09/01/21 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Powerage5

1 hour ago, kiwiguns said:

And you still haven't figured out that we on this fan forum are actually the manority and the causal fan base are the majority that attend the shows. 

You talk as if they think like we do, via picking apart everything the band does from Axls vocals, to his choice of shoes or boots he wears on stage, to the band choosing its set list, to people taking issue with the bands management. 

They simply don't have the knowledge or care . Their lifestyle does not revolve around a online fan forum. 

In fact these are the people better positioned to offer an unbiased opinion of the live performance. 

Those casual fans that attend the shows, often walk out having enjoyed the show and experience. They don't enter the show with any expectations or baggage in relation to Axls vocals, his level of rasp, lack of deep cuts from past albums not being played live or if they have heard Abusrd before.

They don't over think things and enjoy themselves.

What makes you think I haven’t figured it out? And what does my post have to do with picking apart Axl’s voice or opinions on live performances? I know the casuals don’t really care, that’s why I was saying it. Yes, what I also meant was, even if I was a casual fan of a band (bearing in mind this type of a box is very simplifying) but a fan to such a degree to decide to spend my money on a ticket, I would care enough to find out about possible new songs as long as we’re talking about a band that hasn’t released anything in over a decade, or in fact – if I only cared about the "proper" version with Slash – in 30 years. Some of these "casuals" might, most of them won’t, and I’m well aware of that. My first post literally said that most people in the crowd haven’t ever heard of Hard School. Even the second post was more like an "oh well" from me. 

Axl’s current form is a matter of a different thread, and I happen not to be one of those people who think you can’t assess anything unless you were there personally. These "I enjoyed myself, YT doesn’t make it justice" claims are nonsensical, because there’s no real contradiction. You’d be basically saying that I’m an idiot if I watch e.g. the Selects and yet can’t compare individual performances from each year with each other unless I attended those shows in the flesh. Again, that’s off topic. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

Well you're right.... But you're also wrong because we're talking about a minority of people that haven't seen GNR at this point! LA or Vegas especially. GNR have played those markets 3/4/5 times now there must be a lot of casuals who are not seeing this show for the first time. So, from that perspective it's a bit shit. There's every chance you go to a GNR show in 2016 and 2021 and hear the exact setlist with only small additions like Absurd, Slither and Witchita. We can say it's not a big deal, but that is almost unheard of to use a set for that long. It's a great group of songs, don't get me wrong but all things need some movement. It is nice that they are putting more effort in on stage though, if they were playing like they were in 2018 this tour would be utter shit.

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

Is that really an issue when the majority of people are seeing only one show per tour? :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

People on here keep talking about this like it’s bad. And maybe for those that are it is. For me personally it’s not. Went to MetLife on 8/5 and going to AC next weekend. And it’s not to just have a night out because I live there…I live in TN.

Been to see Foo Fighters quite a bit. From tour to tour they change a few songs (because of new albums….yeah I know) but it’s essentially the same songs every show….no one complains. And they always close the show with Everlong.

Bottom line for me is I’ll never grow tired of hearing my favorite band sing some of my favorite songs.

While it would be nice to play original songs instead of covers, they can't play a 5 hour show to play everything.  I'd like to hear some things they don't play but then they'd take out things that I also want to hear.

Maybe they can try a new concept after this tour of a weekend series of shows where you buy a ticket that gives you a show Friday, Saturday and Sunday and they play a different set each night.  Short of that, there's no way to please everybody.  

I went to one show already and will do one more this tour.  I wouldn't mind if they swapped out most of the set for my second show but for people who attend my second show as their only show, I think they'd be very unsatisfied if the hits were missing.

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

People on here keep talking about this like it’s bad. And maybe for those that are it is. For me personally it’s not. Went to MetLife on 8/5 and going to AC next weekend. And it’s not to just have a night out because I live there…I live in TN.

Been to see Foo Fighters quite a bit. From tour to tour they change a few songs (because of new albums….yeah I know) but it’s essentially the same songs every show….no one complains. And they always close the show with Everlong.

Bottom line for me is I’ll never grow tired of hearing my favorite band sing some of my favorite songs.

Yeah... FF don't have the set order year after year, it's not a sound comparison.

Nobody says you shouldn't enjoy the show or go multiple times, if you like it you like it! But the comparison is like going to see the latest movie on monday, and then seeing that same movie every other day that week. By the end of the week you've spotted all the nuggets and you're at the point of saying the lines word for word. Personally I don't enjoy a show that I know what's coming next, that's a huge factor of what I like at a show "I wonder what they'll open with, wonder will there be some deep cuts".

• Like 1

I think it’s obvious that the majority of people who go to a show want and expect to hear the hits. Deep cuts according these people include songs such as Mr Brownstone and Nightrain 

They aren’t there for Chinese Democracy, deep cuts they don’t know such as Bad Apples, or especially anything new. That’s when they go to the bathroom and grab another beer 

Any of that stuff that gets played is for their own satisfaction/agenda or to throw this part of the fanbase a bone 

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Slither, Double Talkin’ Jive, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Better, Estranged, Live And Let Die, You’re Crazy (slow version), Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, I Wanna Be Your Dog, Absurd, Civil War/Machine Gun (outro), Band Intros, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Wichita Lineman, Patience, Only Women Bleed (intro)/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Madagascar, Don’t Cry, The Seeker, Paradise City

That's probably the setlist for the next little bit.. maybe add Hardschool before October. 

