Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

11 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Hard skool would have more views If they released a real video. There's no need for people to watch it on YouTube if they can stream it on Spotify

I watched it once on yt and will never again. And I really like the song.

This bare minimum approach gets them these numbers. Seems like they don't care anyway.

The newer bridge is pretty cool on the studio track, now that I'm used to it, with its vaguely UYI vibe, but, I have to say...found it really lame live. 

Axl standing there, throwing out random "HIIIIII HI's for 30-45 seconds made it feel like it was about two minutes long, and really exposed, IMO, how underdeveloped that part of the song truly is, all because he couldn't be arsed to put more work into the track, beyond tacking on a gimmicky scratch vocal from two decades ago.

Still, having said that, a rad song.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, oneway23 said:

The newer bridge is pretty cool on the studio track, now that I'm used to it, with its vaguely UYI vibe, but, I have to say...found it really lame live. 

Axl standing there, throwing out random "HIIIIII HI's for 30-45 seconds made it feel like it was about two minutes long, and really exposed, IMO, how underdeveloped that part of the song truly is, all because he couldn't be arsed to put more work into the track, beyond tacking on a gimmicky scratch vocal from two decades ago.

Still, having said that, a rad song.

He should have added some words to that part. The song has grown on me a bit, but the lyrics are so lazy! 5 identical choruses 3 of which come right after each other. From the guy that wrote Estranged it just doesn't feel that inspired.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He should have added some words to that part. The sing has grown on me a bit, but the lyrics are so lazy! 5 identical choruses 3 of which come right after each other. From the guy that wrote Estranged it just doesn't feel that inspired.

It's distracting a bit, to be honest. Takes away from the instrumental parts. I'd much rather have a full, re-worked Eye On You (which is still possible, I suppose)

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

the new ACDC video has 1.53m views in 4 days, gnr has 1.35m in 11 days. Such a shit promotional campaign, or lack thereof. we're so starved, people have been saying how happy they are just to hear new songs in the set and to be released which yes is fantastic, but 1-2 posts on their own social media channels, limited radio push, zero paid ad push, zero interviews. This band is a fucking balls up. Hardskool has radio appeal and would go down great with the fanbase. If GnR want to learn how to promote, look at iron maiden, look at metallica, a new GnR album would do fuck all purely coz of TB and Axl. people here genuinely praising TB n Axl. Mental that this is already sinking without a trace. such a shame, it's a good song. its also a shame the standard we have for the band are not the ones they set for themselves. 

Agreed but this isn’t a band thing. It’s an Axl Rose always doing things ass backward thing. Slash has already started promoting his upcoming album/single. It’s gonna be funny when he has a video out for his single only a few weeks after HS was released.  

9 hours ago, betterman said:

Taken from reddit: (I dont know where this lists is officially published)

New weekly chart has been released for rock radio station in the United States and Hard Skool has jumped all the way up to #18 from last week's #28. The song was played by radio stations 584 times this week, as opposed to the 319 times it was played the week before.

Hard Skool has incredible momentum right now and has a realistic shot to enter the top 10 in the coming weeks.

Multiple links have been posted to these lists recently in this thread if you’re looking.

6 hours ago, MrDeano said:

Hard skool just got played on planet rock in the UK this morning 🤟😁🤟, first time I've heard it on the radio

Yeah, they also talked about the "EP that was due for release in Feb". Wonder if they're just repeating what they've read on the web, of if they actually know.

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

It's distracting a bit, to be honest. Takes away from the instrumental parts. I'd much rather have a full, re-worked Eye On You (which is still possible, I suppose)

eye on yo is suck an epic one i really don t get why people are not impresed about that song 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He should have added some words to that part. The sing has grown on me a bit, but the lyrics are so lazy! 5 identical choruses 3 of which come right after each other. From the guy that wrote Estranged it just doesn't feel that inspired.

Agree on that, but wasn't HS meant to be a movie sountrack from the beginning? if so, it shows. Totally fine rock/punk song that would have a lot more listeners if the brilliant managers could promote the song outside their Instagram lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Going back to the mix - what I noticed is the where the vocals are further in the background for the first 2/3s of the song they are then ‘where they should be’ from post-solo onwards….or is it just me? 🤔

The mix is sounding a little better the more I listen to it, but I still prefer the Village "rough mix" on it and Absurd/Silkworms. 

If either or both appear on the next album, I hope they are properly mixed and mastered. 

Hard Skool and Absurd both sound like advanced demo mixes, to me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

The mix is sounding a little better the more I listen to it, but I still prefer the Village "rough mix" on it and Absurd/Silkworms. 

If either or both appear on the next album, I hope they are properly mixed and mastered. 

It was on the radio whilst driving and it was more noticeable how low the vocals were but then the post-solo section it rocked hard and sounded great. Very odd.

The mix on Absurd is absolutely fine for me TBH.

I still favour the Village session however that’s in part that I have had it for a few years so it’s more engrained in the mind! 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estranged_85 said:

Agree on that, but wasn't HS meant to be a movie sountrack from the beginning? if so, it shows. Totally fine rock/punk song that would have a lot more listeners if the brilliant managers could promote the song outside their Instagram lol.

If it was used in a movie then they'd chop it up to suit the scene. I'd assume it would either be a you could be mine situation or just an end credits song.

Funny how besides bond it's not really a big deal any more for artists to do the soundtrack. 

I don't know if the song was ever seriously considered, that was 1996 that Jackie chan movie was out and I'd be shocked if they had a single song in a releasable state that year.

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Yeah Hard School especially to me is the most "demo" sounding out of the two but I hooe that if they are on a proper full album they get a new mix to blend wirh the rest of the material.  Rush did that with two songs off Clockwork Angels, did an initial mix for the singles and then another mix for the album

• Like 1