted by other people in this thread. As far as his voice goes, he sounded great overall. Low and mid voice was very strong and sounded like classic Axl, Mickey isn't really that big of a deal live. For me, watching him run around and interact with the crowd makes up for it, but overall I think he was very strong vocally. Certainly not as bad as people here make it out to be. He stayed on stage more for solos than in the past. He had a few timing issues too but it didn't throw off the band. One of my favorite moments was the little dance he did in the back during the guitar lead before the "so nobody ever told you baby" part in Estranged; another was when he came over to the stage left corner right by my section and waved, everyone near me went crazy. 

Slash and Duff were super solid as usual. I really liked seeing I Wanna Be Your Dog live, it rocks hard and the band seems to enjoy doing that song. Duff sounded really good on it, I wish they would have him sing more songs during his section, like maybe I Wanna Be Your Dog, something out of the GnR canon, maybe another song after that. If anything it would give them an excuse to do more TSI stuff. Both of them are clearly enjoying playing shows together again and I loved the little moments of interaction that they had together (I guess this is what they're talking about when they refer to Sluff). Slash's playing was incredible like it always is and he also came to the side of the stage to interact with my section. Dizzy and Melissa are kind of just there in the background and Frank's playing wasn't as offensive as it's been before. Everyone here knows that I don't really like what he's done with some of the songs and while he's no Steven/Matt (and definitely no Fitzy) he was actually pretty good. Slowing down the songs has really helped and the band sounds tighter; for a lot of the set if you closed your eyes it would sound almost like UYI era. Fortus still annoys me with his showboating antics; after seeing Frank Sidoris play before them I was imagining what it would be like if they had him up there instead of Fortus and I would've preferred that. Frankie knows how to move around the stage and look cool without overdoing it like Fortus. 

As I mentioned earlier, I saw Mammoth WVH the night before at their headline show. I ran into Frankie outside the venue when I was walking there so it was cool to see him again and talk. I was right in front between where Frank and Wolf stand on stage so I had a great view and could see everything up close. They sounded great and it's definitely one of my favorite shows that I've been to. Their opening set was only half an hour so a good introduction for new fans but if you're like me then it's worth going to a headline show.

So bottom line: if you're on the fence about seeing GnR on this run, just go do it. I waited until the week before to buy my ticket and got a good deal so you don't have to spend a lot to go. I think they sound great, better than the last couple years and they look excited and engaged again, which they weren't earlier. Go see Mammoth WVH too if they're playing near you. I kind of wish I had traveled for the LA show and/or the Vegas one as well.

Great review.

And absolutely agree - Madagascar is a strange one in that it’s a great song however I’m not exactly sure it works well in a set due to its slow pace and runtime. Estranged and NR can get away with it because….well….they are absolutely top tier AND everyone knows them.

Madagascar should be used sparingly IMO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

They promote it on their social media channels obviously and nowhere it said "all new show" for this leg. but if they do, please show me. Your Mr. Apologist

And also: How the hell would promoters know wether it's going to be a new show or not?

They advertised this tour as an all new show.

• Like 1