So...whats next?

GNR, Metallica, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard are considered top classic rock band nowadays. They are not at the Stones level ( not sure how anyone can compare these  bands to the Stones) but they are up there. I like AC/DC ( seen them 4 times) but a lot of people complain that their songs sound the same.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

In what way do users of this forum 'not have respect for the band'? 

Claiming that they aren't viewed favourably by a lot of people, and that they're not in the same league of popularity as The Rolling Stones really has nothing to do with 'respect' and everything to do with being objective and honest. 

Or do you expect everyone here to be totally blinkered to reality?  

Why does it make people lesser fans to say that they they've had years and years of people light-heartedly mocking them for still liking GNR? 

I'm sorry but I absolutely can't stand this modern phonemum for either loving something and turning into some rabid peculiar and irrational obsessive or being labelled as not having 'respect' or 'hating' something. It's just fucking nonsense. 

Just my opinion as you have yours.  I also did not say a lot of what you areaccusing me of such as nobody here has respect or are lesser fans, these are not my thoughts at all and am sorry that is what you took from it.  All I am saying is I think GnR are thought of as more than just a kilt etc.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Just my opinion as you have yours.  I also did not say a lot of what you areaccusing me of such as nobody here has respect or are lesser fans, these are not my thoughts at all and am sorry that is what you took from it.  All I am saying is I think GnR are thought of as more than just a kilt etc.  

Well, no matter. But I assure you that to a lot of people in the real world, GNR are a couple of songs and a novelty way of dressing. 

This doesn't mean I'm happy with that, but it is what it is. As people said above, a lot of people still think it's also about late starts and onstage rants. Because for many years, that's exactly what was going on. 

That's the view lots of people still have of GNR. And for many years a lot of us have been ribbed in a good humoured way about continuing to love a band against a backdrop of all this stuff. 

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Agree with you fully that GNR are nowhere bloody near same level as The Stones or AC/DC. I remember hearing Adler on Eddie Trunk and he said something like... a reunion of the original GNR would be the biggest reunion ever. Somebody then pointed out Led Zeppelin and he didn't seem to grasp that Zep might dwarf GNR in terms of influence and appeal.

Even with a full AFD reunion I'm not sure it would make the waves that it would've made in 2016, since 3 of the 5 have been together already for 5 years.

3 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

agreed.  CALIFORNIA TAXES at that.  plus there was that rumor of Duff helping Slash out financially in the beginning of NITL.   not that we know if that's true or not.  

I thought it was that Duff gave up 5% of his share so that Slash could get 30% or something like that.

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

GNR, Metallica, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard are considered top classic rock band nowadays. They are not at the Stones level ( not sure how anyone can compare these  bands to the Stones) but they are up there. I like AC/DC ( seen them 4 times) but a lot of people complain that their songs sound the same.  

You can't complain about ACDC sounding the same. It's exactly what You want to hear from them. I don't want Angus to go experimental shit. Just straight rock and roll

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

You can't complain about ACDC sounding the same. It's exactly what You want to hear from them. I don't want Angus to go experimental shit. Just straight rock and roll

Slash want that post uyis i believe... Axl dont

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

In what way do users of this forum 'not have respect for the band'? 

Claiming that they aren't viewed favourably by a lot of people, and that they're not in the same league of popularity as The Rolling Stones really has nothing to do with 'respect' and everything to do with being objective and honest. 

Or do you expect everyone here to be totally blinkered to reality?  

Why does it make people lesser fans to say that they they've had years and years of people light-heartedly mocking them for still liking GNR? 

I'm sorry but I absolutely can't stand this modern phonemum for either loving something and turning into some rabid peculiar and irrational obsessive or being labelled as not having 'respect' or 'hating' something. It's just fucking nonsense. 

