Hard Skool lyric video dropping tomorrow morning

Just now, Powderfinger said:

Standards are low.... A fan could have put together a better video with footage from the show. 

Not any fan, but yeah. 

And standards are low, that's true, too. I never expected a lyric video so anything is better than nothing. And when they decided to make one, I am happy it wasn't another cheese video with skeleton artwork like Shadow of Your Love. 

The timing is fucked up though :lol: Lovingly fucked up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B5Redeye said:

I like the video too. Is it “epic” like some from back in the day? No it’s not….doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “bad”……might be bad in your opinion.

There are some members on here who do nothing but complain. Axl is fat, GNR merch sucks, Axl’s voice sucks, tickets are too high, set list sucks, new video sucks…..makes you wonder if everything associated with GNR today is so bad why are these people here and how miserable are these people in real life.

And some will swallow whatever they’re given. 

Look at how Metallica handle they’re band and back catalogue. I’m not saying GnR are piss poor without seeing the alternative evidence from a lot of other bands who’s stuff I collect.

The recent tour I have no complaints about, I wasn’t at any of the gigs. What I heard on streams and videos, I liked. Some of the DTJ’s on this tour matched the 90s.

if you think the recent illusions merch isn’t a missed opportunity I don’t know what to say. They could have released some really cool stuff, instead as with the video it looked like paint shop designs by an amateur. 

Dont assume people who have a problem with one thing have a problem with everything. There’s lots of positive stuff with GnR happening. But that video ain’t one of them...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Ah yes, the old "you must have a terrible life if you don't praise the bare minimum effort from GN'R" bit. We haven't seen that one in a while. 

Thankfully, there's an entire line of rational thinking to combat that. I'll go ahead and take your points on one by one:

"Axl is fat" 

-hardly anyone here mentions Axl's weight. Maybe you're thinking of the GN'R Facebook page or the internet in general where people make remarks about his weight constantly. 

"GN'R merch sucks" 

-this is an odd one because what the users on here complain about is usually how they would like to buy GN'R merch, but GN'R gives us many reasons not to. Merch is usually poorly designed, bad quality and takes way too long to ship on top of that. So the complaints on this one are actually from people who want to buy GN'R merch, but are so disappointed that they can't 

"Axl's voice sucks" 

-again, these "complaints" come from people who are disappointed because they know Axl can sound better and he's proved that over and over. When it comes to GN'R, he just seems to put in less effort and ends up sounding OK at best. That's why people get discouraged and comment on it. 

"tickets are too high" 

-again, this is not a complaint so much as it's a statement of fact. Half full venues, even with discounts of up to 50% offf prove the point that ticket pricing for their last stadium run in the US were entirely too high. 

"setlist sucks" 

-most people on here praised the minor changes made to the setlist during the last run. And again, those who did "complain" did it from the viewpoint of trying to help. Pointing out small changes GN'R could make that would result in a more enjoyable show for the band and the audience. 

"new video sucks" 

-the actual lyric video isn't what's taking most of the criticism. The puzzling way it came about and what purpose it could possibly serve is what most people have focused on. 

So, again, what actually happens on this site is that a bunch of fans who seem to care far more about the band than the actual band itself offer their opinions on how things could be improved easily. 

Most reasonable people can see that's what happens on this site. However, GN'Rs management and some people who think of themselves as "real fans" choose to look at it as complaining just to complain. 

There he is. What threads/posts are you reading? Maybe you are thinking of FB because I don’t have a FB account.

Great post Russ…you really TCB 🙄 you get a gold bonus star ️ 

It’s so easy…(followed by Mr. Brownstone).

• Haha 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Ah yes, the old "you must have a terrible life if you don't praise the bare minimum effort from GN'R" bit. We haven't seen that one in a while. 

Thankfully, there's an entire line of rational thinking to combat that. I'll go ahead and take your points on one by one:

"Axl is fat" 

-hardly anyone here mentions Axl's weight. Maybe you're thinking of the GN'R Facebook page or the internet in general where people make remarks about his weight constantly. 

"GN'R merch sucks" 

-this is an odd one because what the users on here complain about is usually how they would like to buy GN'R merch, but GN'R gives us many reasons not to. Merch is usually poorly designed, bad quality and takes way too long to ship on top of that. So the complaints on this one are actually from people who want to buy GN'R merch, but are so disappointed that they can't 

"Axl's voice sucks" 

-again, these "complaints" come from people who are disappointed because they know Axl can sound better and he's proved that over and over. When it comes to GN'R, he just seems to put in less effort and ends up sounding OK at best. That's why people get discouraged and comment on it. 

"tickets are too high" 

-again, this is not a complaint so much as it's a statement of fact. Half full venues, even with discounts of up to 50% offf prove the point that ticket pricing for their last stadium run in the US were entirely too high. 

"setlist sucks" 

-most people on here praised the minor changes made to the setlist during the last run. And again, those who did "complain" did it from the viewpoint of trying to help. Pointing out small changes GN'R could make that would result in a more enjoyable show for the band and the audience. 

"new video sucks" 

-the actual lyric video isn't what's taking most of the criticism. The puzzling way it came about and what purpose it could possibly serve is what most people have focused on. 

So, again, what actually happens on this site is that a bunch of fans who seem to care far more about the band than the actual band itself offer their opinions on how things could be improved easily. 

Most reasonable people can see that's what happens on this site. However, GN'Rs management and some people who think of themselves as "real fans" choose to look at it as complaining just to complain. 