Literally everyone who were at the shows are happy, and literally everyone who werent at the shows bitch about them.

A friend o'mine went to Dallas show totally by coincidence, and apart from not being a fan, he specifically hates axl, and has no respect to slash. He just told me he had fun, band  performance was excellent, slash is fun and axl was surprisingly good, he tot he was fat and couldnt move or sing. he told me he never seen a rockstar looking healty and cool as fuck as Duff. He's a die hard tallica fan and wants Duff to give them a couple of advices :D 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Literally everyone who were at the shows are happy, and literally everyone who werent at the shows bitch about them.

A friend o'mine went to Dallas show totally by coincidence, and apart from not being a fan, he specifically hates axl, and has no respect to slash. He just told me he had fun, band  performance was excellent, slash is fun and axl was surprisingly good, he tot he was fat and couldnt move or sing. he told me he never seen a rockstar looking healty and cool as fuck as Duff. He's a die hard tallica fan and wants Duff to give them a couple of advices :D 

Who wouldn't be happy going to a concert after 18 months? It's not a high bar! I'm going to a Liam Gallagher gig in a few weeks and i'm not even a fan, I bet i'll love the show too.

Also gnr are putting on a decent show, they look to be enjoying themselves too! That's worth the price of admission... but being reasonable any band should be breathing fire if they play a very, very similar set night after night going on half a decade!! 

I’ve passed the point of complaining about the set list. I’ve seem GNR 8 times, I’ve heard the same songs a lot of times. I had tickets for Buenos Aires 2020 (cancelled) and I’m definitely going to their next show here in Argentina. With Charlie Watts passing I thought: damn, all of our heroes one day will be gone. So I better enjoy them while they’re still alive and playing.  I’m not a big fan of “new” music, my playlists consist mainly of old Bands which many of them don’t exist anymore (Queen, for example). I hope they play Hardschool and release new music, but I’m not bitching anymore 

The two people next to me said Axl sounds like shit haha granted this was after the RQ and YCBM parts of the set. It’s very clear how weak he’s singing right now on a majority of the set. Sounds like he still has the power to push it but has completely changed the way he sings to preserve his voice? Idk he’s holding back quite a bit though. When you’re there you get so pumped up you wonder how he doesn’t just go all out and turn it up an octave but he’s done these songs so much he’s lost the emotion in them. 

Civil War he’d find the energy to let one out like on the “When everyone is fightin for their promised land” line and Madagascar did well with the crowd. The MLK part always gets your attention live. That build up to the last part is pretty emotional I’m surprised he doesn’t belt some power vocals into the close of that song. It would really cap it off perfectly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah... FF don't have the set order year after year, it's not a sound comparison.

Nobody says you shouldn't enjoy the show or go multiple times, if you like it you like it! But the comparison is like going to see the latest movie on monday, and then seeing that same movie every other day that week. By the end of the week you've spotted all the nuggets and you're at the point of saying the lines word for word. Personally I don't enjoy a show that I know what's coming next, that's a huge factor of what I like at a show "I wonder what they'll open with, wonder will there be some deep cuts".

Maybe not a sound comparison for you. I don't think watching a movie is a sound comparison. Different strokes for different folks.

Guess I am different. I never get tired of hearing GNR. I figured it up just for kicks and giggles.....if I've listened to RQ 2x a day since AFD came out (probably a low #) I've spent 4 months of my life listening to RQ and that doesn't count the "extended" version. And that's just RQ.....not counting any of the other GNR songs.

If they played at the fairgrounds here in Cookeville I'd be there every night same setlist or not. But again that's just me.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well you're right.... But you're also wrong because we're talking about a minority of people that haven't seen GNR at this point! LA or Vegas especially. GNR have played those markets 3/4/5 times now there must be a lot of casuals who are not seeing this show for the first time. So, from that perspective it's a bit shit. There's every chance you go to a GNR show in 2016 and 2021 and hear the exact setlist with only small additions like Absurd, Slither and Witchita. We can say it's not a big deal, but that is almost unheard of to use a set for that long. It's a great group of songs, don't get me wrong but all things need some movement. It is nice that they are putting more effort in on stage though, if they were playing like they were in 2018 this tour would be utter shit.

This a random setlist from 2016:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2679-2016-07-19-gillette-stadium-foxboro-ma-usa

Songs played in the last three shows in 2021 that were not played in 2016:  Slither, You're Crazy, Absurd, Don't Cry, Madagascar, Wichita, I Wanna Be Your Dog.

Songs in the 2016 setlist that haven't been played in 2021: TIL, Coma, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, Sorry, Attitude (they rotated Patience with Don't Cry then, now they play both).

The jams have also changed.

• Like 3