Is CDII the final Guns release?

Let’s say CDII is happening this year, next year, or soon.

Is that the end of the road for new Guns music? Do we really imagine Axl, with his current voice laying down vocals on new songs? With how long new music takes, would he be in his 70’s by the time it would be finished anyways? The way it currently feels is like that CDII will be the last hurrah for new music, and then the band will tour for a while followed by the typical finale tour.

I would hope to be wrong but the idea of them releasing anything after this alleged CDII, if it happens period, feels bleak, considering CDII will mostly use already written songs with already finished vocals.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Is that the end of the road for new Guns music? Do we really imagine Axl, with his current voice laying down vocals on new songs? With how long new music takes, would he be in his 70’s by the time it would be finished anyways? The way it currently feels is like that CDII will be the last hurrah for new music, and then the band will tour for a while followed by the typical finale tour.

I would hope to be wrong but the idea of them releasing anything after this alleged CDII, if it happens period, feels bleak, considering CDII will mostly use already written songs with already finished vocals.

I wouldn't be surprised if CDII was the last album released by GN'R (more might be released post mortem, but that's not what we are talking about). I would also not be surprised if they release one or more albums after CDII. So for once I don't think the band can actually manage to surprise me. Haha. I have the upper hand now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

He very well could record vocals today and sound great. The question is will he write new songs

I don't expect another GNR record ever. I expect they'll go the Motley Crue route. A single or two for each new tour (SOYL, Absurd, Hard Skool, and onward), maybe the occasional video or promotion, but nothing more than that. They're a touring nostalgia act. Anything more will be unexpected.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

He very well could record vocals today and sound great. The question is will he write new songs

I think that would require him recording line by line - which IIRC is how it's believed he recorded much of Chinese, right? It's possible, but I suspect unlikely. I think it's far more likely that they're using the CD sessions as the basis because Axl's voice was in great shape at periods, it's the best option they have, and honestly, I think Axl needs to let go and put it out there for his own good.

We might see the odd track after that, but I suspect they'll probably end up on the festival circuit and rinse the vault for all it's worth. 

• Like 2

It'll be the last album released from a current, active lineup.

Unfortunately, in 20+ years or so when some key members start passing and/or are incapacitated to the point where the band's decisions are left up to an estate or a label, we'll start seeing albums released full of outtakes/works in progress/anything unreleased in the vault. 

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 1

I believe if they mix old, newer, and new in each case, they can pull more albums, but it all stands or falls with Axl's voice possibilities. I've never feared scarcity of material in his case. Just because it's not out, it doesn't mean there's nothing. 

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

I don't expect another GNR record ever. I expect they'll go the Motley Crue route. A single or two for each new tour (SOYL, Absurd, Hard Skool, and onward), maybe the occasional video or promotion, but nothing more than that. They're a touring nostalgia act. Anything more will be unexpected.

This is the most likely, I agree. After the next and final album. ;)

Would be cool if they did another album of new, more mellow, accoustic stuff with some live tracks again, like Lies, at some point in the future. "More Lies". 

Edited by El Guapo

IF this one were to come out, and I have no doubts this will be dragged out another year or so, it absolutely will be the last official GNR release under the helm of Axl. 

At this point it’s quite evident Axl isn’t capable of recording full-length songs utilizing his dynamic range and vocal prowess of long forgotten lore. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

IF this one were to come out, and I have no doubts this will be dragged out another year or so, it absolutely will be the last official GNR release under the helm of Axl. 

At this point it’s quite evident Axl isn’t capable of recording full-length songs utilizing his dynamic range and vocal prowess of long forgotten lore. 

but what if he doesn't need to record full length songs anymore to release more music in the future? we don't know how many tunes with finished vocals exist in the vault.

there could be 2 albums worth of music with vocals so they can release CD ll next year, and another album 5 years from now.

anyway, my focus is on CD ll. I hope they will manage to get it out soon. Everything else is gravy.

I think we 100% see a new album next year like what we got out of Absurd. Slash and Duff re-recording great parts on Axl's stuff. I'd hope for a few original tracks by Slash/Duff/Axl, but I'm not holding my breath. I imagine they would want to have something on the album that they originally wrote with Axl, but who knows.

If there is a follow up, it will come much, much faster since Slash can lay down tracks a hell of a lot faster than Axl going through band members and reworking stuff for 10+ years. We might be surprised at Axl. He might think, well shit, I've only got so much longer that I can do this, why not give an original album with these guys a shot and work with whatever magic there may be left. For all we know, Axl could have a dozen lyrical and vocal melody ideas around on a home recorder that would go towards a new album. I mean, who the hell knows what he's been doing outside of touring since what, 2008? That's like, writing one song a year lyrically or working on some vocal melodies for a third album set of material (after CD, "CD II" material). Anything is possible.

Is Axl as prolific as he's made out to be on here if he doesn't have anything but material from CD and CD II for the last 20+ years? Maybe that's another discussion. Hell, maybe the material from CD II will be amazing with Slash and Duff and the complaints will be low and it will fully live up to any hope of hearing these guys together on a recording. Absurd is a questionable look at the future. Also, imagine if we didn't have leaks. We wouldn't even know that the material that may be on this possible upcoming album wasn't by the guys in the current band. Hard to knock the guys if half of the album is leaked stuff with the same leaked vocals. We weren't supposed to have that material unfinished. I think in a perfect world with this reunion, the upcoming album would be the best of what Axl did that wasn't on CD for half the album (with guitars reworked by the current band), then hard rock contributed by Slash and Duff for the other half, of course, mixed together in a track listing that had a good flow.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 2