In addition to everything you just said, I'd like to add this: GN'R is short on respect for their fans, not the other way around. Especially when it comes to people on this forum 

Now if yoill excuse me, I have to return an Instagram message from Axl. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

In addition to everything you just said, I'd like to add this: GN'R is short on respect for their fans, not the other way around. Especially when it comes to people on this forum 

Axl has just requested a photo of my dick on Instagram. I…can’t say no…right? 😳

• Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I dont agree at all that  GnR are 'just a kilt etc'.  The people I speak too (all ages) see them as a legendry hard rock band,  I am not sure where you get your info from but their reputation is well and truly cemented  in the annals of great rock n roll.  I am really surprised that someone on the forum would hold this point of view, it seems folk who dont use the forums have more respect for the band.

Yep. If the truly great rock bands of all-time retired to the same English country estate- Guns would be there. They might be parking cars for the likes of the Stones, Beatles, Zepp, etc.- but they’d be there (1st ballot RNRHOF, the greatest debut hard rock record of all-time, playing stadiums 30+ yrs later).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Haha - you're talking to someone that was a huge fan of Nu-GNR! Still rate those years incredibly highly! 

Teenage me zoned out after the 2002 debacle and multiple cancellations of trips to Glasgow to see the band. I didn't have a lot of money, lived several hours away, had to pay for travel and accommodation... and this dick head kept on rescheduling before eventually cancelling. Can't quite remember the time line of events but after I saw the VMA performance, I was absolutely out. Never paid any attention to what was happening until about mid 2007 when I stumbled across the leaks. Interest peaked again around the release of ChiDem but by 2011 and that awful Rio and Bridge School gigs... I was 100% out. When I saw the Appetite For Democracy trailer, I couldn't help but laugh at what the band had become. Was vaguely enough interested that I would've listened to a follow up album but alas that never happened! Saw them in NYC in 2017 as they happened to be there same time and it was great. Interested peaked again. But dropped slightly thereafter as there was nothing new to listen to.

9 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Hey Mike, hope the rest of your honeymoon was great!

Not to be that pedantic jerk, buuuuttt, I do feel compelled to jump in here every time someone mentions the VH songs on their last :cry: album being old, or "leftover" vault songs, especially with some on here comparing and contrasting them in light of Guns' new singles. 

Comparable, to a point, yes, as in, a lot of the bedrock for six or seven of the songs dated from the late 70s, HOWEVER, the recordings themselves were brand new, the vocals were brand-new, , the lyrics were, in most cases, re-written, some of the arrangements were tinkered with and/or freshened up, and, there were four or five largely new tracks.  They didn't use any basic tracks or vocals from old demos.

Sorry, please...carry on! :)

Yeah you are absolutely right about that, I just meant that it was some “old ideas”, but yeah they were freshly recorded so good point. 

Also thanks, the honeymoon was great! She’s definitely a keeper! I think I have her talked into going to Vegas to one of DLR’s final shows in January

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yea I have the same problem with Mick...its Instagram after Instagram

On 10/4/2021 at 4:45 PM, felixGNR said:

i really hope they can do some promo for  Hard skool , the usual hit the late night shows, maybe play in a morning  show??. do some  interviews? hit some small clubs? 

do some  acoustic  sessions? like VR/Slash  have done before.

play an online show from the rehearsal  studio?

play arenas in december??

like Long island NY ( i live here, Fernando you better f'n read this)

These things are the opposite of what GNR actually do. None of this could ever happen..

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Even with a full AFD reunion I'm not sure it would make the waves that it would've made in 2016, since 3 of the 5 have been together already for 5 years.

I thought it was that Duff gave up 5% of his share so that Slash could get 30% or something like that.

The excitement of a "reunion" has passed with Slash back. I think the general public just wanted to see those 2 share the stage again. They probably aren't generally aware of who Izzy and Steven are. Duff is in that same boat to casual fans. I really don't think the tour would be less successful without him and that's not hating on Duff. It speaks more to how iconic Axl and Slash are.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Honestly I think Axl is semi retired at this point and as he heads through his 60s this is something as a fanbase we need to get to grips with.

It could be argued he's been semi retired for a long time because the down time has always vastly outweighed being on tour or releasing music. It's unlikely to get better as he gets older because that's not really how it works for anyone.

