Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I just found a YouTube comment claiming that this is the real credits of the song:

Produced By Caram Costanzo & Axl Rose Written By Chris Pitman, Dizzy Reed, Paul Tobias, Josh Freese, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson & Axl Rose Release Date September 24, 2021

Do we know for sure if Axl really wrote this song on his own, as the press statement claimed?

I doubt anyone knows for sure, but to me those lyrics are about Slash leaving the band in 96’. Isn’t it around this time that Duff confirmed they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie? Anyway, a few points that stand out to me.....

no effort spared to save what we had

i would’ve thought you could be more of a man... but you had to play it cool, ...do it your way..... throw it all away...... thought you were here to stay. 

to me it says everything Axl was feeling about slash leaving. Axl has said how Slash always made it look a certain way, and tried to save face. I don’t know, maybe I’m looking too much into it, but hardskool could be the ability to put up with Axl’s craziness.

Anyway to answer your question, I 100% believe Axl at least wrote all the lyrics to this one.

10 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

I doubt anyone knows for sure, but to me those lyrics are about Slash leaving the band in 96’. Isn’t it around this time that Duff confirmed they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie? Anyway, a few points that stand out to me.....

no effort spared to save what we had

i would’ve thought you could be more of a man... but you had to play it cool, ...do it your way..... throw it all away...... thought you were here to stay. 

to me it says everything Axl was feeling about slash leaving. Axl has said how Slash always made it look a certain way, and tried to save face. I don’t know, maybe I’m looking too much into it, but hardskool could be the ability to put up with Axl’s craziness.

Anyway to answer your question, I 100% believe Axl at least wrote all the lyrics to this one.

Ah yeah I was referring to the music, not the lyrics.

18 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’m hoping that once the we see the back artwork for Hardskool, it’ll say “from the forthcoming album ______”

That’s be glorious! Almost like “viral marketing,” in a sense. Though I wouldn’t get my hopes up lol.

Edited by rocknroll41

As TRM mentioned though it is getting some more radio plays. According to this rolling active rock chart it’s currently at #18.

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/allaboutcountry/Charts.asp?format=R2R

#20 on this:

https://news.iheart.com/featured/charts/active-rock/

Edited by Martin Riggs

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I just found a YouTube comment claiming that this is the real credits of the song:

Produced By Caram Costanzo & Axl Rose Written By Chris Pitman, Dizzy Reed, Paul Tobias, Josh Freese, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson & Axl Rose Release Date September 24, 2021

Do we know for sure if Axl really wrote this song on his own, as the press statement claimed?

These credits are from "Aien," who covered a few of the Village leaks and listed writers for each song randomly or according to their "best guess" (which usually was to credit all the 1999 lineup). So it's not the "real credits" by any means.

We can't be 100% sure, but a press statement from the band is undoubtedly way more credible than the credits given by a cover band.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

That’s be glorious! Almost like “viral marketing,” in a sense. Though I wouldn’t get my hopes up lol.

they had “from the forthcoming album Afd on the back of the it’s so easy 12” single and I think the YCBM single had the same thing, so maybe it’s a good indicator of what’s to come?

• Wow 1

13 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

https://youtu.be/hf4srkSc0Ig

So, having listened more and more, I KNEW I’d heard a similar sound elsewhere. It was driving me insane. I played my punk playlist while driving yesterday and Was It Me by The Exploited came on. It’s definitely a sound-alike here. Scary how similar in places.

Damn, listened to a fxxkton of Exploited when I was younger, but nice catch. 😁🤔

7 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I told my mates to listen to it. One of then said it reminded him of "Towers of London".

That's one for the UK folks. Fucking Donny Tourettes... possibly my favourite ever episode of Buzzcocks. 

I met and played on a festival with Towers and Donny is as big a prick as you’d expect. Snell and Rev literally told me that they “just put up with it cos’ he’s controversial innit?”

A few decent tunes though and actually, I see what they mean.

• Haha 2

Taken from reddit: (I dont know where this lists is officially published)

New weekly chart has been released for rock radio station in the United States and Hard Skool has jumped all the way up to #18 from last week's #28. The song was played by radio stations 584 times this week, as opposed to the 319 times it was played the week before.

Hard Skool has incredible momentum right now and has a realistic shot to enter the top 10 in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

That's a really lovely video. It was moving how they paid homage to Bon Scott and Malcolm Young in it.

Agreed, really good video and probably didn't take a whole load of effort, but really hit the mark. GnRs is a locker with graffiti on it. not even a lyric video, or a live video, just a locker. It's so hard to love this band, when they don't care about themselves or their audience. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

So, having listened more and more, I KNEW I’d heard a similar sound elsewhere. It was driving me insane. I played my punk playlist while driving yesterday and Was It Me by The Exploited came on. It’s definitely a sound-alike here. Scary how similar in places.

That's crazy! I'd really like to hear what the Exploited thinks about this.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

So Hard Skool is also a cover !!!

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Well there's no plagiarism here for sure, this song came out in 2003? Hard Skool was recorded in 1999? unless the exploited got their hands on the locker leaks... unless the Exploited are the real source of Chinese Democracy leaks! don't pull the thread Tom!🧐

Very basic chord progression so it's no surprise there's going to be similar songs, but there's no doubt that they sound close. Tempo, underlying melody of the 2nd gtr, drum pattern... still different enough to not warrant any legal proceedings... and if there was uncle Axl has enough demos to prove he didn't copy anybody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

the new ACDC video has 1.53m views in 4 days, gnr has 1.35m in 11 days. Such a shit promotional campaign, or lack thereof. we're so starved, people have been saying how happy they are just to hear new songs in the set and to be released which yes is fantastic, but 1-2 posts on their own social media channels, limited radio push, zero paid ad push, zero interviews. This band is a fucking balls up. Hardskool has radio appeal and would go down great with the fanbase. If GnR want to learn how to promote, look at iron maiden, look at metallica, a new GnR album would do fuck all purely coz of TB and Axl. people here genuinely praising TB n Axl. Mental that this is already sinking without a trace. such a shame, it's a good song. its also a shame the standard we have for the band are not the ones they set for themselves. 

Hard skool would have more views If they released a real video. There's no need for people to watch it on YouTube if they can stream it on Spotify

• Like 2