I think you're sadly just engaging with a troll. 

That particular poster has one agenda- claim everyone here dislikes GNR and that they must have awful lives. 

You do start to wonder really if this place is such an unlikable den of hatred for GNR quite why THEY bother to post here so often. I think if I disliked a forum quite so much I probably would find other things to do, rather than spend my time criticizing users of it continuously! 

The 'I'M THE BIGGEST AND BESTEST FAN BECAUSE I BUY EVERYTHING AND LOVE EVERYTHING' division is still alive and well seemingly. Or the usual suspects have a few new usernames! Either way, you're probably not going to get any sort of reasonable or rational debate and discussion! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

"Axl is fat" 

"GN'R merch sucks" 

"Axl's voice sucks" 

"tickets are too high" 

"setlist sucks" 

"new video sucks" 

Power to you for elaborating with this chap more than I did... I agree with most of your take here. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That particular poster has one agenda- claim everyone here dislikes GNR and that they must have awful lives. 

You do start to wonder really if this place is such an unlikable den of hatred for GNR quite why THEY bother to post here so often. I think if I disliked a forum quite so much I probably would find other things to do, rather than spend my time criticizing users of it continuously! 

The 'I'M THE BIGGEST AND BESTEST FAN BECAUSE I BUY EVERYTHING AND LOVE EVERYTHING' division is still alive and well seemingly. Or the usual suspects have a few new usernames! Either way, you're probably not going to get any sort of reasonable or rational debate and discussion! 

And there’s his minion.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, B5Redeye said:

There he is. What threads/posts are you reading? Maybe you are thinking of FB because I don’t have a FB account.

Great post Russ…you really TCB 🙄 you get a gold bonus star ️ 

It’s so easy…(followed by Mr. Brownstone).

You should chat with @Pele I'd think you'd enjoy it.

Also check out other forums, this one is pretty balanced in comparison

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

4 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Power to you for elaborating with this chap more than I did... I agree with most of your take here. 

Ahhh, I didn't realize it was a troll. Honestly thought writing out some solid reasoning would do some good. Then I saw their hald assed reply along with both of yours and understood why I shouldn't have bothered trying. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

You think this a good video? 
What’s your favourite part? When the words come on the screen??? 

Not that I was a fan of either Videos but.... 

November rain cost $1.5 million 

Estranged cost $5 million. 

This must have cost the price of the app it was made on. 

This video is terrible, from a bunch of creative people who can do a lot better. 

I like the video. That's all there is to it. 

20 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

And some will swallow whatever they’re given. 

Look at how Metallica handle they’re band and back catalogue. I’m not saying GnR are piss poor without seeing the alternative evidence from a lot of other bands who’s stuff I collect.

The recent tour I have no complaints about, I wasn’t at any of the gigs. What I heard on streams and videos, I liked. Some of the DTJ’s on this tour matched the 90s.

if you think the recent illusions merch isn’t a missed opportunity I don’t know what to say. They could have released some really cool stuff, instead as with the video it looked like paint shop designs by an amateur. 

Dont assume people who have a problem with one thing have a problem with everything. There’s lots of positive stuff with GnR happening. But that video ain’t one of them...

I do agree with you on the merchandise. It was a missed opportunity by GNR. I think the only thing that interested me was the coffee cup. 

22 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

You think this a good video? 
What’s your favourite part? When the words come on the screen??? 

Not that I was a fan of either Videos but.... 

November rain cost $1.5 million 

Estranged cost $5 million. 

This must have cost the price of the app it was made on. 

This video is terrible, from a bunch of creative people who can do a lot better. 

Yea the lyric video looks cheap, and it probably was, but they'd be out of their minds to waste tons of money on a music video nowadays. 'Epic' videos like Nov Rain or Estranged would make zero sense... it's not like they're gonna get played on MTV or be relevant to pop culture. :lol:

They can make a live video fairly cheap, or put the band on a couple of sets or green screens, whatever... but why are people acting like this is a 'real' video? It's a lyric video, not a music video. :shrugs:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Axl hasn't done a music video (to our knowledge) in nearly 30 years ... Why would anybody here think that nearly 60 year old GnR would do videos? Why I don't care about this video being "phoned" in ... Would never in a million years expect an actual music video from this band. 

Again going back to the Better video shows what happens when they try to hash out a rush job; comes out looking incredibly amateurish. I have no issue with the Hard Skool lyric video, actually thought it was kind of cool but the timing of it was truly bizarre - should've been out max. 1 week after the release.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:02 PM, IndiannaRose said:

I like the lyric video. It fits the style of the band. Obviously, a real music video would have been much better. Either way, it was released a few months too late for it to make any significant impact.

I like lyric videos so I get to know the words easily than listening to the cd or online. 

The more I watch this video the more I love this song.

Love seeing the whole GNR band and Wolfie Van Halen in their too.

19 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Axl hasn't done a music video (to our knowledge) in nearly 30 years ... Why would anybody here think that nearly 60 year old GnR would do videos? Why I don't care about this video being "phoned" in ... Would never in a million years expect an actual music video from this band. 

This reminds me of the rumor that they shot a video for Catcher in Shanghai back in 2002

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck

On 12/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, RussTCB said:

Besides the fact that YouTube disabled the ability to see dislikes, it's also humorous that you refer to the posts in this thread as "hate". There's absolutely no hate in this thread but I guess you see what you want to.

Oh, just you wait til' this thread has 20+ pages. That's when the bullshit will start rolling in faster than a new Guns N' Roses album

• Like 1