Slash clearly is not which is why he fills his time in between GNR tours with other stuff. So immediately you have a mismatch between the priorities of the main two.

There's still hope for a full album at some point but it's unlikely to be rushed because Axl doesn't work that way and I expect when not on tour he does things as and when he feels like it.

Looking forward realistically I think we might see one solid album (maybe two if we're really lucky and there's as much material as has been rumoured) within the next decade or so to close out the final chapter on this complicated band. Then some touring every couple of years for as long as Axl feels up to it and is having fun.

They'll probably be a few surprises along the way, old footage being released, box sets and special editions which will please some and not others.

There's no question that we are somewhere in the end game now. That's life and nothing lasts forever so I guess go see a show for the fun of it if they come around your way and everything else is a bonus if it happens.

I'm feeling a bit more zen about it all than I was pre pandemic. :lol:

Yeah I can see that argument about semi-retirement. 

4 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Yep. If the truly great rock bands of all-time retired to the same English country estate- Guns would be there. They might be parking cars for the likes of the Stones, Beatles, Zepp, etc.- but they’d be there (1st ballot RNRHOF, the greatest debut hard rock record of all-time, playing stadiums 30+ yrs later).

For a lot of rock fans, the band are just that though... a one album giant. As much as I love the Illusions, they are generally felt to be bloated. Proof is in the pudding... how many bloody threads do you see on the topic of 'should the Illusions have been one album?'. And that's on fan forums!! Go into any rock club any night of the week and you will absolutely hear a banger from AFD. Ya might hear the odd track from the Illusions as well, but let's be honest... nobody gives a shit about The Spaghetti Incident and I've never once heard anything be played from Chinese Democracy in a club or rock bar. I do recall Planet Rock radio in the UK playing TWAT once or twice back around 2008/09. But that's it. GNR did not capitalise on their stellar debut

24 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

man, speak for yourself! I love that album! 

I actually don't mind the album, but I was speaking generally. There are a few good covers on it and a few howlers too! But overall I don't mind it, but rarely listen to it. 

To put it a different way... I'm yet to meet anybody who cites the album as their favourite GNR album. 

13 hours ago, Pele said:

TB are compliant in this, regardless of their vague "we'll look into what might be happening" answers.

This guy has plagued the forums since 99 and is banned from any non-official forum for obvious reasons.

He was protected on the official Paradise City board and is protected on official Nightrain forum

How can anybody not love them, right? <3 

Just a random thought…how utterly ridiculous that The General was played at an after show party and all we got was a scabby snippet of it . 🤣

So there is folk who have heard The General in full. I know Silkworms was played too - I wonder what else was played at the party.

Oh GNR 🤣

Edited by DTJ80

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah I can see that argument about semi-retirement. 

For a lot of rock fans, the band are just that though... a one album giant. As much as I love the Illusions, they are generally felt to be bloated. Proof is in the pudding... how many bloody threads do you see on the topic of 'should the Illusions have been one album?'. And that's on fan forums!! Go into any rock club any night of the week and you will absolutely hear a banger from AFD. Ya might hear the odd track from the Illusions as well, but let's be honest... nobody gives a shit about The Spaghetti Incident and I've never once heard anything be played from Chinese Democracy in a club or rock bar. I do recall Planet Rock radio in the UK playing TWAT once or twice back around 2008/09. But that's it. GNR did not capitalise on their stellar debut

I think there’s the general perception of the Illusions as a whole- which is a bit mixed as you say- particularly as a follow-up to Appetite- vs what’s actually on the Illusions records individually. LALD, DC, NR, CW, Yesterdays, KOHD, Estranged, and YCBM alone is a GREAT career for 99% of bands to say nothing for a band that also has the best hard rock debut all-time, another Top 5 single (“Patience”) floating around out there, one of the most legendary Tours (UYI), and videos (NR) too. That’s enough (IMHO) for Spaghetti, and Chinese to not even come into it- though as a fan I love both those records.

• Like 2